Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(WBK) 2021-22 Team

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by EastTNG8TR, Apr 6, 2021.

1. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2011
    Thoughts on next year's team?

With Kiki announcing her return for next season and Danielle Rainey and Emily Sullivan entering the portal, here is what the roster currently looks like for next season. I am going to assume Manu makes it back until we hear otherwise. Not sure if Kinslow is returning for an extra year or not so I will leave her off.

SR: Kiki Smith, Kristina Moore, *Manu de Oliviera
    JR: Lavender Briggs, Nina Rickards, Faith Dut
    SO: Jordyn Merritt, Floor Toonders, Brynn Farrell
    FR: Jeriah Warren, Alberte Rimdal, Taliyah Wyche, Tatyana Wyche

Still room for a couple of additions.

Kiki returning with a healthy Lavender and Jordyn gives us 3 really good players to build the team around with several other nice pieces returning.

What's everyone's thoughts on starters and expectations for Cam? We all know there are fans and critics of his on the board. Let's see what everyone wants to see to call next season a success.

My take:
    The experience and talent is there, and I think we all agree next season is crucial for Cam. 20+ wins has to be the expectation at this point IMO, and making it into the upper half of the conference, as well as getting back to the NCAA for the first time in several years. If we can add an impact F/C, the team could actually be VERY GOOD. The portal is loaded this year.

As for starters... my best guess

1. Kiki
    2. Lavender
    3. Manu
    4. Jordyn
    5. *transfer TBD*

I fully expect Alberte Rimdal will have a major impact. Watch out for her. She reminds me of Christinaki with her skill set.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Heading into year 5 he has to finish in the top 7 of the SEC and finish above .500 to show that the program is progressing in the right direction. His first four years they finished 11th, 12th, 10th, 12th. Yes, you can talk about talent upgrade, roster stabilization, etc.... but fans want to see results which means more Ws and fewer Ls.

46-71 overall

15-47 conference

That has to change next season. I can't see him being given more time if the team doesn't finish with a solid record.

3. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011
    I assume you mean .500 in conference? I think that is about right expectation wise. That should get us to the dance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, I have said women’s basketball at UF deserves a longer leash than some other sports given our lack of real success. But five years is more than enough to know what we have. I am far from an expert on women’s basketball. But it seems it all comes down to interior play. Without it I think it’s another mediocre year and he’s gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    Good stuff East, HUGE getting Kiki back. We have 3 star caliber players. Jordyn really stepped up late in the year.

I just have not heard enough for Manu to come back(I hope she does though)

Kiki, Kristina, Lav, Jordyn, Floor

Like you I still think we get a 5 in the portal. Alberte is going to be really good. I think Warren is better then people are giving her credit for, she was the best player in Louisiana last year. Those twins really are going to add to the athleticism in the 4/5 spot. Again their arms are very long and broad shoulders and very good footwork. Their footwork are much better then Floor or Faith on defense. Being able to be on campus is really helping the women like they did not get last year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011
    I'm not overly hopeful on Manu, but leaving her til she officially isn't making it back. Brazil recorded a record number of deaths yesterday from COVID so it doesn't look good. I think all the freshmen are solid, but I have Alberte and one twin (I think it's Taliyah that is slightly higher regarded) getting significant minutes next season. I don't see a lot of time for Jeriah til the next season with Kiki back on top of Brynn, Lavender, and Nina.

7. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Colorado
    I think Brooks and Smith will be solid performers, but that solid performance will be balanced out with the other and neither will look as good together as they did individually. Merritt will be good but not dynamic.

I don't think the freshman will contribute much, and I don't share your optimism they'll get a solid starter at the five. I actually feel the team will be more of a 2 guard, three forward team than a traditional starting five.

I hope we'll see more cohesion late in games. I think they'll continue to struggle offensively -- they were 103rd (10 SEC) in FG percentage last year -- and I don't think that improves overnight. Defensively, I just hope they get better. They ranked 256th giving up 43 percent and 265 in points scored, but a lot of that can be fixed with effort.

As for record, I think they finish 16-15, 5-11 in the SEC, which will be enough to get him yet another year because someone will make the argument that the team is getting better. It won't be enough to make the NCAA but it will be enough to get to the NIT, which will make it consecutive post season appearances.

8. dhunt0411

dhunt0411 Recruit

Oct 3, 2019
    Where do we see Nina in the mix ? Who is better overall Briggs or Smith? Kristina and Jordyn? Faith and Floor? Nina and Brynn?

9. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011

I love Nina's game, but Briggs and Kiki are elite talents. Nina may prove to be if she progresses like Kiki did. I have her getting major minutes as the first guard off the bench. Think she relieves Kiki at the point and Lavender at the 2. She could very well start at the 2 and slot Lavender at the 3. That is probably most likely if Manu doesn't make it back. They will all 3 get major minutes regardless.

I'd put Briggs slightly above Kiki, but they are different positions. A healthy Jordyn I'd put ahead of Kristina by a good bit. Floor I like better atm than Faith, but Faith still has a ton of potential. She has not played basketball all that long compared to most. Nina I'd put ahead of Brynn, but again who knows with how Brynn develops from year 1 to 2, as well as being fully healthy. Again, I think Alberte is an elite talent and gets major minutes as well. We are loaded 1-3. It's the 4-5 spots that could use some work. Jordyn is elite, but the rest are more potential than proven. I think getting Floor or Faith to make that next step is the biggest task at hand. Just my hunch, but I think Floor makes a big jump in Year 2 after adjusting to the college game. I still think we need one post player to reach our full potential though.

No idea who is recruiting her, but Chanaya Pinto at NWF Juco is someone I really hope we are pursuing. There are a couple of really nice post players in the portal as well. You can't really find much information on who is being recruited in the portal.... I will say some of these girls have made suspiciously fast commits after transferring. Recruiting can be dirty in WBB too, and I don't see Cam or UF playing that game. Hopefully he can find us an elite talent there. We will see. I think he signs at least one.

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  11. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011

Curious pick up. Didn't think we would target another guard. Definitely think we are planning on going guard heavy with this addition. She is the 3rd former 5 star on the roster now.

zipporah-broughton

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. hoosiergatorette

hoosiergatorette Freshman

Mar 17, 2020
    She is a nice player whose game didn't fit rutgers imo..and if she played for stringer she will be used to working her ass off..I've heard their practices are almost inhumane (haha?)

But really though. I imagine she will quickly find herself some playing time here

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011

We are set with our guards next year. Most talented and deepest goup I have seen in a long time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. BigIgator25

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    Super quick talented guard, HUGE upgrade over when we got Chang. Her game will fit better with us, Rutgers whenever I have seen them have been very slow to moderate paced group. We didnt have another real ball handler to go with Kiki at the end of the year after Lav got hurt. This is going to help a bunch there

• Like Like x 2
  15. BigIgator25

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    Even in other mens sports stories of her practices are things of legend almost how tough she is on her ladies at practice

16. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Would her tough practices be tolerated now with the atmosphere among many student athletes? Just asking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Sounds like a nice depth and experience add. 5’7” is the only obvious concern

18. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011
    I wouldn't worry about that height. She is more of a pure PG. Aari McDonald is around 5'6" for what it's worth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BigIgator25

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    yes, and she has softened slightly. But yes

20. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 1