Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2020. Gator Commitment. WR Leonard Manuel.Vanguard HS. Ocala FL.

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by GatorLuke, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’m saying there are no other opportunities for football players. Even from a young age kids can play baseball all the way to the pros with no schools involved. My buddy’s kid travels all over the country almost every weekend in front of crowds of mlb scouts and it has nothing to do with school. He’s a great student also but if he was as dumb as a box of rocks he would still have the same shot.

2. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

I get where you are coming from, but how does the high school determine which of the student/athletes actually is going to make it to the NFL? As we all know, the vast majority won't. Should the school just let all athletes blow off their academic responsibilities, or only the ones that might make it to the league? I just don't think the school should be put in the position of having to make that decision.

And as for the ones--the majority--that aren't going to make it, aren't they better served by having the education?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    what are "geometry graphs", and how do you "solve" them?

4. GameTime1

GameTime1 All American

Jul 27, 2015
    Still not sure what you are getting at? You think there should be AAU or travel ball for kids that want to be football players but not students?

5. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    the last few pages of this thread

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    ^This

As politically incorrect as it sounds, anybody should be able to graduate high school with any reasonable effort. They don't have to take trigonometry or linear algebra - just pass basic classes with a freaking C-. The school will help. If you think your future is football, then understand that you have to pass high school so you can get into college and pursue your football dream. The "system" is flawed for sure, but no system can, or even should work if the individual doesn't put out some effort to help his own cause.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    So are you really trying to support a path to a football career for people who are truly "dumb as a box of rocks"? People who are truly stupid? I can't see that working for the kid, because he is doomed to fail. No truly stupid, or mentally-handicapped person is going to make it in the NFL.

Is this really all about stupid people? I'm thinking not. . . .

8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    My buddy is so dyslexic, he never had a chance. Best boat captain I know and never made it through high school. Writes everything backwards and upside down. Had he been an NFL caliber talent in football He would have never had a chance. All kinds of reasons kids don’t make it through school but it shouldn’t prevent them from excelling at what they have true talent for.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Phewwww , I'm glad you guys are still going back and forth with such wonderful banter . For a second there when I seen this thread bumped to the top I thought Manuel did something horrible like decommit....again. good thing. Suppose no news is good news or is it a bunch of unrelated news in a hijacked thread is good news. Idk I'm not sure.o_O:D

10. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I
    I can see that honestly. My comment was more of an off topic quip bec it zipped through my head and not really intended to be an indictment of any of these kids. I can imagine how overwhelming it would be for some of these kids and I try not to brow beat anyone’s situation where socioeconomic things may have a kid behind the 8ball. Effort is the one thing that drives me crazy when it’s lacking. I remember terry pednleton saying one time when he was atl’s hitting coach “ I can take it out of them , I can’t put it in them “ inferring that effort and want to is essentially a prerequisite to success. The Diwun black stuff is case in point , even though he’s having to go the cc route , none of us ever doubted his want to and effort he just evidently was too far behind to overcome in that short time but I’ll say this , that kid is among the list of my favorites whether he ever plays a down for us Simply bec of his effort in the face of extreme odds.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I
    It’s sorta irrelevant. Scholarships are a business transaction. The school is betting that the lost revenue from tuition books etc when they give a kid a scholly will be worth the profits they gain from said kid playing ball at their school in one avenue or the other. It’s completely symbiotic with both using the other to get what they want from it. The outside in view from a position of age and experience we want the kids to get edu’s and degrees etc but that stuffs gonna be whatever it’s gonna be regardless. I always tell the kids to want in one hand and shit in the other and let me know which one gets full first. Some of these idealized views of the world are diff to reconcile at times. # rose colored glasses are to only be worn between noon and 3pm Thursday’s and Saturday’s and every other weekend

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    Who can argue with that?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Me too and I believe a kid like Diwun that overcomes his situation will be well prepared for future obstacles. Life is really hard and kids that have it too easy sometimes fold under pressure. I hope for kids like him that being in his position doesn’t eliminate the chance he has to make it to Sunday’s. There’s really no other option than college.

14. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Are y'all talking about Manuel or not????

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Is there any news?

16. orangebluegator

orangebluegator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I keep coming to these threads after seeing there are new posts...hoping it's something related to the topic. Maybe these off topic discussions can be had elsewhere on the board.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Nothing as of note. Seems to still be all UF according to his Twitter profile which is a great sign.

my thoughts exactly

18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    While I understand and respect your argument here - and respect your buddy for persevering in the face of a huge handicap - the statement I highlighted above pretty much enforces my point. The debate going on here isn't about getting severely handicapped kids into college so they can play football, because they are destined to fail at the next level. This is about kids who do have the mental capacity to graduate high school, which is pretty much everybody except the severely handicapped. For all these people, the previously stated opinion still stands:

"....anybody should be able to graduate high school with any reasonable effort. They don't have to take trigonometry or linear algebra - just pass basic classes with a freaking C-. The school will help. If you think your future is football, then understand that you have to pass high school so you can get into college and pursue your football dream. The "system" is flawed for sure, but no system can, or even should work if the individual doesn't put out some effort to help his own cause."

• Like Like x 1
  19. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

You guys have successfully killed this recruiting thread

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    His only problem, every time he tried to punt, the ball didn't go very far in the right direction...............I'll wait.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1