Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

2020. Feb. 19th. The 9th. Democrats Presidential Candidates Debate. 9:00 P.M. ET. NBC, MSNBC.

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by RayGator, Feb 19, 2020.

1. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    First, rules are rules and it takes a majority of delegates to win the nomination. Bernie may have a valid argument if in the end he has a large plurality, hypothetically 48% over the next closest candidate at 35%. Not so much if his total is under 40%. And interestingly, Bernie took the exact opposite position four years ago, i.e. a plurality short of a majority prior to the convention shouldn't guarantee the nomination.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Big mistake on the part of Bloomberg although he has plenty of time to overcome it. Everyone knows that NDAs are used when one party in a lawsuit has disproportionate power and the party with the power pressures that other party to sign the NDA in exchange for a relatively lucrative settlement. At this point Bloomberg should admit the inappropriate behavior and either release the women from the NDAs or provide a very strong rationale for retaining them and labeling the agreements as consensual is not sufficient.

3. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bloomberg showed last night that yes he's a Billionaire but he's not like Trump. He doesn't run his business, others do it for him and he just is the figurehead.

My wife owns a print shop with nearly 50 employees and her niche has been the target of her other competitors. So all of her employees sign NDAs that say they can't work for a competitor for 2 years or give away secrets for 2 years or decide to directly compete with her for 2 years. Bloomberg completely unraveled during that question - Warren was playing him for a fool. Disappointing. This is going to be a long 5 months.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think you're confusing nondisclosure agreements (NDAs) with noncompete agreements, not the same. NDAs are used in lawsuit settlements to prevent the disclosure of the amount of the settlement and the facts of the lawsuit. Apparently, Bloomberg used them in sexual harassment suits and they're very common in medical malpractice lawsuits where they have effect of protecting incompetent physicians. Trump apparently has a very long history of using NDAs to prevent his employees from disclosing improper/illegal business practices. Under noncompete agreements employees agree not to work for competitors or to open their own competing businesses for a fixed amount of time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Problem is she is......

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

Perhaps, but basically everyone on stage except Bernie no longer thinks they can win an outright majority after only 2 primaries (even Pete who at this moment has a slight delegate lead). No one else is playing to win. That's got to be dispiriting for their supporters!

7. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    They should have said the one with the most from the voters going in should be the nominee but they already know the plan if the DNC thinks they can get away with it. The Bernie supporters will go nuts.

8. Gatorhall

Gatorhall Premium Member

Apr 15, 2007
    North Florida
    Oh come on it was very entertaining!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  9. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    You wish you were as musically accomplished as Reggie Watts.

10. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I suspect the way they’ll play that is that they’re not saying they won’t have the most delegates, only that the DNC has rules for how the nominee is selected, “guy with a plurality wins” isn’t what those rules are, and you can’t change the rules midcourse. And they’ll be bolstered in that by the fact that Bernie’s position four years ago was the exact opposite when he thought maybe Hillary would get a plurality if delegates but not the majority.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

I'm just saying if any of the "no's" expected to have the most delegates or win outright, they'd be saying "yes." They're basically playing to have some chips to possibly play. And on some level, that has to suck if you are a supporter of them. Why back a loser knowing you donation is basically just to keep them in the race a bit longer and maybe have a few more delegates to trade. You'd expect that from Bloomberg, that's his whole strategy. But Biden and Pete want to think of themselves as frontrunners, but now they are like "nah" we're playing to lose, but have influence.

12. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He looked bad. I really liked Bernie and Liz. Would Bernie hurt the country, who knows. Would his effectiveness be limited or mitigated by Democrats that aren’t on board and Republicans who of course will not work with him? In the final analysis Bernie probably could t get enough of what he wants to endanger the status quo- the line that Democrats and Republicans together hold for big business and billionaires. I think Bernie would be fun. Pete’s not man enough, Biden’s probably done, Klobuchar is a great lady but.... leaves us with Bernie. He and the Dems can at least screw the country and tip the popular vote scales when they give voting rights to the 25 million all but Spanish speaking illegals here. And god knows they will cement chain migration not as an economic right but “a basic human right” that every once felonious illegal deserves. That will make America great.

13. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Who do you think he picks as a VP. Gov Patrick or Liz Warren ?

14. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    He might do well to pick a Dem from the South, but I don't think it'll be much of a needle mover either way. If he picks another northeast lib like Warren, then he deserves the landslide shellacking he would no doubt receive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Ladies and Gentlemen, the face of the Democratic Party:

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I would believe Dems are going to lose no matter what but Bernie appeals to sense of fairness and real promise for a fair future to a lot of people. I don’t count him out. The biggest thing Bernie has going for him is Trump steps on himself one way or the other weekly. Instead of inviting people in he turned them off and imho eventually- if not already- he’s going to turn many of his 16’ voters off. They might collectively think “Great, we have a strong economy but you are an insufferable unrelenting and uncooperative pig of a person.” and not turn out where Bernie could become somewhat the type of movement Obama represented, real change. We know of course what Obama really is/was.

17. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And the face of the Republican Party
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

All I can takeaway from that shitshow was....
    One positive thing came out of it...

We're not going to be seeing very many more Bloomberg commercials anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  19. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I wouldn't bet the farm on that one

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Stick a fork in him, he's done. If his hubris moves him to double down on ad spending, he is exactly what everybody was pointing out to us last night.