Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2020 DT's

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bvgator789, Feb 8, 2019.

1. bvgator789

bvgator789 All American

Nov 29, 2018
    Was just on 247 sports looking at the DT rankings and what not.....would be a great DT class if we keep Brown and Dexter. Oh also Tim Smith has high interest in Florida and a Clemson insider just Crystal Balled Smith to UF. Now its very early but for what its worth Tim Smith has been favored to Clemson so interesting that their insider put his crystal ball in for UF. And yes its just crystal balls and we know how that goes but just a little tidbit. And by the way if UF were to just sign these 3 for DT they are all ranked in the top 10 in the country for the DT position.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    Smith, I believe, is the top priority left on the board. Brown is someone can flex out to SDE. Would make an incredible class

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    I think we should take 3 TRUE defensive tackles this draft. We HAVE to at this point

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I would change that to four DT/SSDE types. We whiffed last year and only got one this year. So far, Smith is the only one who will clearly be a DT and likely a NT. Gervin, Brown, Smith and a fourth player in the 275 to 300 range who can immediately project at the three-technique spot. Jordan Butler from IMG looks like a good fit there.

Is anybody concerned about Smith's size? There's not a history of guys that big being successful on the DL in UF's system. Maybe he'll get put on the Jawaan Taylor diet and workout program.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. bernie_lomax

bernie_lomax Junior

Jan 26, 2016
    Is it possible to outgrow (height wise) the DT position? Dexter is 6’6”+
    I haven’t seen many DTs with that height. Possibly a large DE?

We also don’t know what position Carter and Langham (also 6’6”+) will play. The position flexibility of three guys could be nice. Another few Jonathan Bullards is ideal. Either way we need ~4-5 large DLs this class.

6. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    John Henderson comes to mind (not ours but a Vol and Jag)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

Smith got CB'ed to UF because Clemson already filled their DT class for 2020. UF was his 2nd choice.

• Informative Informative x 5
  8. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    2 SDE's to remember Ed "Too Tall" Jones and John Matuszak 6'9" and 6'8" respectively...talk about setting the edge

• Like Like x 1
  9. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    That's not really tall for the three technique position. They don't need the same low center of gravity that you want in a NT. We've had a few guys that height. It helps to have long arms.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    If that is the case, I am fine with coming in second to win him if that happens. He and the two Clemson commits being so similarly ranked, it is likely the case that he was the only one of the three who wanted to wait it out when told to commit or lose his spot. Unless something amazing falls into our lap from out of state, I don't see us going out of state for a DT or DE with how loaded the state is this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    Great point. If there was ever a year where we could fill all our needs in state, this would be it. DL is as deep as I’ve ever seen it ...and it’s a pretty good year for OL as well. We could just pull from FL & GA this cycle and be in great shape.

12. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    But we won't. There are a few players at the top of our board from NJ, CA, DC and Louisiana who already have interest in UF. Not seeing a lot of LB talent in Florida, so we'll probably go out of state for one or two.

We don't own the state yet. Miami has the #3 class in the country and every commit is from Florida. It won't hold but we'll be lucky to win half the head-to-head battles in Dade, Broward and PB. Let's just get them wherever they grow.

13. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    I don’t disagree with that. Just pointing out that it’s just not the speed and skill positions this year in FL... pretty diverse.

I don’t think we’ll ever be at a point where we’re filling 80% of our roster with FL kids and shutting down pipelines with out of state schools. Times have changed. It will never be that way again. I do agree that we need to get our fair share of the states Top 20 recruits.

14. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    17 would seem like a fair split, with Miami getting one, fsu getting one and then one going out of state.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    I'd be curious at what percentage of the top 20 guys on a given year are even a take for this coaching staff based just on character, personality and scheme fit.

16. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Any chance Ethan White can play DT? After watching some of his film he actually moves really well for a 350+ lb kid and is very aggressive.

17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

You know... we've seen this movie before. They're just keeping our best guys/recruits happy for us summertime in the summertime. ;):)

18. Nostradamus

Nostradamus All American

Sep 18, 2015
    I watched his film (from when he was a jr at 330 or so) and there was one clip where he chases an interception down the opposite sideline from where he was playing O line and honestly mostly kept up with the WR and DBs. He took a good angle which helped, but yeah, he can move. I made a gif of that clip but get an error when trying to upload it to GC.

19. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think UF may load up this year.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I hope so, we're losing a ton of experience after next year and we need a lot of good talent to get back up to SEC speed.