Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2020 D1Baseball Preseason Top 25 added UF's take on the rankings

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Jan 13, 2020.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    2020 D1Baseball Preseason Top 25
    Top 25 D1 Baseball Staff - January 13, 2020
    Get the early bird special! Subscribe today with coupon code: fall2019 and get 25% off an annual subscription! Join Today!

SEE ALSO: All-Decade Team | Top 150 Prospects | Top 100 Programs | Fall Workouts Central
    Have a chat question about the rankings?
    For the first time in the six-year history of the D1Baseball Top 25, the Louisville Cardinals are ranked No. 1. The Cards have spent plenty of time in the No. 2 slot over the previous five years, but they’ll head into the 2020 season at the top of the rankings, with a roster loaded with returning stars from a team that reached the national semifinals last spring.

The team that eliminated Louisville from the College World Series last June is reigning national champion Vanderbilt, which heads into the season ranked No. 2 on the strength of a battle-tested, star-studded pitching staff. The top five is rounded out by three teams that were knocked out in regionals a year ago: No. 3 Miami, No. 4 Florida and No. 5 Georgia.

Four 2019 CWS participants slot in among the next five spots: No. 6 Texas Tech, No. 7 Arkansas, No. 8 Auburn and No. 10 Mississippi State. High-powered Arizona State checks in at No. 9, the highest-ranked team in the West. The final two 2019 CWS teams check in at No. 12 (Florida State) and No. 13 (national runner-up Michigan).

The SEC leads all conferences with nine teams in the Top 25, including three of the top five and six of the top 10. The ACC is next with eight teams in the Top 25, followed by the Pac-12 and Big 12 with three apiece.
    2020 D1Baseball Preseason Top 25 • D1Baseball

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Wow, #4? That is a lot of faith in the arms.

Miami is getting a lot of love. Clearly I don’t follow as close as I used to. They haven’t impressed me in quite a while (2015 I think when UF tore them apart in Omaha).

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. gators4life

gators4life Premium Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Gainesville,FL
    Perfect Game has us at #13. I think we should be somewhere in that 8-10 range.

I will probably be in Coral Gables again this year. I have been to the last three series there, and the most excitement UM fans have is usually waiting in line for a milkshake (order in the stands if you are smart).

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yes I think we will be better but not Top 5 better...
    I hope I'm wrong.

5. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I don't have a subscription to D1 (it's hard to believe anyone does), so I can't read their UF write-up, but they got a bunch of questions in today's chat (even though those jerks didn't answer my Q) about Florida and both Fitt and Rogers love the Gators. Love love love.

Alan: I saw Kendall’s comment on Twitter about Florida having a very good weekend rotation. Even as a Florida fan, I’m pretty surprised by that comment. I like the depth of the overall staff, but I actually see the rotation as the weakest point of the team. There’s no All-American type like usual and Mace/Leftwich seem like just average at best guys in the SEC. What am I missing?

Aaron Fitt: If you’re looking only at last year’s numbers, you’re right — Mace and Leftwich struggled last year. But they both have serious potential — it’s legit Friday night talent for both of these guys, and I expect them to blossom into reliable frontline starters as juniors. It takes some guys longer than others to get there, but we’ve seen other power arms come into their own as juniors before at Florida (Dane Dunning comes to mind — these guys might follow a similar trajectory). I also love Hunter Barco, I think he’s gonna be a stud from the outset of his career. And guys like Nick Pogue, David Luethje and Ben Specht all have obvious weekend starter ability as well, giving the Gators plenty of other options if somebody falters. Those are all power-armed sophomores that should take big steps forward this year. In sum — yes, there’s still some risk with that rotation, those guys need to prove themselves. But I think it’s the deepest pitching staff in the country, and Sully will find a way to put the right guys i

KD: Yall are much higher on Florida (10+ spots) than any other publication releasing their pre-season rankings so far. I know yall are always very high on Sully but what specifically has you ranking them Top 5?

Aaron Fitt: Put it this way: I saw just about all of the ACC and SEC this fall, and I saw Florida twice… and they were the best team I saw all fall. Fall ball is not the SEC season, but I’m just in love with the talent, balance and depth of this roster. And frankly I trust my own instincts on this one — I don’t mind being out in front on the Gators. They’re going to be really, really good. For more, read the Top 25 breakdown on Florida that we just posted.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Love those comments but boy is it hard to forget the Ole Miss and LSU weekends when I saw UF get steamrolled out of the park. They weren’t in the same age bracket from the 6 games I attended.

Had a great time though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    That’s a lot of love. I hope the team backs it up. I am thinking more 20-30 range. I don’t have faith in the returning rotation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I’m taking a wait and see approach. Want the team To earn their rankings - especially after last season.....and given our woes with our hoops team.

I figure we’ll need some time to evolve, mature, find our way, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The talent on the staff is there....it just has to translate CONSISTENTLY to the field. IMO it still didn't happen in the fall, which is scary. But if they put it together, look out

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    LOL, yep. Want me to pay for opinions I probably wont agree with?? Think you even have to pay for their scoreboard now.. crazy. They have or had a nifty scoreboard page, but Always been the one publication I all but ignore when comes to substance..

11. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I think my big concern with the pitching staff is that isn't any anchor of reliability at the moment. You're always going to have turnover - it's a college sport, you can't bring everyone back. You always have to break in new talent at some point. But normally you'd like to go into a season with a couple guys you could look at and say, "OK, I'm going to get 160 [or whatever] quality innings from those two."

And we don't have anyone like that. Who's our most successful returning pitcher? Excluding Langworthy, it's Leuthje, who posted a 3.86 ERA last year but had poor peripherals. After him, it's probably Pogue. Our Friday night ace is going to be one of two pitchers with a 5+ ERA.

That doesn't mean they can't get better - I remain a big Jack Leftwich fan. But there's not a single pitcher on the roster I can confidently predict will actually be good in 2020.

12. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    So let me get this straight.....
    D1 has us at #4 in the nation but the SEC Coaches have us at #5 in our conference. Can you spell d-i-s-c-r-e-p-a-n-c-y?
    Edit:
    Oops I do have a discrepancy. That #5 was for softball not baseball. It will be interesting to see where the SEC baseball coaches think we are at.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Yes: d-i-s-c-r-e-p-a-n-c-y

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Yeah, that wasn’t happening without the aid of spell check... Damn engineering degree!

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Wednesday, January 15, 2020
    Gators Ranked No. 4 in D1Baseball Preseason Top 25
    Zach Dirlam UF
    Florida is making its sixth consecutive appearance in the top six of D1Baseball's Preseason Top 25
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Another week, another preseason ranking. This time around, the University of Florida baseball team is not only a top-15 team, but a top-5 team, according to D1Baseball's Preseason Top 25 which was released earlier this week.

D1Baseball began rankings prior to the 2015 season and the Gators have ranked in the top six each year during the preseason (2019 - No. 6; 2018 - No. 1; 2017 - No. 2; 2016 - No. 1; 2015 - No. 2). Eight other Southeastern Conference programs joined Florida in the ranking -- five of which are with the Gators in the top 10.

Eight of Florida's 2020 opponents are ranked as well, including five of the top eight teams: at No. 3 Miami (Feb. 21-23), No. 5 Georgia (March 13-15), at No. 7 Arkansas (April 2-4), at No. 8 Auburn (May 1-3), and No. 2 Vanderbilt (May 7-9). Other ranked opponents traveling to Gainesville this year are: No. 12 Florida State (March 10), No. 20 Texas A&M (March 27-29), and No. 25 Ole Miss (April 24-26).

D1Baseball also put together breakdowns of each team ranked in its preseason top 25, and the Gators rated highly in hitting (65 of 80), power (70 of 80), and the bullpen (70 of 80). Follow this link to read the complete breakdown.

Gators Ranked No. 4 in D1Baseball Preseason Top 25 - Florida Gators

16. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Woah, that's some pretty high expectations. Hope somebody knows something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Agreed 2x—

If it turns out like this then our expected Friday and Saturday SP’s are going to break out and really excel—AND THAT’S FINE WITH ME!!!

• Winner Winner x 2