Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2020 class - numbers/position

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by 4RoswellGators, Mar 16, 2020.

1. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Candy, Bobby, anyone in the know ...

I'm assuming we are going sign at least 25 but was curious if it's possible for us to sign more this year.

In addition, does anyone know how many players at each position we are going to sign?

I'm guessing we're going to take 3 DT's but we really only need 2 DEs and one Buck. However, there are several studs at each of those positions who are currently interested. I bet most of them are +1 type players but maybe not?

2. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    I heard it's 25 at the MINIMUM and we know that number may go up a bit with attrition if/when the spring practices go down.

3. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    What about #'s at each position?
    I'm guessing we're done at QB and TE ... and one more RB.
    What about the other positions?

4. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    It will vary.

The offensive side isn’t as deep or talented in state this year, sans WR. While the defensive side is loaded. We will be put in a position in some spots where we are faced with a decision of ...do we take a RB or OT where we have needs but have to settle further down the board or do we take another stud at S or DE that is not necessarily needed. There just isn’t a finite #.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I'd say its still too early to make a good prediction. Maybe after spring practice some numbers might look a little more clearer. It looks like we are getting over balanced on the defensive line but some on here think we can use all we can get. We could sign anywhere from 4 to 6 at DL depending on who stays and who goes. Then there is the curious case of OL Wardrick Wilson. Who knows what will ever result form his place on the team. If I had to guess looking at the spreadsheet I'd conservatively say.....
    2- QB
    1- RB (Assuming 1 current player leaves)
    3- WR
    2- TE (Is Pitts gone if not this position will be 1 over))
    5- OL (With or without Wilson)
    5- DL (Assumes at least 1 leaves early)
    2- LB (Who's a LB and who's a DE???)
    4- DB (3 Safety and 1 CB)
    1- ATH
    Looks like it adds up to 25 for now. Right now I have us at 85 on scholly with 17 seniors so 8 would be leaving early or transferring. With a good year ahead and the age of the portal we should lose more than 7 in a year's time so the number might go up. The tough part is predicting who leaves.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    If there’s a spring practice.

7. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    There won't be.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Gator_n_Bmore

Gator_n_Bmore Premium Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Can’t ever take just 1 corner

9. Joaqui

Joaqui Junior

Jul 17, 2016
    From everything I have seen this is going to be a defensive focused class. I expect the best players in this class to be on the defensive side.
    I think we are done at qb and te like someone said. And I agree that we take 3-4 wrs
    1 rb (I’m counting the palmetto guy as an ath/wr)
    4-5 OL

I think the numbers on defense will be fluid depending on who wants in.

10. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Normally I agree but we have plenty for this slot already. If Trey Dean stays at safety and Marco Wilson departs then another spot will be open for a second CB. We also need to see what positions all the new freshmen settle at CB/Star/S. Its always a fluid situation. But I like to add one for every spot every year other than OL where 4 a year is plenty. The safety spot is out of proportion so we need to load up since we lose 4 seniors.

11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

We need a lot more out of Trey Dean in his 3rd year than we've been getting the past 2 seasons

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree with you about last year, but imo he saved us his freshman year and did awfully well for a true freshman playing corner

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Yes he did. I guess that’s why his performance last year was disappointing to me. But let’s hope he comes out on fire in his 3rd season. Let’s hope there are games to play....

Go Gators

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree. I thought Trey played very well as a freshman. Last year he left alot to be desired.

However, I think this kid has all the tools to be a beast. Very athletic, 6'3", he can run....he needs a little extra work in the film room, on the field....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1