Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2019. New Gator. CB Kaiir Elam. 6-1 185. Benjamin School, North Palm Beach FL.

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by eastowest, Jan 7, 2019.

1. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    Parents, siblings and Matt

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. the_abided

the_abided Freshman

Jan 9, 2019
    Georgia is very respectable academically, though still firmly behind UF. After Georgia though, the SEC is pretty atrocious academically. Texas A&M is the next school and ranking wise they are nearly tied with FSU, and far behind UGA. FSU is well ahead of all the other SEC schools (no others in the top 100), but of course isn't even close to UF outside of a few exceptions that have already been mentioned in fine arts and music.

In general Florida public Uni's are all shooting up big time in the rankings. UF, FSU, USF, and UCF have all seen major improvement and I expect that will continue based on the metrics USNWR uses.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm not sure they are still #1 but they are close. My son is a freshman at UGA but looked at USC because of their IB school. He would have gone to UF if he was going to be an engineer...he's going the business route.

UGA's business school is fantastic and just a few slots behind UF's.

UGA is insanely hard to get into because the smart kids stay in-state so they can get the Hope and Zell scholly's (free tuition) ... it is the ultimate deal. We have a good friend of ours that did not get into UGA but got into UF. Maybe it was the out-of-state thing but I know there are a lot of super smart kids that do not get into UGA now.

Like UF, a lot of UGA students did not grow up UGA fans. They go there because it's a great school and an even better deal.

I must admit Athens is the coolest college town I've ever visited. Plus Creature Comforts is two blocks from campus.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  4. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    You and me have a different definition of "cool". Been to Athens many times for work and I'm not that impressed. Especially in winter. Would much prefer to be in Gville, FL for school or otherwise. Now Clemson was nice. I liked it much better than Athens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    GC posters talk of Athens like it's Starkville but R.E.M., B-52s, and Widespread Panic tell me different

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    It’s a cool place , as long as u can get away from the uga people .....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    One of my favorite Widespread Panic songs. It's an amazing song, great drums. Amazing what a little harmonica added in can do!

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    I turned in my O&B goggles when I had kids...just see things differently after they were born.

Athens has a great downtown area, two of the best breweries in the SE (Creature and Terrapin) and the music scene (referenced above) is fantastic. We had a great time during parents weekend.

Over the past year we've toured over 15 colleges. Alabama has the nicest campus - they give 100% of the football money to campus enhancements. Everything is brand new and looks amazing. Their dorms are light years ahead of anything at UF.
    UGA had the best downtown area and great campus.
    UNC, UVA and Clemson were in the next tier.
    Did not like Ga Tech, Duke or USC.
    UF was middle of the pack...right there with Auburn.

9. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Are those campus enhancements 6’1” corners with 4.4’s etc

10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Wsmfp

11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Vandy can’t play football so they don’t count?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Ha! Yeah ... and about 10,000 hot moms with their hot daughters.

Not only is Alabama a recruiting juggernaut in football ... they are just as aggressive in how they recruit students. They hit N. Fulton very hard. There is a lot of $$ in N. Fulton and most kids don't get into UGA so Bama hits them with all they got (because they can afford out of state tuition) -- multiple visits to their high school, mailings, bill boards, emails, etc...

Once they get you on campus they roll out the red carpet for the prospective students. It was unreal what they did for us (lunch in the big donors box in the stadium, swag for the entire family, private campus tours, small groups with the dean of your college of choice, one on one with academic advisor, etc...). All with someone who looks like a super model.

The other schools put you in a group of 25-30 and walk you around the campus for an hour.

13. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life All American

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    I strongly disagree with the turning in your orange and blue goggles part but everything else is more or less true. though you shouldn't judge Georgia Tech by the same standards as it's an urban campus not College town. Athens is one of the best college towns in southeast while Gainesville is very middle-of-the-road... though I don't find the campuses all that different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    Yes plumbers and electricians go to school too, the idea of music and theatre being majors is funny. How much people make isn't relevant,

15. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Good luck with that. :cool: Even without them it's very drab in the winter. Only nice time IMO is when cherry trees and dogwoods are in bloom and even then it ain't much. There's no nice lake nearby that I know of and no mountains. Of course Gville has no mountains either but at least every tree doesn't look dead in winter and it's not near as cold.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    If you're into music like that then I guess there's some appeal. Not a big deal for me though.

17. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    ...someone needs to recite that story about when two U of Michigan students came to Gainesville in late January/early February.

18. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Auburn? Alabama? Now I know we have very very different tastes. :cool: UVA was pretty nice in addition to CU. I'd prefer Westwood (UCLA) or Austin (Texas) over ugaly, gumps and auburn by a mile. In fact Tuscaloosa is where I'll go when I die if I go to hell. :(

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008

20. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Still not as good as Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, but maybe they stayed in Athens longer than Tom Petty stayed in Gainesville... after fame.

• Agree Agree x 1