Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2019. New Gator. CB Kaiir Elam. 6-1 185. Benjamin School, North Palm Beach FL.

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by eastowest, Jan 7, 2019.

1. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I don't think Elam is a "must-have." Considering the existing DBs on the roster, a DB group of Steele, Hill and Kimbrough is more than fine (Steele was the must-have this year).

But I do think Elam is representative of the kind of fights we need to win moving forward, even if losing this particular battle won't be crippling. Championship programs burst at the seams with talent - they have back-ups who would be starters elsewhere. One group of all-conference performers excels and leaves for the NFL draft, and the next wave of future all-conference performers steps in to take their places.

And that depth gives you the ability to weather injuries or other misfortunes. We went into last year with a starting CB duo that was as good as any in the conference, but then Wilson got hurt and we basically lost the Georgia game because we couldn't cover their receivers.

Bringing in Elam alongside Steele gives you two elite, high-end DBs in the same class, which really strengthens the depth chart and sets us up perfectly moving forward.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. JStewUF

JStewUF Sophomore

Feb 2, 2011
    I was thinking Thornton

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. goneagaingator

goneagaingator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I do. Gator legacy, with two starters likely gone after next year. Georgia offers that kid nothing that Florida doesn’t.

And I hope we do better than just getting one of Elam, Moore and Mark Richards. Muschamp and Mac would’ve only gone one for three. One for three down the stretch every year will give you a ceiling of ten wins, and you can look forward to an annual trip to the Outback Bowl to blow a team like Iowa out. One for three every year will give you CJ McWilliams on an island getting burned in the biggest of big games, over and over.

I’m tired of one for three. Mullen has to go above and beyond the bare minimum regularly to do more than blow out chumps in bowls that mean nothing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    But you are randomly picking the players for your "one of three". It totally discounts the bulk of the class. Why can't the 3 be Jaydon Hill, Chris Steele, and Elam? Or any other combo for that matter. You have to look at the class as a whole

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. g8rboy

g8rboy VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    IMG_3916.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Good stuff GoneAgain. And we have to stop letting so much home-grown Florida talent go off to out-of-state rivals. Florida kids need to once again feel that they should represent their state--at The University of Florida!

7. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't know when or what happened to Sate Pride. Let's hope it can be revived.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    Florida man happened

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    do you wish to expound?

10. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Idk if it's all of FL, but I'm born and raised in a small town with mostly all born and bred Floridians. Almost all my childhood years most of kids I grew up with hated this state and most wanted to move away as quickly as they could. I just wonder since we're so full of transplants that kids grow up hearing how "wonderful" their parents home state was that it's just indoctrinated to get outta FL? As a blue blood Floridian, it's both irritating and sad that so little have state pride.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. timthibault

timthibault Sophomore

Aug 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
  13. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
  14. doctorg8r

doctorg8r Junior

Dec 11, 2018
    I feel very positive about Elam, and I think we get him. It just so happens that Elam and family were not fans of Warren, and UGA did not improve their chances with Elam. In fact, I think the Dawgs hurt themselves with the hire, and helped the Gators with Gray. The Elam family knows Torrian Gray, and the recent hire is a plus for Kaiir. I am not saying Elam is a lock, but I am expecting the good guys will get him on NSD!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. jackchen

jackchen Freshman

Sep 8, 2018
    Well said. I hope Elam family can see what type of person Warren and Kirby are.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. jimmyc41

jimmyc41 Freshman

Nov 18, 2018
    This, times a thousand. At some point state pride has totally left the building. Have wondered about these dynamics myself. Seems to have coincided with the advent of 7 on 7 (although other recruiting factors are in play, to be sure), I blame mallenials, lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    High school offenses probably throw to the opposite side of Elam now which gives him fewer shots at interceptions. Having Steele at the opposite corner from Elam means for the next three years opposing offenses won't always throw to the opposite side.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  19. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I think the 'other' recruiting factors are what is mostly to blame.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Didn't they have a Dean Martin too? Or was that some other flick.

To the OP and the person that thinks we got the "three' that we need. I say get them all and let them all play tons right now as freshmen next season. Hell we can run a 5-7 defense with that crew... :D;):)