Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2019 NBA Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by exiledgator, Jun 5, 2019.

1. A100

A100 Sophomore

Oct 8, 2011
    This free agency is like watching sides being chosen for some pick-up games, organized by billionaires. Of course there will be a do-over after the All-star game.

• Funny Funny x 4
  2. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

I personally agree with ranking LeBron, AD & Kawhi in the league's top 5, but you didn't hear much about AD being in the top 5 before he decided to join LeBron. I usually had to remind people about AD when the top players in the league were discussed in threads on here, as most people correlate team accomplishments (and struggles) to individual player rankings. And I recall Mr. Barkley discussing his top 5 players a few weeks ago and Kenny asking him why he left off a couple of other players....and none of the 7 players mentioned included AD. No wonder AD wanted a change of scenery.

And, a lot of people were writing off LeBron as well for: being beyond his prime (might be true, but I'll withhold judgment for now); having no chance to win another ring (again, that's a team accomplishment); and no one good wants to play with him (that will actually be amusing if Kawhi joins them too, although I'm not holding my breath on that happening). The general mood in the Twitterverse seemed to be that LeBron had become irrelevant with his move from the East to the Lakers. So, it seemed maybe LeBron's ranking was plummeting with most people as well. :cool: Makes me wonder what people are so afraid of... :p

The Lakers have 2 very good players (I think possibly the 2 best in the league), but they still need to put together a good team/roster and get them coached up with a new coach (who I think is pretty good). If they can do that, then they can start worrying about the possibility of winning rings. Two star players alone won't guarantee anything.

3. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    ^^^ well, the Kawhi to Lakers thing looks pretty hot right now...

4. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    As a fan of LeBron, I'm not sure I even want Kawhi to join them. All the people laughing at LeBron's "disastrous" move to the Lakers and how no free agents want to play with LeBron will now be enraged that he (not the Lakers mind you) would be stacking the deck. We'll see. Interesting, nonetheless.

5. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
  6. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    I think anyone but a fool (kyrie) would want to play with lebron. The idea of Kawhi heading there to be the 3rd option is pretty sad though. But so is the NBA salary cap. The Lakers had no money after the AD trade. Now AD gave up 4 mil for a number, and all the Lakers signings dont affect the cap so they have the most money in the league. Weird.

Watching Kawhi and the Raptors win was the most refreshing thing I've seen in a long time. Hopefully it doesnt revert back to stacking deck.

7. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Heard an interesting fact today about the Sixers....tobias Harris with a max deal and never made an allstar team. Ben Simmons with a max extension and never made a 3 pointer. Wow.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

That was surprising about the Lakers cap room. A few weeks ago I was reading stories that acted like they couldn't afford much of anything to put around LeBron and AD (except Kuzma) - and 2 great players with nothing around them doesn't sound like a "super team" to me. But, now everything looks good! Was it all because AD gave up a measly $4 million?

I don't claim to know anything about cap rules, but it's pretty confusing. But, I also don't hear any of the other teams claiming that there's any rule breaking going on with respect to the Lakers having cap space so I assume a Kawhi signing would be within the rules. I still don't think it will happen for some gut reason.

To me, the only "super team" (i.e., "stacked deck") I've ever seen (besides the "Dream Team" and I missed the Celtics of the 60's) was the Warriors of the last 3 years until their injury bug during these playoffs. I would define a "super team" as a team so stacked that it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that they'll win the championship. I never felt the Finals winners were a foregone conclusion in the 70's, 80's, 90's (yes even when MJ was playing), and 00's. I did with the Warriors after they obtained KD. And, I'm one of those who still thinks a healthy Warriors team this year would have taken care of the Raptors (who were pressed to the limit in the earlier playoff rounds) despite their regular season head-to-head results, which I never put much credence in.

Before anyone mentions the Rockets pushing the Warriors to 7 games the year before, I never believed the Rockets would pull it off even before I found out Paul was out of the series. I was telling my friend I'd believe it (Rockets win) when I saw it and that I'd still bet on the Warriors with no doubt (if I were to bet).

9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Lakers are a high revenue team with deep pockets. They were routinely over the cap in the Kobe years. Ownership does not mind paying the tax for a winner. AD may find his game suffers, much the way Bosh and Love stats regressed upon playing with Lebron. Chris Bosh has publicly said it is difficult to play with Lebron as a 3rd option. If Kawhi joined the Lakers, AD would be a defensive and rebounding priority and not get as many touches on offensive end

10. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Somewhat but all three players at this point are cognizant of the fact they can rest more if they team up. Lebron was ridden hard the first 15 years of his career. This is the first off season in a decade he’s getting extended rest. There’s a reason he gave up his number to AD and has made assurances to KL.

• Like Like x 1
  11. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Now that he's in the twilight of his career, I think Lebron will be more willing to defer to AD. Last season was the first time he's ever dealt with a serious injury so that was a wake-up call reminding him he's older now and can't carry the loads that he used to. Honestly I don't even think they needed to add Kawhi with the remaining cap space they had available, if they just added some 3 and D guys and bench depth they would've been fine. Alas, all the prominent FAs have signed deals, so it's basically Kawhi or signing the corpses of guys like Monta Ellis and Amare Stoudemire.

12. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Here are my free agency thoughts:

I think it's terrible and awesome at the same time. I think they need to change up the rules and also enforce the rules. Shore up the salary cap and fix the "max deal" loopholes. There are too many of them.

Who is the favorite next year?

I would take the field against all teams.

Here is how I would rank them as of today.

Philadelphia 76ers - I think it's their time. They could end up like the Thunder and miss their window, but I think the parity in the league will help this this year. They need another shooter, but I am sure they will find one.

Los Angeles Lakers - Without adding anyone else, LeBron and The Brow are probably the best duo in the league. LeBron alone is usually a contender. Boogie and Danny Green will pleasantly surprise and if Rondo isn't a disaster I think they will be the favorites in the West.

Milwaukee Bucks - The Greek Freak! That is the reason they are this high. They don't really have the roster to be favorites, but I think Giannis is only getting better. I still don't think they will be able to beat the 76'ers, but they should be there in the end. I expect a monster Regular Season (60-64 wins).

Los Angeles Clippers - I'm not sold on Paul George as a #2 star. Kahwi has proven he can win with less talent, so they are here. There was a perfect storm of Kahwi in the zone and injuries to the Dubs. If GS was healthy, it would have been a massacre.

Golden State Warriors - Steph and Klay are the 2nd best duo in the league and if I was starting a team now, I would pick them #1. DeAngelo will be interesting if they keep him. They obviously need some size, but I think they have some good young talent.

Nets - If Durant plays, they will have a chance to win. He's that good. It's that simple.

• Like Like x 1
  13. INGATORSWETRUST

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    ^^^ Don’t think Durant will be back next season due to lateness of his Achilles injury. Tough injury to come back from at 32

No one mentions the Warriors signing of Cauley-Stein. Excellent signing that makes them younger. They only trade DeAngelo if Klay is back healthy. Even then, made team younger and more athletic

Agree with you regarding Clippers and Paul George shooting ability, but he and KL make up a great defensive team at their positions. Perhaps best in the league

Not sure about the Lakers. Lebron is getting older and started showing his age and injury bug. Hard for an athlete at 250 plus to play as he does and remain injury free later in career.

Bucks and 76ers should again be best in the East. Horford signing was excellent move for them to shore up their one weakness last year.

Actually think Pat Riley is a genius. Signed Butler for less than he offered Timberwolves in a trade last year, and got rid of awful Tyler Jordan and Whiteside contracts. Kept core intact. Think Heat will be much improved next year

14. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    My question for the sixers is who is gonna get the ball at the end of their games?

15. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Westbrook and Harden reunited in Houston. :eek:

16. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Instantly OKC gets better

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I won't argue whether or not it was a good move. They will be improved. They are light years away from contending and Butler won't be around when they get good enough.

18. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    No comments on Steve Kerr's comments about Anthony Davis forcing a trade being bad for basketball?

19. INGATORSWETRUST

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Sign and trade is the only way to get value back. You can’t let a star depart for no Compensation in return. Sets your franchise back years, particularly in small markets with a lesser ability to attract top free agents into these areas

20. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    I wonder what he thinks of (arguably) the best player in the league joining a 73-9 team. Is that also bad for basketball?

• Like Like x 2