Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2019. Jan. 7th. 2018 CFB National Championship Game. FINAL - #2. CLEMSON 44. #1. ALABAMA 16.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by RayGator, Dec 26, 2018.

1. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    Venables is a big reason Clemson is where they are. From the start of the 2nd QTR, Clemson outscored BAMA 30-3. Tua never stood a chance against his defense.

Clemson DC Brent Venables explains defensive strategy that led to early pick six against Alabama

He and Dabo are a force to be reckoned with. Venables is the highest paid asst in college football (5 yrs at $11.6 million). His son Jake is a FR Linebacker for Clemson. And to think, Oklahoma pretty much ran him out of town.

This vid says a lot about football and fandom. Doesn't look like he's going anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    And those Doctor Pepper TV commercials. Worst and most boring TV commercials while watching college football games! No doubt!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. sovietgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Played little league with the te kirk wells from that team. Dude was a stud even back then.

5. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Got this from a Gator social media page I like...

FB_IMG_1546972708637.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Last Bama score...14:28 of the 2nd qtr

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    All the
    jeez man. Settle down.

Yes Lawrence is very good and has a chance to be great.

To compare him Tom Tua’s vaunted career, and I agree with you that he shouldn’t have played. He threw 4 INTs all season and 2 of them were last night.

Lawrence has a chance for greatness but to say he’s better or even in Tua’s league right now is unfair to either.

I was getting these same type of responses when I said Driskel (at his worse moments) was going to playing in the NFL. Strike that, the inflammatory “I know best” retorts were much worse and yet I was not wrong.

Tua will not be a bust in the NFL and Lawrence remains to be seen. To call anyone a definite great in the NFL is a fool’s game.

Tua has all the tools. Lawrence has tools too but to dog on Tua or to predict he will be a bust in the NFL based on some THING you see is just foolish.

And the hanging on Bama’s trunk comment is the dumbest part of your post. I hate Bama.

You’re hanging on Lawrence’s ####.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think Venables is good, really good. They seem to be particularly strong on defense this year. He was clearly good enough this season to play a major role in Clemon's success. As to him possily leaving Clemson, I suspect he could and eventually will. But at $2+ million per season I could also see his decing he has all he needs for now.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Somewhere in all this ,it’s being lost that the last 3 title games for Bama are as follows
    Clemson comes back from big deficit to beat them
    Uga goes up on them nearly 4 tds also before they did what uga does and remember they’re uga and blew it
    Clemson housed them last night.

This was hardly an overnight thing whether we realize it or not

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Tua is a great college QB, who might turn out to be a great pro or not. Lawrence is a generational talent. Different categories.

11. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Give me a San Fran July over a FL July all summer long. Plenty to like in FL but our summer weather is brutal.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Tuas vaunted career???? Tua has exactly 1 half of football more experience than Lawrence does from last years nc game. What on earth are u talking about

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Unless u mean simply comparing their stats from the year. If so ok, I was thrown for a loop with the career thing

14. sovietgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    True, the tides have turned. No pun intended. Well, maybe there was.

The assistant coach carousel and the hiring of some bad assistants has bit Saban in the ass.

That and guys like Dabo and CDM know how to beat Saban when they have the right QB and proper talent.

Nick made some really bad decisions last night out of panic and sheer desperation.

Luckily a lot of these prized recruits want to play for other schools besides BAMA and put the effort in to cement their own legacies.

Its easy to be a follower and take the easy street to BAMA.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    It's called complacency imo.

The primary thing that has finally caught up with Nick Saban is the endless rotating door of assistant coaches and coordinators who come to Tuscaloosa for a resume'-building year or two and then bolt for their own gigs.

Another poster pointed this out too, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Saban had to replace numerous assistants from last year I believe, including both coordinators. It's finally caught up with his ability to substitute and replace on his staff with quality replacements.

Bama will undoubtedly still be one of the best teams in the SEC, but there are visible cracks in the armor and they will only be getting bigger over time.

Florida is re-emerging, UGA is a current, valid threat, and A&M is going to become a serious threat to Bama in the West over the next couple of years.

That, and Bama didn't have the dominating two-deep on defense this year that they usually have. That's attributed to losing quality coaches on their coaching carousel.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I agree on the coaching. It was my first of 2 main points this morning. They got easily out coached and I really believe folks don’t realize that this new pass happy semi spread offense they’re running. That was not an Alabama team that u can imagine an opposing player say I hate playing them bec ur beat up at the end of the game like u could’ve said in 9-11-12

• Like Like x 1
  17. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lawrence appears to be a generational, prodigious player. But lets see in a few years. He sure got to Alabarma last night, that will never change.

18. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Where is all this Aggie love coming from with Texas finishing in the top 10?

I keep hearing that the Aggies will be world beatesrs from everyone. Someone please enlighten me because it looks like Texas is ready to regain the breading grounds of Texas.

Yesterday was the first time Saban looked panicked at the half I think since I’ve ever seen him. He might be getting tired of expecting to win. I knew there was trouble in town with that halftime interview. The “copycat” remark means he saw they knew their weaknesses which are few. A weakness is hard to cover without opening something else.

I think it’s fair to say his adjustments did not work. He should have stayed with his first half plan which wasn’t as bad as it looked and he should have brought in Hurts because Tua was obviously hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    It was just not to be for Bama. They were running the ball extremely well and due to Clemson's quick scores, were actually controlling the clock prior to the end of the half. The fake FG, stopped on 4th down, and Alabama player getting injured leading to an easy Clemson TD sequence was brutal. Kick two FGs and they're down 9 with some momentum behind them. Stop Clemson again and they are back in the game with all of the momentum on their side. It was strange seeing Saban's team playing so risky.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Offensively at least, they did well in the 3rd quarter, just couldn't get the big play into the endzone. 3 empty trips to the red zone pretty much kills any chance of a comeback. I wouldn't be surprised to see Saban hire a brand new defensive staff because something wasn't right on that side of the ball all season.

• Agree Agree x 1