Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2019. Jan. 7th. 2018 CFB National Championship Game. FINAL - #2. CLEMSON 44. #1. ALABAMA 16.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by RayGator, Dec 26, 2018.

1. GATORAJE

GATORAJE All American

Apr 8, 2007
    Luling, Louisiana
    I think Gators \ Aggies SECCG'S will be the norm in the very near future.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Psycho Mod and Cook Shack Chef Moderator VIP Member

Bottom line was.....

1; Tua, after the 1st INT, appeared to be fine, but as Clemson's DL's & others, kept pressuring him, he got more shaken. Once he threw that 2nd pick, you could start to vivibly see it in him.

2; Bama had their running game established all game..... but no matter how many trick plays, or runnung it up the gut, they ran on 3rd, or 4th and short, Clemson's Defense was dialed up for them., and.....

3; Saban, getting increasingly frustrated, never really made any major adjustments as the game progressed, neither on Offense NOR defense, surprising, since Clemson was scoring all over them........ It seemed that the players and coaches had pretty much given up by the end of the 3rd quarter.

NOW...... for the other side.

1; Dabo and his coaching staff dialed in an amazing game plan... Brian Venables ever-changing defensive schemes had Bama stupified at times

2; Trevor Lawrence.......GEEZ! and this kid's a true freshman? After he settled into the game, he wasn't shaken by anything! Well deserved MVP. This kid is gonna be something to watch over the next couple seasons.

3; Both O-Line AND D-Line was able to pretty much dictate how the game would turn out. . That O-Line gave Lawrence loads of time for the most part, where their D-Line totally disrupted Bama all night...(Not to mention those outrageous goal line, and 3rd & 4th and inches stops_

4; Saban and Bama got outplayed by a superior team, and I think Saban just might have more problems with his rotating Ass't coaching staff.

Congratulations to Dabo and Clemson... you played a great game!

Just sayin'

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    disappointed to say the least, not the losing by the SEC top dog but the manner in which they lost blew me away, did not see that coming at all...

National championship game: No. 2 Clemson 44, No. 1 Alabama 16
    Tigers rip through tide

Dominant Clemson captures second crown in three seasons to cap 15-0 campaign

By Ralph D. Russo Associated Press
    SANTA CLARA, Calif. — With stunning ease and a freshman quarterback, Clemson toppled college football’s greatest dynasty again to become the first perfect playoff champion.

Trevor Lawrence passed for 347 yards and three touchdowns and the second-ranked Tigers beat No. 1 Alabama 44-16 on Monday night in the College Football Playoff national-championship game.

In the fourth consecutive playoff meeting between the Tigers and the Tide, Clemson evened the series and beat ’Bama for the national championship for the second time in three seasons. Clemson is the first team in the AP poll era, dating to 1936, to finish 15-0 and the first playoff champion to get through a season unscathed.
    Alabama coach Nick Saban and the Tide (14-1) were looking for a sixth national championship in 10 years, trying to add to an already unprecedented run in the sport. Instead, Clemson crushed Alabama, becoming the first opponent to beat the Tide by more than 14 points since Saban became coach in 2007.

TIGERS RIP THROUGH TIDE

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. eightiesgator

eightiesgator Sophomore

Oct 16, 2017
    I don't think the SEC mystique helped us at all.

* In 1996, we were the team that got pounded the year before in the Fiasco Bowl. Our record and SECCG win got us into the Sugar Bowl, not the SEC.

* In 2006, we weren't supposed to be on the field against the "greatest team ever." Indeed, if anyone began the "SEC is dominant," it very well may have been the Gators. We proved the naysayers all wrong.

* In 2008, we were clearly among the top two teams in the nation, steamrolling over everyone after the Ole Miss game. It wasn't a conference that vaulted us into the game.

We won the SEC title in 1984, our first ever, and the SEC took it from us. They weren't pressured to do so by the NCAA, as far as I remember. They did it arbitrarily and completely on their own initiative. Because of this, we couldn't claim the SEC in 1985, either. The 1982-1985 seasons was our first major national run, and it would have continued.

And yes, I know, we cheated. But someone, ANYONE, tell me Florida was either unique in this regard or more egregious with a straight face. I remember the shenanigans Bryant, Dye, Dooley, Vaught, Majors and yes, Bobby Bowden used to get recruits...

It's been 35 years, and it STILL chaps my arse...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    Fluffer

6. benheb

benheb GC Legend

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    "It ain't fur" would be closer to dialect I'm familiar with. Say it with your jaw slack to achieve tonal accuracy.

7. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

8. benheb

benheb GC Legend

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Me too. But we got our revenge by running the conference until the last decade.

9. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Credit where it is due. First Clemson pushed aside f$u as the dominant team in the acc, now they have done the same to bama at a national level.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Ask Dr. Pepper...

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Flip it Fabio. Too funny!

• Like Like x 1
  12. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    That 01 team was so good

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Worst trophy in sports.

14. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I think it looks like a bronzed, almost used-up roll of paper towels. Maybe Proctor and Gamble designed it? The subliminal message: are you sure you have enough paper towels?

15. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Upside down cheerleader mega phone

16. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I always thought the crystal football was gangster

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. reptilenation

reptilenation Junior

Oct 12, 2013
    Seems like he's more subdued during a loss compared to a sloppy win.

18. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    Yes. I hated every minute of it. Actually had a great job offer I turned down because I wouldn't want to live there.

I don't consider an average temperature in July of 57 F to be good, especially when it is almost always accompanied by 'Patchy Rain Possible' and 'Partly Cloudy'. Sounds, and was in my experience, terrible. But then again, I'm from Florida.

19. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    You can hang on BAMA's trunk all you want. Tua shouldn't have played at all if he was hurt. It should have been Jalen Hurts the entire game. He would have given BAMA a better shot at hanging with Clemson.

Tua's two INT's were very costly to BAMA and he had a hard time reading that NFL caliber defense and coverages last night. Tua (a 20 year old SOPH) has played in two NC games. And Lawrence (True FR, just turned 19 in OCT) had zero NC game experience heading into last night's game. Yet Lawrence isn't even close? Thanks for the laugh.

Here's Lawrence's stats versus the vaunted BAMA defense.

20/32
    347 passing yards
    374 total yards
    3 passing touchdowns
    0 interceptions
    ------------------
    741 passing yards, 6 TD passes in two playoff games.

We'll see who has the better career in a few years. I think Tua will be a bust in the NFL because he can't read an NFL caliber defense and coverages. Tua's stats have been built up against cupcakes. LSU and Joe Burrow (JR) couldn't score a single point against BAMA. Yet Lawrence scored more points against BAMA than the Heisman Winner Kyler Murray (a 21 year old JR).

These articles will tell you how good Lawrence is in case you missed the game last night.

Tua Tagovailoa's bad night vs. Clemson shakes the narrative for the young Alabama legend

9 teams that played Clemson as competitively as Bama did

Trevor Lawrence and Clemson Now CFB's Preeminent Power After Crushing Alabama

Trevor Lawrence broke all of Deshaun Watson's HS (state of GA) records and is considered a once in a generation talent. He reminds me of Elway when he came out of HS. This kid could go pro right now.

Trevor Lawrence (American football) - Wikipedia

Sorry NFL, you can't draft Trevor Lawrence for another 2 years

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou

• Winner Winner x 1