Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2019 Fall Ball schedule updated 11/12

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Aug 23, 2019.

1. 23fabe23

23fabe23 VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    I have always tried to park at the top of the parking garage. Usually there are plenty of spaces and have never been bothered by campus staff. Usually you can park right by the stairs and head on down!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 23fabe23

23fabe23 VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    I was able to sneak off yesterday and catch the scrimmage. I know there were a couple other posters in attendance who will do a much better job than I in giving a detailed breakdown. A few general notes I was able to come away with, Mace and Leftwich were both not perfect but I felt they were very good for a first fall scrimmage. Jack's change up looked really good. He was up to 94 and change up was 82-83 with good movement. Brady Smith did a very nice job behind the plate. Looks like he has been working on his blocking and in the weight room. He looked like he has gained 10 pounds or so and bulked up. Coaches several times reminded pitchers to work quicker. Looks like there will be an emphasis on get the ball back, get on the rubber and get rid of the ball again. Barco looked good in his two innings. 90-92 with some solid LHP movement.

All in all it was what you would expect for a first scrimmage. Pitching seemed to be a little ahead of the hitting but that is normal for this time of year. Will be curious to see how the ss position works out this fall. Blasucci and Rivera were the two ss in yesterday's scrimmage.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Just a few notes to added to @23fabe23 nice summary:
    Pretty good first scrimmage 5 innings, starting pitchers were dominate leftwich 3 k's and one hit in 2 innings, #4 laced one past the hot corner into the left field corner for a double, later he powdered one to the deepest part of center field, it was a HR anywhere else in the park.
    Mace threw 2 innings also had 3 Ks & 1 hit.
    Aside from #4 #11 Hickey had a nice liner to center off #32 Talbott in the final frame, #12 Barco had 3 k's in 2 innings 1 BB #44.
    #52 Kirby McM had well hit 2 bagger to left off #13 Roberts.

schedule: practice today at 5:30, 6 inning scrimmage at 7 pm

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    #4 is Jud Fabian. Do you have a roster with the numbers of the new guys by any chance.
    Curious on a couple of things: (1) Is Jacob Young back in the outfield or still at 2B and (2) Is Acton still at 3B or moved to Middle Infield.

Thanks for the updates!

• Like Like x 1
  5. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    #1 played in RF yesterday, #22 played at second, I would not put any stock in these early scrimmages as far as looking at positions for the season. Brady and Cal both caught and looked pretty good.

@MatsideObserver
    Dan Apple sent me the roster I have as a PDF, I can't seem to copy it you can email him for one, the one I have is 1 player short of the ones they passed out yesterday #36
    DanielA@gators.ufl.edu

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks for the update guys, much appreciated. Where was Nunez playing?

7. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, who was playing third base?

8. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    Here's my report. This will answer some of your questions.

Scrimmage Report for 10/14/19

On the field for BLUE:
    #47 Tommy Mace – P
    #9 Brady Smith – C
    #6 Kendrick Calilao – 1B
    #22 Cory Acton – 2B
    #21 Nick Blasucci – SS
    #11 Nathan Hickey – 3B
    #44 Austin Langworthy – LF
    #4 Jud Fabian – CF
    #1 Jacob Young – RF

ORANGE Batting:

5th Inning
    Kc/B/F/Ks – Kirby McMullen goes down swinging.
    B/B/F – Jordan Butler singles thru right gap.
    B/B/Kc/Ft/Ks – Josh Rivera goes down swinging and Butler caught off 1B. This was a set up by the way, don’t blame Jordan.
    0/1/0/0

6th Inning
    F – Brock Edge grounds out to 1B. P covers.
    Ks/B/B/Kc – Cal Greenfield grounds out to SS. Nice backhanded grab and throw by Blasucci.
    Kc/B/Ft/Ks – Isaac Nunez goes down swinging.
    0/0/0/0

7th Inning – #30 Hunter Mink in to pitch
    B/B/Kc/Kc – Tucker Talbott singles over 2B.
    Kc/WP Talbott advances to 2B/Ks/B/F/B – Austin Brinling flies out to left.
    B/B/Ks/Ks/F/B/B – Kirby McMullen walks.
    B/B/F/F/B – Jordan Butler grounds out to P.
    Matt Powell HBP.
    K/Kc/B/Ks – Josh Rivera goes down swinging.
    0/1/0/3

8th Inning
    Brock Edge flies out to left.
    K/B/B – Cal Greenfield grounds out to SS.
    Isaac Nunez pops out to C.
    0/0/0/0

9th Inning – #13 Andrew Roberts in to pitch
    B/B/K/B – Austin Brinling singles up the middle.
    Kc/B/Kc – Kirby McMullen singles to left. Brinling goes to 3B. Kirby advances to 2B on throw to 3rd.
    B – Jordan Butler HPB. Another player goes to 1B for him and he gets another at bat.
    Kc/Ks/B – Jordan Butler reaches on infield grounder. No one was covering 1B.
    B/B/Ft/B – Isaac Nunez grounds into 6-4-3 DP.
    1/3/0/2

On the field for ORANGE:
    #23 Jack Leftwich – P
    #2 Cal Greenfield – C
    #15 Jordan Butler – 1B
    #27 Isaac Nunez – 2B
    #24 Josh Rivera – SS
    #52 Kirby McMullen – 3B
    #34 Kris Armstrong – LF
    #29 Austin Brinling – CF
    #32Tucker Talbott and #18 Brock Edge – RF

BLUE batting:

5th Inning
    Ks/Kc/F/Ks – Jacob Young goes down swinging.
    B/B/B/Kc/Ks – Austin Langworthy grounds out to 2B.
    Jud Fabian doubles down 3B line.
    Ks/B/WP advances Fabian to 3B/Kendrick Calilao grounds out to 3B. Nice job by Kirby!
    0/1/0/1

6th Inning
    Ks/Ks/F/Kc – Cory Acton goes down looking.
    B/F/B/Ks/B/Ks – Brady Smith goes down swinging.
    B/Ks/B – Nathan Hickey pops out to 3B.
    0/0/0/0

7th Inning - #12 Hunter Barco in to pitch
    B/F/Ks/B/B – Nick Blasucci pops out to RF.
    Ks/Ft/B/Ks – Andrew Roberts goes down swinging.
    Kc/F/B/Ks – Jacob Young goes down swinging.
    0/0/0/0

8th Inning
    B/B/F/B/B – Austin Langworthy walks.
    F/B/Ft – Jud Fabian hits to short and reaches on FC. Langworthy out at 2B.
    Fabian steals 2B. K – Kendrick Calilao flies out to C.
    F/F/Ks – Cory Acton goes down swinging.
    0/0/0/1

9th Inning - #32 Tucker Talbott in to pitch
    Kc/B/B/B – Brady Smith flies out to left.
    Kc – Nathan Hickey singles to shallow center.
    Ks/Kc/F – Nick Blasucci singles up the middle.
    B – Andrew Roberts reaches on E6. Great DP ball, but SS bobbles it.
    F/B/F/B/B/Kc – Jacob Young goes down looking. Somewhere in here Blasucci and Roberts pulled off the double steal so they’re on 2B & 3B.
    Kc/B/Ks/B/F/B/F/B – Austin Langworthy walks to load ‘em.
    B – Jud Fabian flies out to C (at the center wall – great job by Brinling to get there for the catch).
    1/2/1/3

Final – Tied at 1.

I probably won't make it back out there until this weekend.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Gatorgal you are in midseason form already. This is great! Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    I get to say it— Who’s On First! What’s on Second.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    “I don’t know’s” on third.....;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. SeniorLifter

SeniorLifter VIP Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Thank you very much for these updates GatorGal. If y’all remember I’m a big Barco fan (played at Bolles in mid-70’s), so appreciate the info. on him. It might be a little premature to expect him to break into the starting rotation, but being a lefty I think he’ll have the opportunity to see big-time quality innings. Thanks again for all your reporting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Tuesday Scrimmage anecdotal @matherly can provide details, he stayed to the end I bailed in the 6th
    #5 sprout started for the Orange went 2 innings 3 Ks 1 BB no hits
    #15 Butler 2 innings for Orange 3 Ks 1 BB one infield hit
    #37 Crisp for Orange 2 BB 2 hits 2 runs
    #52 McMullen for Orange 2 hits, 1 BB 2 run
    I left with a runner on and the score2 - 2

#10 Nesbitt started for the Blue 3 Ks 3 BB 2 hits, 2 RBI #27Nunez and Rivera
    #33 Van Der Weide 2 innings for For Blue 2 Ks 2 hits no runs
    #26 Martin Pitchng for Blue 1 K no hits or runs

#4 Doubled in 2 runs of #52
    #1 beat out an infield hit
    #24 Rivera had an rbi single as did #27 Nunez

Highlight of the night Conversation with VB's Thayer Hall and Paula Cerame
    @Matherly87 I hope will post his notes and corrections he was still there when I gave up the ghost

• Like Like x 1
  14. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    You mean I wasn't the highlight of your night??? Well I'll Suwanee!!! (As my Mom used to say) You did say Thayer, right?

JJH left out in the top of the 9th which was the sixth inning of play with a light rain falling so he wouldn't melt. Jud on second, tie game, made it to 3rd on a ground out. With 1 out infielders were in and someone (I think Calilao) hit a sharp grounder to SS that Rivera threw home but with a no contact at home in affect Jud was called safe with a shoulder high throw. Ball game Blue won 3-2 with the clock now after 9 PM and a persistent rain falling. Fun finish but unfortunately Kirby McMullen got left out on the mound to battle the Blue team in the top of the 9th and gave up 3 runs to end it.

Other notes: Spout looked the best on the mound tonight as he routinely hit the low 90's with his fastball, topped it at 93 (see JJH notes). He had very little control issues and looked to place his pitches well. Nesbitt was able to hit 90 a few times but mainly worked in the upper 80s with his fastball and upper 70s with his change. He did have to face a few extra batters in the 2nd with control problems. Martin was effective for the short time he was in but only hit the upper 80s. He seemed comfortable to me on the mound.

The Blue team was mainly the experienced players with the same lineup that GatorGal posted before.
    B Smith – C, Calilao – 1B, Acton – 2B, Blasucci – SS, Hickey – 3B, Langworthy – LF, Fabian – CF, Young – RF
    Their batting order started with Young leading off, then Langworthy, followed by Fabian and Smith batting 4th. They were very uninspired on offense for the whole game until the 9th. With Kirby on the mound after 2 good innings and the rain falling, Young ripped a sharp double to left. Langworthy walked, followed by a passed ball, and then Jud roped a double to left to score two.

The Orange team was led by Rivera (SS) and Nunez (2nd) making good plays in the infield and batting in their only 2 runs. Rivera did have an easy chance at a DP but his glove flip fumbled out of his glove but instead he was still able to grab the ball and throw out the runner at first. Interesting their batting order started with K McMullen (3rd base) leading off, then Rivera, followed by Nunez and Barco (1st base) batting 4th.

Since seniorlifter asked, Barco started at 1st for the orange but was ineffective at the plate, went 0-3 with 3 poor at bats, including a very uninspired first pitch swing for an easy out and got mixed up swinging at a low pitch for strike 3. On a positive note Barco had the defensive play of the night on a slow roller between the mound and first. He committed to fielding the ball when the 2nd baseman had no chance to run in. Barco was way into the infield towards second and got the slow roller in time to spin around and make a great throw to the pitcher covering 1st. I don't remember the hitter or the pitcher but he got my ATTA BOY HUNTER for the night. As JJH said' he's a tall "lanky feller" that can cover some ground.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This frosh class is looking good with many promising players. Nice to hear that about Sprout.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    One other important note Powell was the catcher for the orange tonight for the entire 6 inning practice and was decent. He threw out Blasucci trying to steal second with an accurate throw. He had to block many pitches in the dirt, like 5 feet in front of the plate dirt. One bounced up off his shoulder it was so far in front. He got plenty of good practice behind the plate.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    It seems from the comments/stats listed that Crisp while out there on the mound was fairly ineffective—Comments from y’all that saw the action live?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    • Like Like x 4
  19. 23fabe23

23fabe23 VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    I am planning on going to both Friday and Sunday scrimmages. Anyone else planning on going?

20. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    I will be there Sunday.

• Like Like x 2