Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2019. Aug. 24th. 1st. Game - #8. GATORS 24, Hurricanes 20.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by RayGator, Mar 10, 2019.

1. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I have been a gators fan since they were terrible in the late 70's. It made me cringe then and it made me cringe now when gators fans trash talked before the game and then blast/chastise the team they supposed to be rooting for if the results didn't go as they wanted. Can't anybody just enjoy a GD win. I will agree with you on one thing. The staff need to do a better job recruiting and evaluating these guys, so that they will not have 2019 recruiting happens again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Who was UF practicing for, all fall camp?

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
  4. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    So obviously the point of my post went completely over your head. Go re-read it again.

5. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Okay, I did. I was simply asking about this one line, not the entire post. I guess it did, obviously go over my head..

6. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
  7. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I set my hopes too high. I said I would be happy with a 1 point win but I guess I never imagined the mistakes and miscues then eeking out a victory. I wanted to smash scUM so that south florida recruits really took notice. Plenty of season left for that I suppose.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. The_Graygator

Apr 11, 2007
    I totally get where youre coming from, because I wanted to beat them by AT LEAST 3 TD's, but... theres a silver lining to this game too... it was a highly-emotional, involved, edge-of-your-seat rollercoaster ride of a rivalry game on the National stage... and recruits EAT THAT STUFF UP.

They don't see the game like the fans do, they see it like football players. Fans see their team lose or not win by enough, but football players see A BATTLE, not the turnovers and penalties as much. They get it because they do it every fall and for many years of their young lives, and emotional ballgames like that leave lasting impressions with them.

These recruits are addicts for the emotion and physical challenges and match-ups of football, where fans just want to see their team win by 30.

A win is a win to the recruits, and this game will pay off with a lot of coveted recruits, and most of all? Recruits see the team THAT WON, and want to be a part of that.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 11, 2007
    FLORIDA
    I agree Gray!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Pretty good call there

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2009
    Just watching replay and I simply cannot believe Davis tried to get up with that fumble. Like I’m really trying to understand how this was a real thing that happened. He can see Miami defenders coming at him, they’re a few feet away, he’s laying flat on the ground with the ball in his hands and he STILL tries to get up.

Inexcusable mistake.

And just in general I can’t believe how many fumbles we failed to recover. I hope that’s at the top of the list of shit to practice extra until next game, along with tackling.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    A wise man once told me ... never apologize for a PAR or a W in sporting events

13. Gatorcola

Gatorcola GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    I had the same reaction. It's not like he would have been able to advance the ball. Had he stayed on the ground, the hit would have been flagged for being a late hit.

14. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Florida Gators vs Miami Hurricanes Condensed

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    They played ugly. We were lucky to win with 4 turnovers. But there are no ugly wins.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well I hope so. I hope that's what they think.

17. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    UF Band Director Attacked by UM Fan after Season-Opening Game.
    - The Lakeland Ledger 8.26.2019.
    - The Miami Herald by Monique O. Madan.

“UF Band Director Attacked by UM Fans after Season-Opening Game.”

“According to Orlando Police Department.”

“Band Director was treated by Orlando Fire Department.”

UF band director attacked by UM fan after season-opening game

University of Florida band director attacked after Gators victory over Miami Hurricanes

Received minor head injuries. The Gator Band was in formation, marching out of the Stadium after a 24-20 Gator win to the buses. Not all too uncommon for band members to be attacked by disgruntled fans of a losing team.

“UF Officials confirm Band Director Jay Watkins was knocked to the ground by a Miami Hurricane Fan.”

University of Florida band director attacked after Gators victory over Miami Hurricanes

18. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Ikd....we won...and it was ugly.

Don't misunderstand--I'm quite good with it--but damn, there was some ugly FB played Sat. night. Lots of stupid mistakes, against an unranked team, by the 8th ranked team, even if an in-state rival.

But again, I savored the hell out of that win--still do--but more out of relief for disaster averted, than for promise of a solid showing.

jmho/fwiw.

19. The_Graygator

Apr 11, 2007

The same point I've been making all weekend...

Imagine if we'd have lost this game.... all of Gator Nation would have been bombarded all Saturday night and Sunday afternoon with reruns of Miami winning and how "Da U" is back, and it wouldn't have stopped there either. Monday mornings after a loss are usually the worst, watching all the Canes car flags and "U" signs, and the salt pouring in the wound would have gone on for two weeks while we suffered through a loss anxiously waiting on the next game to wash the bitter taste out of our mouths.

Then this coming weekend, we would have had to watch the repeated reruns of highlights and criticisms of our loss from the Gameday hosts and on SECN until the first football game kicked off at noon, would have had to listen to Desmond Howard gloat, probably have to deal with a return visit from Michael Irvin, and then it would have been all Miami highlights of beating UF during every friggin' halftime report in every game all day and all night long... but not now, because WE WON.

But there are those who are unhappy that we won by 4 instead of by 40? I'll take that 4 - point win and run with it all day long my friend. We won. We were not a stepping stone for Miami and don't have to be the team that has to deal with the gloating and taunting.

So Gator Nation, count your blessings that our team isn't stewing over a loss for the next two weeks after they fought their way through a ton of first-game adversity and beat a pretty decent Miami team. Tell you what, I didn't like all the mistakes we made, and I was thinking we'd win big too, but I sure as heck STILL slept like a baby Saturday night knowing we won.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    Game notes from Saturday

Offense  Josh Hammond finished with a career high 93 receiving yards, eclipsing his previous mark of 83 from last year versus LSU
     Franks’ 254 passing yards tied his third-highest single-game total (284 at Vandy, 274 vs. Idaho, 254 at FSU – all 2018)

 Kadarius Toney’s 66-yard touchdown reception was Florida’s longest receiving play since Mark Thompson’s 85-yard touchdown reception in the 2017 Outback Bowl.

Florida’s only plays from scrimmage longer than 65 yards last season were Lamical Perine’s 74-yard touchdown run at Florida State, and Dameon Pierce’s 68-yard touchdown run against Colorado State.

 Prior to Toney’s touchdown catch, Miami had not allowed a passing play longer than 45 yards since surrendering a 75yard touchdown pass against Virginia on Nov. 18, 2017

 Florida committed multiple turnovers just three times last year (Kentucky, at Vanderbilt, vs. Georgia), and its only game with three turnovers last season was at Vanderbilt (two fumbles lost and an interception)

 Franks’ lost fumble early in the second quarter was his first turnover since losing a fumble at his own 1-yard line in the third quarter of last year’s loss to Georgia  Franks’ interception in the fourth quarter snapped a streak of 157 consecutive attempts without an interception, which tied him with John Brantley (2008-10) for the second-longest streak in UF history (Tim Tebow, 2007-08 – 203 is the record)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1