Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2019. Aug. 24th. 1st. Game - #8. GATORS 24, Hurricanes 20.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by RayGator, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Only read the last 3 pages but it reads much like last year. Some people were ready to implode after the Missouri game. Then all was better after the FSU win. Main take away it was an ugly win in the first game of the season, while dealing with some ugly officiating, and we still have some big games this season that will tell us much more about this team as compared to last year. Yes I'm not impressed but very happy for the win until we have to face Miami again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    Your crystal ball was better than mine. I didn't think 45-7, but I thought we'd bop them

3. Gatorcola

Gatorcola GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    Really it should have been a bopping. The turnovers changed the complexion of the game. Of course, that's part of what you have to play through. Seven fumbles in the game. Florida recovers none of them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. reptilenation

reptilenation Junior

Oct 12, 2013
    Pace, Fl
    After watching all the clips of Manny this past week I’m not surprised they played at that level. I’ll believe he’s going to do well in the Coastal. He had them ready with all the chaos from the changeover.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    That game was CRAZY!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes but we are supposed to have a championship level staff. Maybe we do but you couldn’t tell it by the team’s disposition tonight. Some might say “if we correct the TOs” but the fact is, we had TOs- many.

I thought this game could help us recruit- look disciplined, impressive, thump Miami. I think it helped Miami, at least for the moment. If you watched this game you might think Diaz will build a very good program. We were supposed to win. Glad we did. A loss would have been devastating.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    What happened to all those posts about how bad we were going to blow them out? Seems like a big part of the cocky attitudes by our players comes from stupid posts on this board. A first game against a big rival is always going to be a problem.
    It’s kind of sad that the so called experts on this board aren’t any smarter than the 19 year olds on the team.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I agree with you. Gator fans are the most insufferable college football fans. First of all, this team didn't have the benefit of playing cupcakes to work out the kinks. Secondly, they must have forgotten the game the last time the gators beat the canes and that was with Tebow as the QB and Urban coaching the team. It was un ugly game much like this. This team actually scored more than that Tebow's team, despite more turnovers. Yeah I'm a sunshine pumper. With the exception of a couple of guys, I know the whole team played horribly not just Franks. Coaches seemed like they didn't have a good game plan. But I will take a win over losing any day. It's not like the whole team is going to give up the whole season after a win like most of the people here. I'm sure they will try and correct the mistakes and shore up the problems.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

That’s profound - and infuriating

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Seriously?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I’ll only add that if I’d gotten on the game thread during this game I’d be banned right now.

Go Gators

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    We're supposed to believe that the players attitudes come from posters on a forum?

M'kay.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    And how would you know that?
    In that case you should be mad as hell. They are paid incredibly well. This was a big game. It should never look as if the staff did not prepare the team mentally and through practice reps.
    Hope so. That might help with their mediocre recruiting.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  14. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    It was a rivalry game. Ask yourselves if you wouldn't take this score over FSU last year.

Upside is we'll have so much to work on before Tenn-Martin that I'll be surprised if we don't have our first 70+ point outing since, what, the Citadel?

15. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Please lock this thread and archive it.
    Football is back yay!
    Otherwise lets just move on.

16. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

I think what he's saying is we have a bit of an 'entitled' culture here.

17. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    First and foremost.......give Miami credit for fielding a talented team that gave Florida all they could handle and then some last night. Much credit to the Hurricane coaching staff - especially Manny Diaz and Brian Enos. Their freshman QB Darren Williams did not look at all like a freshman starting his first game. In fact, an argument could easily be made that he demonstrated more poise than 3rd year QB Feleipe Franks.

As for Florida - we won and are 1-0. That's the best thing I can say about us. We persevered through 4 turnovers which put the defense on the field for 13 minutes more than the Miami defense in triple digit heat index conditions. That's almost a whole quarter!

Florida's offense and defense both made mistakes --- but those 4 turnovers had the biggest impact on the outcome of the game.

I also feel the play calling was a bit suspect at times. Why didn't we go back to Toney in the game? Why not stretch the field with all the talent we have in our WR group? Puzzling. I can only surmise that Coach Mullen was trying to work around the mental shortcomings of Franks.

Can't help but feel the 10 sacks last night wouldn't have happened if not for the transfer LB Jonathan Greenard #58. He was simply amazing.

Ultimately what happens the rest of the season with this team depends on one person - Feleipe Franks. And to some degree Coach Mullen for how he handles that position.

Franks has a ton of physical ability - but where he falls short is between the ears. I wonder if he'll ever be the kind of QB that could take his team to the playoffs. Based on what I saw last night - clearly the answer is no.

Gritty season opener with an in state rival at a neutral site in triple digit heat index night --- and we got the win.

It wasn't the domination win I was hoping for but happy to start the season off 1-0.

Go Gators! [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wow...what an ugly game. A win is still a win, though. 1-0. GO GATORS!!!!!

19. interrygator73

interrygator73 Sophomore

Feb 21, 2017
    rereading the game thread and couldn't wait to see the board's reaction (although it took me half an hour to get here)

Classic, Mod !

Support the "Box of Chocolates" idea too.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    After watching the game on the tape this morning, I disagree about Franks being the problem as much as it being the OL.

They played hesitantly and sort of soft imo, more hand-work than footwork, and they seemed a second behind the rest of the offense. It affected the entire offense too, including Franks.

Im not saying Franks didnt have bad moments, but lets observe some things here too... when the offensive line is behind the game flow, it affects a lot of split second decisions by the QB and RBs, ie the handoff fumble.

Note: 7 points in the first half.

Second half we scored 17 points and hit on some longer pass plays. The OL did worlds better in the second half after adjustments, and it was clear to me Mullen had designes the game around the OL getting acclimated.

Miami was actually very fast on DL, better than I thought They were, and they were 2 deep which kept fresh guys in play.... but our OL ended up playing better in the second half down the stretch.

Davis' two fumbles I credit to hesitance after two injuries too. Hes got to get his mond back into the flow of the game. I would have ezclusively run Pierce behind Perine, and Pierce did well when he was in I thought.

But unfortunately, this game was played with the entire nation watching, in horrendous heat conditions, and Miami had the entire Fall camp to practice for us.

Yes, I think we probably read too many of our press clippings and weren't focused like we should have been.

But no way am I going to complain about a win like some here have. Do y'all think Miami would be crying and bellyaching this morning if they had won? Hell no.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1