Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2019 5 star CB Chris Steele

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Diesel350z, Feb 21, 2018.

1. gatorade

gatorade All American

Oct 21, 2014
    Historically, yeah. Early signing period throws everything out the window now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Last year turned out fine with very little leg work. What’s your class prediction? 8-10 wins , I say 12 to 15. 6-8 wins could drop us 20 to 25 range. 25 would be the floor for me and a great disappointment.

3. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Another one nails it!!

College coaches themselves will tell you it changed everything. You go fremove 60% of the kids and it changes things. Most of that December signee crowd really shut down recruiting in November usually, so you can throw November out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Then all the programs concentrate on the remaining kids, so much tougher competition for NSD kids. They become recruited like 5 stars at end. Great for stable staffs, but tough for newer staffs just establishing relationships. No Seider remaining to hold things together either

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Wasaaaaaah

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I find it interesting some people who criticize everyone that isn't worried about recruiting while calling them sunshine pumpers CANNOT STOP Whining every single day. Sunshine pumpers can be annoying but I'll take them every day over the incessant tantrums some here are having.

I'm in the middle. I am concerned but only because recruiting has never been as dirty and seemingly unbridled as it is now and I'm not sure we are playing the game as dirty as some schools are. We aren't clean, no one is, but I do think certain schools are set up for more systemic efficiency regarding dirty recruiting.

Also I'm in the camp that thinks we need to show some life before recruits start piling in. None of our competition are dealing with the decade of futility we currently have had.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  7. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I think we all have to understand that recruiting is going to be spotty until the team has won some important games, assuming we actually win them. Few things would be more exciting to prospects than a historically great SEC team pulling itself out of the toilet and returning to its glory days. If that doesn't happen, we will struggle to put together classes as good as the previous two. I don't think that's whining. That's just setting realistic expectations.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    No excuse at UF not to have a decent 2nd class. Hopefully Mullen gets his act together.An article made a pretty good case in recent years you know if you will have a good class by Aug 1 and right now Mullen is heading for like a Mac level mediocre #14 class which has like 5 or 6 SEC teams in front of you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    A number 14 class does not sound bad until you realize it is 6th best in the SEC and below UM and FSU in the State. That said, they do not rank classes in well rounded nature or meeting needs. You can sign 6 four star DBs and miss on OL (sound familiar) and have a highly ranked class with no depth at certain positions. Rankings also don’t take into account transfers or those that can’t enroll due to academic reasons. If you were to add in the three transfers at WR and TE, we would have a mire highly regarded past class. If you subtract some of 4 stars that did not enroll at other programs, their class would drop by comparison. Additionally, the ability to enroll kids in Spring is huge. You get an extra 6-7 months of practice, strength and development to prepare for Fall games. Should get extra development points for those on campus in January

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    5 Star Strange nails it!!

11. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Great points. If not top 3-4 in SEC you'll lose to every good team you play by a wide margin. That's 3-4 games right there. Then when you have an average to bad performance you'll lose 2-3 games to average teams.

Do the math. For the 5th time at least, I like Mullen and think he alone is worth an extra 1-2 wins. He's a good coach.
    Still stand by this: with no Sanders, Putnam, Rayburn, Pittman, Dunmore, Steele, Rae, etc. this is a class that may be in the 20-25 range. Honestly, Mullen will be fine. He will win. I'm not gonna fall apart if we have the #22 class because we have a good coach.

Just want to say if we do not get 2/7 or players with like talents we will not be #12-14 like some think.
    There may be some site that has us #17 instead of 22 but doesn't mean they are accurate.

12. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I don't disagree. I just think we are going to have to get coached out of this mess before recruits start piling in. When was the last time we had such a long run of futility and national irrelevance?
    All that aside, not talking about you but bitching every single day multiple times isn't gonna change things. If anything recruits and players see the boards. We dont make or break the program but we do set the tone around it. Why be miserable 24/7 ? You don't have to be a sunshine pumper to take a wait and see attitude and hope for the best in the meantime

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. ballastpointgator

ballastpointgator Senior

Jun 16, 2018
    How could we hire three former assistants of the best recruiters of this century(Meyer & Saban) and be so far behind the so-called "dirty" curve? It doesn't make sense unless you are using it as an excuse for poor recruiting. Mac, Mullen and Chump all were high level assistants for those guys. Are you trying to say they didn't bring any of that dirty expertise with them? I don't think you can have it both ways.

There was a special on Smart's recruiting at UGA. He took Saban's routine to another level. The top recruits on their board receive a crazy amount of touches from calls, texts and social media to in home visits. It's a machine. We are so far behind it is very concerning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Pittman specifically mentioned that Oregon contacts him everyday. Didnt mention that we do anything similar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Because even when we had Meyer we started losing battles for players to bama and FSU. We are not spotless. Never implied that. But if your school/city police arrests players for barking at k9s, throwing styre foam cups etc etc while other schools players are walking away from stolen guns found in cars, thousands of dollars in shot out windows and domestic violence don't you think they might get away with other things as well?
    In any event that is not the only factor. Winning counts. Again, its shocking to think its been almost 10 years since we were relevant in the national picture. Muschamp recruited like mad...until he didn't. Mclwein took a while but his last class was shaping up to be amazing....until it wasn't. I mean if Miami didnt gain attention from starting out hot against a weak schedule and some lucky wins I dont think they get the traction they do recruiting. If we win and put a competent product on the field rhe recruiting will pick up

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    I think we are in big trouble with any class in the 14 range or worse since it just piles on Macs mediocre recruiting. For us to recover quickly from that it would mean Jones would have to be really elite at QB.

I would rather us struggle this season with a good recruiting class than the opposite as far as the future goes.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Noah_Brindise

Noah_Brindise Senior

Oct 28, 2014
    Running off Seider looks to be a great move so far...........

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    He definitely was a great recruiter.
    Dunmore is a baller. He's already paid off huge for Franklin.

19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    14 will be a decent class and we better perform on the field to get there. A good coach can field a top ten team with that kind of recruiting.with progression on the field I can see a top 10 class the following year. If you expect top ten this year prepare to be disappointed. I see our class filling out in the second half of this season and who comes will be greatly affected by what happens on the field.

20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That would make me believe our staff knows more than we do and we may be focusing on other players. They may not feel our odds of landing him are very good.

• Informative Informative x 1