Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2018. NASCAR Race Schedules and Winners..

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by RayGator, Feb 7, 2018.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    David Pearson, NASCAR’s Silver Fox, has died at 83
    By JENNA FRYER AP Auto Racing Writer
    David Pearson, the NASCAR pioneer known as "The Silver Fox" for his cunning craft and a longtime rivalry with Richard Petty, has died. He was 83.

The Wood Brothers Racing team said Pearson died Monday night in Spartanburg, South Carolina, where he was born and lived most of his life. Details were not immediately available.

Pearson was one of NASCAR's first superstars along with Petty, Bobby Allison and Cale Yarborough, and they raced all over the country as the cornerstone during NASCAR's period of slow growth beyond a regional racing series. Pearson was a three-time Cup champion, his 105 career victories trail only Petty's 200 on NASCAR's all-time list, and he was inducted into the second class of the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

Pearson's career paralleled Petty's and the two combined for 63 finishes in which they finished first and second to each other. Pearson won 33 of the battles.

Read more here: David Pearson, NASCAR’s Silver Fox, has died at 83

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    The Weekend of November 16, 17, 18, is the Last Weekend of NASCAR Racing in 2018 !

4. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    These videos you can control the view of are fun to play with. Hold the left button down and drag the mouse to look around and up or down. Great view in a convertible, shifting gears the 'old' way.
    This was last weekend, Historic Sportscar Racing Classic 24 Hours at Daytona. Over 100 cool cars plus an awesome 45 car race with the Trans Am series of 600-800 hp American muscle sportscars.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    Thursday, November 15, 2018.

CUP STANDINGS.

1. Joey Logano.
    1. Kyle Busch.
    1. Martin Truex Jr.
    1. Kevin Harvick.
    5. Chase Elliot.
    6. Kurt Busch.
    7. Aric Almirola.
    8. Brad Keselowski.
    9. Ryan Blakey.
    10. Kyle Larson.

6. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    NASCAR

Logano, Truex might mix it up

By George Diaz Orlando Sentinel

MIAMI BEACH — Joey Logano walked up to the NASCAR Championship 4 media scrum Thursday afternoon, when someone jokingly made a reference to how many friends he can count.
    “My mother is my friend,” Logano said, his signature squinty eyes revealing a smile.

It was a light-hearted moment in the chaotic circumstances of NASCAR Championship weekend. If the four remaining drivers are playing NASCAR Survivor, Logano is out on an island, barefoot and all alone.
    It’s his fault, of course. He knows it, but hardly runs away from the circumstances that bring him to South Florida in hopes of winning his first NASCAR Cup title:

He roughed up Martin Truex Jr.’s car during a last-lap bump-and-run three weeks ago at Martinsville Speedway, squeezing it out of the way. Logano’s victory secured a spot in the Sunday’s Final Four mix, which includes Truex, Kevin Harvick and Kyle Busch.

Having been rough-housed, the normally-affable Truex promised payback. But having since qualified for the Final Four, perhaps Truex may not have quite the itchy-finger.

Logano, Truex might mix it up

• Like Like x 1
  7. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    NASCAR commentary

Stewart’s competitive streak won’t end
    Orlando Sentinel Sports

A three-time NASCAR Cup champion, he is now poised to become a two-time Cup championship winner as co-owner of Stewart-Haas Racing
    HOMESTEAD — Tony Stewart is everybody’s punching bag.
    I kid because I care. As do those closest to him.
    “Is Tony any different …?” I began by asking Kevin Harvick.
    “He’s overweight and needs a haircut right now,” Harvick interrupted.
    “Did you see Tony making such a smooth transition from driver to owner?” I asked Joe Gibbs.
    “I asked somebody, ‘Did he have a lobotomy or what?’ ” Gibbs said.
    Stewart takes the jabs in stride, understanding the quirky mix of sarcasm and love.

Stewart’s competitive streak won’t end

• Like Like x 2
  8. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Tony's perfect marriage isn't with Gene Haas. Its with Penelope. :) Funny story, this summer while fishing, he sunk a treble hook DEEP into his knuckle. He streamed it live on periscope/twitter while she drove him to urgent care. It was swelling, throbbing, turning black and blue. The staff snuck him in the back door, but the Dr. was afraid to touch it so they had to go to the emergency room. He was really hurting by the time he got it out.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I found out yesterday the Audi RS3 rides great at 150 mph. We passed most of this traffic easily. I also saw a new Ford GT and Indycar making laps. Looked like a Bobby Rahal ride from the early 1990s

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

11. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Rolex 24

Zanardi’s special steering wheel slows his drive

But despite problems, he still views event as a ‘fantastic experience’

By Jenna Fryer Associated Press
    DAYTONA BEACH — Alex Zanardi was full of nervous energy as he waited his turn to drive in the Rolex 24 at Daytona.
    He expected to pull out of the pits and race as hard as possible in his long-awaited return to North America.

But his steering wheel didn’t work.
    Neither did the backup and the yearlong project by BMW to allow Zanardi to race at Daytona International Speedway without his prosthetic legs nearly ended before the Italian even got on track.

“My steering wheel was dead, not connected to the car,” Zanardi said. “I was ready to jump out of the car and it would have been the shortest stint of my life.”

It would have been a heartbreaking end to Zanardi’s magical appearance at Daytona, where the Italian has been the star attraction at an event that is stuffed with exotic cars, an infield festival and the top sports car drivers in the world. But just as the Italian was about to turn the car over to his teammate, the steering wheel locked into place and allowed him to drive away.

“The steering wheel is the brain of the car; you’re controlling everything out of it,” Zanardi said. “I power the car with the steering wheel, the throttle mechanism. If the steering wheel isn’t interacting with the car, the car won’t work.”
    Zanardi’s special steering wheel slows his drive

12. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Rolex 24
    Alonso anchors rain-shortened win

1st Rolex 24 ended by storms goes to Wayne Taylor team

By Jenna Fryer Associated Press
    DAYTONA BEACH — Fernando Alonso deftly maneuvered through some of the most dangerous driving conditions of his career to grab another victory in a bucket-list event.

Alonso drove a Cadillac DPi to the front of the field in each of his three stints in the Rolex 24 at Daytona, including the final pass for the lead in a heavy rain, on a slick track, with almost no visibility. The race was red-flagged minutes after Alonso put Wayne Taylor Racing out front on Sunday, and IMSA pulled the plug about two hours later.

The decision to call the race came 10 minutes before the scheduled conclusion and marked the first time rain prevented the Rolex from going the full 24 hours. It also was the first time in race history the event was stopped twice for red flags for rain.
    Alonso was sitting under a blanket on the Taylor pit stand when the race was called.

“It’s too bad we didn’t get to race the full distance, but we led the race in night, day, dry, wet, so I think we all kind of deserve this one,” he said.
    Alonso joined Phil Hill (1964) and Mario Andretti (1972) as F1 champions who also won the most prestigious sports car event in North America. Alonso, who has two F1 titles, retired from that series in November.
    Alonso anchors rain-shortened win