Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

2018 Movies

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by citygator, Apr 25, 2018.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Watched Super Troopers 2. I was excited, but cautious because it's a comedy sequel. There were some pretty funny parts. If you liked the 1st one you should like this one. I hear there is a 3rd on the way.

2. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Watched Ready Player One. I really enjoyed it. I didn't read the book and I am not a gamer. I thought it was a great story, pretty exciting and had some laughs. The 80's/90's references and music were great. Only criticism is that like most movies, it should be a lot easier to get rid of someone you wanted to kill off, especially in a VR world.

3. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I was not impressed to say the least. I don't remember laughing out loud once. I know it looks like I hate movies here, but I swear I don't.

4. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Really? I thought the opening scene was great! I didn't think it was hilarious, but I thought it had some pretty good laughs throughout.

5. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Saw 3 movies this weekend and I recommend all 3:

Eighth Grade - Very powerful movie. I think it deserves to win awards. The writing was great. The acting was great. The story was great. One of the best movies I have seen this year. I think Bo Burnham might have found his calling. He was mediocre as a comedian, but he is very original and creative (see his old YouTube videos of his songs)

Puzzle - Never heard of it until I was going. Slow moving, but a great story with great acting. Never really heard of Kelly Macdonald before, but I think she had an Oscar worthy performance.

Slenderman - If you liked Nightmare on Elm Street back in the day, you will like this movie. It's a horror/suspense movie but it keeps your interest. I think they haven't made very good movies in this genre in a long time. Also, while it's pretty out there with regards to reality, it did cause some real life trouble. Slender Man stabbing - Wikipedia

Also saw some previews for movies that I think will be pretty good.

A Simple Favor - Reminds me of The Girl on the Train which I really liked.

Peppermint - Not usually a fan of Jennifer Garner, but she looks bad@$$ in this. Female version of the movie where Denzel and Bruce Willis f stuff up after tragedy strikes.

Welcome to Marwen - Steve Carrell movie based on a true story from the creator of Forrest Gump.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
    I'm up for seeing Slenderman. Good to know it's worth watching.

I just watched American Made (2017) on HBO and really enjoyed it.
    Just seems so crazy how deep the ties are between our government and all the drugs and crime. Not a Tom Cruise fan, but he was great for the role.

7. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Mission Impossible 6 was fantastic. Excellent summer action movie. I might list it first in the series, but I do really like MI1.

8. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    I haven't seen the movie yet but not long ago Bill Simmons had the writer and producer of that film on a podcast alongside Simmons' daughter who is in eighth grade and had the chance to watch the movie before it was released. Was a really good podcast you might want to go listen to since you liked the movie!

• Like Like x 1
  9. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Hearing great things about Eight Grade. Definitely Oscar bait. That's on my list, right behind BlacKKKlansman.

10. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Eighth Grade was really good. It takes a little while but the second act really brings it all together. Blackkklansman was good but not as good as the overall hype makes it to be. It's apparently a true story which is the only thing that really ties it together, because if not you would just question the reasoning for having one investigator talk and then have to go through the trouble of then having another be the undercover "face" of the investigation. Also if you like films with character development you will be disappointed.

11. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    At first I was annoyed at how many times she said "like" in her videos and then I was like, this is genius because it's exactly how it should be.

12. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I was a fan of Bo Burnham when he first put out 3.14. I probably watched this video 50 times in the first week.

• Like Like x 1
  13. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    That's funny because for me it was umm...

14. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Just bought Hereditary on VUDU. Oh man was it good. One of the best Haunted type movies, perfect blend of some straight horror moments to full family drama with multiple camera and direction tricks to amp the unsettling atmosphere of it all. I'm going to post no more about it and I wouldn't look up too much about it. Except I watched it hours ago and there are still scenes stuck in my head.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Watched Truth or Dare yesterday. Mindless Horror film. Not terrible for what it was. These types of movies are never going to be great, but it was entertaining.

Anyone see Friend Request? That is the next one I want to watch (similar horror movie).

16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I thought it was kind of hilarious that Kevin Spacey's new movie took in about $200 on its opening weekend. No, that's not a typo. About $200.

That's what I call a bankable star!

17. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Saw BlacKKKlansman Sunday. I enjoyed it but was just short of blown away. It's a great premise but the actual story isn't quit fascinating enough to put you on the edge of your seat. Still a very promising comeback for Lee. Was very impressed with Washington and equally impressed with Adam Driver, who's probably my favorite actor right now.

18. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Definitely interesting. It was only available in 10 cities, but that is still an embarassing number. I am a fan of Kevin Spacey the actor. This is a movie I will probably watch, but wouldn't have seen it in the theater regardless. I think it will do much better once it is in Redbox or Netflix.

19. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    My sister is a movie connoisseur and she say Crazy Rich Asians was very good. She read the book also. I am definitely going to see it eventually.

20. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    When I read the premise for CRA, I was like "No way am I going to pay good money for an overproduced rom-com." My wife insisted we see it and I went along since she let me pick the restaurant afterwards. Easily the most entertaining film I've seen this year. The production design was amazing setting up the stylish tone for the movie. The story was very conventional but the characters were believable and incredibly engaging. Should get an Oscar nomination for production and costume design, if not a win for the latter.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1