Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2018. Dec. 8th. FINAL - The ARMY 17 NAVY 10 Game.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by RayGator, Oct 17, 2018.

1. gatorbred

gatorbred Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Former Army MP, so Go Army, beat Navy! That said I respect all the branches of the military and the players that play for them and the men and women that serve for them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    Great story, I’d love to see the look on your dad’s face if you ever told him, “guess what??? I just joined the navy!”

I have the same feeling here....as a little boy, I loved playing soldier and was in awe of my grandfathers D-Day experiences. As a 5 year old I knew what I wanted to do. I joined at 17 and the Navy didn’t even occur to me. I’ve got mad respect for all the services, but the Army is my jam.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. gator1gear

gator1gear GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hiram, Ga
    SALUTE.jpg

I joined the Army at 17. I remember the look on my recruiter's face when I said I want to be an Airborne/Infantry soldier ( Kinda like "Wow,we have a real idiot here).
    Every one of my Uncles, and one Aunt joined the Army, and had a combat MOS. I wasn't going to be any different. This game is one of my favorite games of the year, and win or lose ( Hopefully Army Wins), I salute both teams. GO ARMY!!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 10:36 AM
    • Like Like x 5
  4. UFORFU2

UFORFU2 Recruit

Apr 12, 2007
    Go Army.... beat Navy, then beat them again

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

Nov 7, 2014
    Capital of Gator Nation
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Attending this game is a bucket list item for me. Some day.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    We need an After Action Review on Sunday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. rmfleone06

rmfleone06 Sophomore

Aug 21, 2009
    Florida
    Go Navy, beat army.

• Like Like x 2
  9. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    My brother was watching the game when I dropped over long ago

I asked if he was for army or navy

He said Go Air Force!!!

He was in the AF and has passed on

So excuse me for saying

Go Air Force!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. NUM1GATRFN

NUM1GATRFN GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Acworth, Georgia
    Unless they are playing soldier as Navy Seals ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    A full-circle career

Like his first start, Navy QB’s final one to come vs. Army

Associated Press/Orlando Sentinel

Zach Abey will always be part of Army-Navy history.

In 2016, Abey became the first quarterback to ever make his first career start in the Army-Navy game. He was thrust into the spotlight on short notice after season-long starter Will Worth suffered a broken foot in the American Athletic Conference championship game the previous Saturday.

“There is no doubt the magnitude of the Army-Navy game got to Zach that year,” Don Abey said. “It was the first time since Zach started playing football that I could look at him prior to the game and see he was really nervous.”

Abey had appeared briefly in two games that season before having to replace Worth in the second half of the AAC championship game against Temple at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. Because Navy played on what was normally a bye week, the Pasadena resident had just three full practice sessions to prepare for the biggest game of his life up until that point.

A full-circle career

12. SuperMOM

SuperMOM GC Legend

Jan 31, 2016
    Just remember, the Lone Survivor was rescued by Army Rangers!

u-s-army-rangers-even-marines-need-heroes-luckily-for-them-1559855.png

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. TrueGator

TrueGator All American

Nov 11, 2014
    I worked for a Navy agency for 35 years, so on this Pearl Harbor Day, I must say, "Go Navy!" But, I have abundant respect for all of you who have served in each of the great military branches. And, to the players on both sides of the Navy-Army game this weekend, we know you are heading for active duty to defend your country when you graduate from the academies, so some of you are foregoing millions of dollars in the NFL to serve. Deep appreciation to you for that, too!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 4:49 PM
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Just a quick note concerning my father’s military service. He signed up for the Navy during WW II. Sometime during his hitch in the Navy he was a medic so he wore a Marine uniform. After the war he gets out of the Navy and shortly afterwards signs up to join the Army. While in the Army, the DoD creates the Air Force and he transitions to that new branch of the military. So wore every uniform except the Coast Guard

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    Just curious, does your father have any connection to the book, The Long Gray Line?

16. Gator_druid

Gator_druid GC Legend

Oct 20, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Navy all the way

• Like Like x 1
  17. gatorranger7

Jun 8, 2007
    You just made my point: Even the Navy wants to play soldier.

JK...love my bros/sis's in arms.

18. gatorranger7

Jun 8, 2007
    Not sure and I can't ask him! One very close friend of our family, Art Bonifas, gets some attention and he has a cadet while dad was a TAC. Art and his family were very close to my folks during our last tour up there. They were deeply faithful and my dad took the opportunity to influence these young men for a second time, now all of them with combat in their sponson box of life experiences. Art was a TAC or a P at the time...I babysat their kids. Art's death was a salient moment in crystallizing why I wanted to do what I chose to do in the military. Dad was very well known to classes 1962-1964 since he was a Tactical Officer of large reputation during those years. How large? When a Medal of Honor recipient, while gripping your hand, states that everything that happened to him in life was driven by his branch choice of Infantry, and that choice was shaped by my dad, as it was for a lot of the cadets that opted for Infantry due to his influence, that tells you he had big influence. I'm sure dad would have known the guys that branched infantry, especially, but also a lot of the others from USMA '66, since their Beast Barracks COs were all class of '63. Some men cast longer shadows than others. I think my dad's complex thoughts on VN were driven in part by the realization of his influence up[on so many who went there, fought, and came home alive but deeply changed or came home dead.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 3:25 PM
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. ecogator

ecogator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You and the boys will never regret the decision to go. Enjoy it and remember that this game is what college football should be about.

• Like Like x 1
  20. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    Your grandpa had a bad ass job that I imagine few could perform.... flying backwards in a very slow plane while faster and more agile fighters tried to shoot him down. That’s a set of stones.

• Agree Agree x 2