Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2006 NCAA Championship Game Rewatch Companion

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Efawcett7, May 18, 2020.

1. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    I did a rewatch companion to the 2006 national championship game against UCLA that will hopefully enrich and contribute to your viewing experience! In the article is a link to the game on the March Madness YouTube page where the game is condensed perfectly with the commercials cut out making for a one hour and 11 minute viewing. I hope you enjoy!

2006 NCAA Championship Game Rewatch Companion | GatorCountry.com

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  2. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Thanks great memories. The way you described it, I can visually remember the play.

3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I'll check this oot when I get a chance. Is it a watch along video with your own commentary? If yes, can we watch it with ya and grab a couple Molsons?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Efawcett7

Oct 7, 2014
    Haha, it's just my words so you won't get to take in my Canadian accent.

Though nothing is stopping you from having a few Molsons while watching, eh

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    He strikes me as more of a Moosehead guy

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Going to have to check this out! thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Efawcett7

Oct 7, 2014
    That would be an accurate take. In Canada Molson is kinda like Budweiser, it's the big brand that's commercialized and therefore not cool but moosehead has a bit more hipster appeal. They're comparable beers but I'd say I'd lean Moosehead.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. Efawcett7

Oct 7, 2014
    Be sure to give your thoughts and takes afterwards!

9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Well then you've sold me. Thanks for the local knowledge. Moosehead it is! :emoji_beers:

• Like Like x 2
  10. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Moosehead is like the PBR of Canada, is my understanding. The only really good Canadianc beers I've had are Unibroue stuff and Dieu du Ciel. I'm sure there are plenty now in 2020 though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I pretty much gave up beer several years ago . . . for hard liquor. :devil: The unfortunate thing is that we are in a golden age of beer right now, so I'm missing out on some great products. And while so many of the craft ales are ridiculous good, I find myself craving a nice crisp lager at the moment. Any suggestions for a good craft lager - lighter, crisper, summery kind of beer?
    New Glarus has a Spotted Cow that's really nice, but I think it's an ale.

• Like Like x 1
  12. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    This is my go-to fishing/golf/outdoor activity beer. It's a Pilsner, but it sounds like exactly what you are looking for. I believe they have distro in Minnesota.
    [​IMG]

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. Efawcett7

Oct 7, 2014
    That's definitely a fair comparison of Moosehead to PBR. You'll also see Moosehead more on the east coast (I'm in the western prairies).

I know everyone is biased to where they are from and think their area produces the best beers but man, I really think Canada has the best beer. Since so much of canada is fields of barley and wheat it only makes sense that breweries can have great access to the freshest and best malt possible. A blessing and a curse of canadian beer is that a lot is unfiltered without any preservative meaning it will only last in the bottle a couple of months (a bit longer in cans) so it can get very regional so a lot of provinces have great craft beer only available in that province, it doesn't even get exported to other places in Canada.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I've rewatched that game in entirety at least half a dozen times. Never gets old.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Only half a dozen? And you call yourself a Gator hoops fan . . pffft :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Thanks for doing this, Eric. And I'm sorry for hijacking the thread for beer conversation . . . . ok not really. :p
    I started reading w/o the game on (sharing tv with the wife at the moment) and realized that I must do a watch-in while I read your comments. So I have something to look fwd to on the weekend.

One of the things I remember about this game is just how stout UCLA's defense was. We had about 9pts with 12min left in the first half. It was a rough start on offense, but our defense was equally up to the task. Those Gator boys could suffocate a good team. Back to UCLA - they held, I think it was LSU, to some ridiculous number a game or two before the championship. So it was a bit of a frustrating first 10min from an offensive perspective, but I believe we got some scoring from Taurean at the arc in the first half and Lee from the arc in the second half. That's how I remember it, anyway.

We could always count on Humphrey to hit a big shot in crunch time. So many times he would hit a shot to essentially make it the Gators' game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yep, UCLA demolished LSU in the semifinal. Their defense was scary good and it took us a while to break it down. But as good as their defense was, ours was better. After 10 minutes, UCLA looked scared every time they took a shot. Brewer absolutely dominated Aflalo.

• Like Like x 2
  18. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    But if you find a mouse in a bottle ...

19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    La Fin du Monde is pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I remember sitting in the stands in 2006 and during the first half my wife was worried. I told her that UCLA was in serious foul trouble and we were OK.

• Like Like x 1