Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2000 Gators

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorPlanet, Feb 9, 2019.

1. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Last night I revisited on YouTube the Gators' games vs. Duke and UNC in the NCAAT. What really jumped out to me was the commitment to rebounding. Udonis Haslem, Mike Miller, Brent Wright, Donnell Harvey, Matt Bonner... those guys really fought hard for rebounds and did it with great technique as well. Excellent boxing out and when they got the rebound they protected it. People couldn't strip the ball from them. And this was against bigger teams. UNC was HUGE along the front line.

Show the old film to the current guys, Mike.

Another thing I noticed... the Gators won both games despite not very good shooting nights. Miller, normally a great shooter, was off target both games, from both the floor and the free throw line. Kenyan Weaks went 52 of 55 from the free throw line all season, but then missed 3 in a row against UNC.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Donnell Harvey was the biggest pound for pound beast I've ever seen play here.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    His dunk against okie state was unreal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    My memory of him before rewatching was that he was somewhat slightly built, like Hayes. Nope. Although lean, the guy was quite powerfully built.

5. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    But, man, Haslem was quick for a guy of his build. Played with a nasty streak too.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Another thing; Brent Wright could bring it up court on his own, much like Noah and Horford later would.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    That team was stacked w depth. Billy would often sub in four and there were a few times he brought in an entire new five.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Wright is one of my all time favorites. I loved his game. One of the best hi-low entry passers you’ll ever see. His game completely opened the court. Great player.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    And one of the best PF at the top of the press in most every game we've ever had. You don't see that very often.

• Like Like x 2
  10. garygator27

garygator27 Junior

Mar 28, 2017
    I was fortunate enough to be courtside for that game. My friend and I were imploring Gotlieb to shoot the ball every possession, having a little fun with him.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    So you’re the reason he hates us!!! ;)

• Funny Funny x 6
  12. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I miss those guys. :oops:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    That 2000 Florida team put it all together by Tourney time. Their run was
    unanticipated. During their regular season, they would lose almost all of the close games (i.e, Tennessee w/ Ron Slay swept them, Depaul, etc.). Actually, their losses were unexpected - most of their victories were by blowouts and so whenever there was a loss it was a surprise to the fans.
    1999-00 Florida Gators Schedule and Results | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
    1999-00 Florida Gators Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
    1999–2000 Florida Gators men's basketball team - Wikipedia

Florida had the chance to win the SEC outright but lost their last home SEC game to Kentucky which ended up being a crazy 4-way tie for the SEC title that year. UF got bounced early in the SEC Tourney. In their first game against Butler, it looked like an early exit from the Tourney before the miracle Miller/Dupay sequence happened. This video is when UF was down 7 to Butler with about 2+ minutes to go and shows how they fought all the way back (such tension in the final moments):

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    ...and I recall a lot of people on this site who didn't get what a huge blow it was to our tournament hopes the year Wright went down with injury. They weren't going to let that "excuse" get in their way of another clean shot at criticizing Billy :rolleyes:

Great multi-talented player who (as you indicate) was a talented passer as well as scorer. My usually faulty memory is telling me Wright had a 3-point shooting percentage in the upper 40's for at least one of his seasons. I could be wrong...maybe I'll google it later :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Brent Wright had a lot of respect from our competitors. Pitino and UK showed that during his Senior Day. Very classy.

16. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Brent Wright is a great example of how a player can improve. He was always a good player for us, but as a freshman, his shooting percentage was bad and his free-throws were awful, in the sub-50% range. Both improved over his career, and his free-throw percentage as a senior was in the over-80% range.

• Like Like x 1
  17. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    When you look at that team, 4 of those 5 played in the NBA and the other played Internationally for years. Also, lot of height on that team at all positions. We don’t have bigs like that currently. Coach Whites downfall has been his inability to recruit quality bigs that can give us good minutes

18. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    What a video! What stood out to me:
    1) Harvey's hustle in stealing a rebound off of Haslem's 1st FT miss. This was converted into 2.
    2) Haslem making 2 FTs w/ the game on the line at the end of regulation.
    3) Miller couldn't buy a basket until the end.
    4) Butler had 2 guys foul out- both on bad calls. But if memory serves, the first guy (Hainje?) was allowed to get away with murder during the game.
    5) Butler was up by 3 with 30 seconds to go in OT.
    6) LaVall Jordan was an 81% FT shooter that season, but missed both FTs w/ 10 seconds left.
    7) Miller's miracle at the end- with the buzzer going off as soon as it left his hand.

It was a gutty, difficult game, and this team deserves a lot of credit. But we also had our share of luck.