Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(M-TEN) #2 Texas takes down #1 UF

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by gatorbogey, Jan 15, 2020.

1. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Gators won the doubles point.
    Then, only won on court 6 in singles.

tough showing.

Crawford, Andrade, Bicknell won their first sets. Only Blaise won his 2nd. Crawford lost in 3 sets on court 1.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Jo again didn't play singles...not sure it would have mattered since Bicknell won his match.
    Andrade and Vale both lose to freshmen, Grief beaten at 5 by a fellow soph. Pretty disappointing outing, no one seemed able to win the key points.
    Riffice surged to start his second set and then collapsed. Crawford just couldn't break thru Ito's serve at 1 and got broken at deuce once to lose his 3rd set.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Texas played like defending national champions even with new players to bolster their returning one and two players. I was disappointed with the way we totally lost momentum in three key matches. It is a long season and this team will grow from the bitter disappointment of Wednesday evening. Largest crowd I have ever seen at the Ring Tennis Center.

• Like Like x 2
  4. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Coach, is Jo healthy for singles or is Coach Shelton just mixing the lineup around as I expect him to do thru the season? Not saying Jo is better than anyone that played yesterday, but his experience in the big moments is superior to most.
    Most frustrated with 2 veteran juniors losing to freshmen at home....although Andrade seemed to fold his tent once the match was clinched for UT.

6. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The team is nine deep that can play at any time. All nine of those players competed last night. The lineup decisions were not based on anyone being injured. Your summation of the match is accurate in my mind. The top two Texas players are two of the very best in collegiate tennis this year, and they are seniors. The middle of our lineup last night is made up of two juniors and one sophomore. They were up against two freshman and a sophomore from Texas. We MUST get more out of the middle of our lineup against teams the caliber of Texas. We DID NOT last night. It is as simple as that. On the bright side Bicknell is wide eyed and a special talent. I was surprised to see him in the lineup but he proved his worth. Another plus is doubles where we struggled last year with consistency. Last night's three doubles teams played good solid tennis. Will Grant has only been on campus for a few weeks since he came to us in January rather than August. He will be a factor in doubles and we will see if he is a fit in singles at some point. Our number one and two players are outstanding but they got beat last night and that is going to happen at the highest levels of collegiate tennis. Everyone has a solid one and two player that is on our schedule. So Crawford and Riffice need to hold their own and win their share. As I said earlier the KEY to a successful season for Florida this season is getting consistent production out of the middle and bottom of our lineup. Texas did last night with youngsters, and we did not.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    R U a coach with the team?

8. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I am excited to follow and watch them this season.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Should be a fun season to follow!

10. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am a retired UF mens tennis coach who works with the Gator Men's Tennis Boosters now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Thanks, coach. Some knew; I did not.

12. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He's also a legendary hall of fame coach in state high school ranks

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I write a newsletter in conjunction with the Gator Men's Tennis Booster organization after each match which is written more from a tennis prospective that just a news item. The newsletter also contains booster information about upcoming events pertaining to the men's tennis boosters.