Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

1984 National Champions!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by fortunateson, Mar 11, 2019.

1. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    No, I wasn't 'in the midst...'--i was in my teens (but then, I was around some pretty well connected Gators at the time...). Beyond that, I've read a fair amount about the whole ordeal over the years.

As for what kind of sanctions--idk-longer bowl bans, more schollies and the like....and i believe the DP was in play--perhaps I should say, to my recollection, at least the perception of the DP was.

fwiw.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    This story should give millennials a decent idea of just how bad things were prior to 98 and the bcs. It’s why you’ll never find me bitching about the 4 team playoff etc. I’m relieved it’s not like it used to be

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    And bama did that with more than just one title. It’s comical to hear main stream media quote their proclaimed title count.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    Don’t forget 2006!

• Like Like x 2
  5. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I agree...but again when comparing offensive talent alone to 2008, 1984 had marginal NFL talent. (Bell threw 5 passes...ever.) 2008 has multiple guys STILL starting in the NFL a decade plus later.

I think Tebow threw for more yards and TD's on that one overtime play in Denver then Bell threw his entire NFL career.

I get romanticizing one of the great teams in history...but a few folks here are just going too far when they rank its offense ahead of a few of our others.

When you include defense, maybe you can make that claim...maybe. But I simply cant make that leap offensively.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I think 1984 was superior to 2006.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I don't think I can agree with this statement. UF had unprecedented success in the 90s under Spurrier, with 6 SEC Championships including 3 in a row. There was certainly no hangover from the sanctions of the 80s, we just had a damn hard time beating ref$u. That is, until 52-20

8. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    My point was that the noles in the 90's were built on the momentum/traction they were able to achieve in the late 80's, due to the sanctions slapped on UF. Their recruiting improved substantially (IIRC) while UF was under sanctions, and having a lingering cloud of NCAA scrutiny continuing to loom over it (probation-which actually *burst* (for lack of a better word) in '89).

We were playing catch-up going into the 90's as Bowden came into his own, and they were able to maintain that momentum, and even build further on it.

IMHO, that does not happen, if UF doesn't get hammered by the NCAA.

They'd be playing catch-up, and more likely than not, not have enjoyed near the success that they did, in the 90's.

jmho/fwiw.

That point notwithstanding, my main point stands--that the noles of the 90's were significantly better than the noles of the 80's. Hence (IMHO) It's apples to oranges, to measure how the Gators performed against the noles in the 80's vs. the 90's.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  9. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    ^^^One other point--the 'hangover' I referred to, was '86-'89--not actually the 90's.

Didn't Spurrier already have us 'best in the SEC' in '90? No? Didn't we win the SEC, but couldn't claim it, due to sanctions in '89? I vaguely remember that...feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken here.

Either way, we were still reeling from the sanctions, while FSU was already vying for the natty at that point (IIRC). So while we recovered fairly well (thanks to Spurrier), we were still playing catch up vis a vis the noles, b/c they were able to sling shot right past us (talent wise/recruiting)--due to the sanctions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Must concur. I loved that '06 team, but there was a whole lot of winning ugly that year--and '84 was wwaaayyy more balanced, and had a much better offense than '06's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You are correct, sir

12. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago

Five first round draft picks, 55 NFL seasons and 17 Pro Bowls is marginal? Good for the guys still playing from 2008. Lomas Brown was still playing 17 years after he left UF.

Those numbers I put together only represent players on that team's offense and I didn't even include Bell. Even Frankie Neal, who later flunked out, ended up playing for the Packers after transferring.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Brown skews those numbers though. 1/3 of all nfl season off that team were one guy.

14. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    1984 1996 2006 2008 were all Superior!

Can’t wait to see Coach Mullen to get us some more! And in 2019!

GO GATORS ! :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I was actually short with the number of NFL seasons. It was 72 NFL seasons. Brown- 17 Williams- 10, Malarkey- 9, Hampton- 9, Anderson- 8, Ker- 8, Nattiel- 7, Zimmerman- 4. Brown may skew the numbers a little but that's a lot of Gator offensive players playing a lot of NFL football. By my count, at least eight offensive players went on to the NFL, five of them in the first round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    The 2006 team, if not for one blocked field goal would have gone to the Outback Bowl instead of laying a woodshed beating on the suckeyes over there in Glendale. That was fun, no doubt about it. I wonder if the stadium shaking measured on the richter scale. I know I had to hold on. Both were worth every minute and every penny.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DoctorGator

Apr 9, 2007
    Cant argue with that!

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. DoctorGator

Apr 9, 2007
    Not only that, the 1987 NFL First-team All-Rookie Team WRs were Frankie Neal, Packers and Rickey Nattiel. Broncos.