Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

1984 National Champions!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by fortunateson, Mar 11, 2019.

1. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    In the 2008 SECCG against Alabama, a ball-control offense (like the one that 1983-85 Florida had) was beating Florida for three quarters. Florida was down 10-7 after 1 quarter and 20-17 after the third quarter. Tim Tebow had an 0-5 record when Florida was trailing in the 4th quarter. If not for a tremendous rally by Tebow, Meyer's 2008 Florida team would have tasted yet another defeat again. . Alabama vs. Florida - Game Recap - December 6, 2008 - ESPN

In 2009, Alabama with their ball-controlling offense did deny Florida another national title opportunity. Alabama's Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson and company ran for over 250 yards (3 rushing TDs) and had ball control passing by Greg McElroy (1 passing TD).Florida vs. Alabama - Box Score - December 5, 2009 - ESPN

===================================
    In another post, I will show how Florida-mid-80s is comparable and perhaps even more talented than Alabama's 2009 national title winning team which ended Florida's dominance in not only the SEC but also nationally.
    ==================================

Now regarding Oklahoma's 2008 high octane offense that emphasized a no-huddle, passing game that generated their stats in the Big12 conference. There was another program (Southern Cal in 2004) that absolutely destroyed a similar OU attack which was led by another Heisman winning quarterback and a back by the name of Adrian Peterson.

In 2008, Florida was very fortunate to win their game against a similarly talented Oklahoma team. Recall during that goal line stand by UF late in the 2nd, Oklahoma could have scored from the goal line had the sooners just tried running the ball more rather than trying to throw it several times with their hot-shot Heisman winning quarterback (Sam Bradford) into the end-zone from like the 1-yard line. OU had another prolific NFL running back in Demarus Murray (7000+ yards & 49 TDs with the Dallas Cowboys) but chose to not use him in that situation.

That changed the complexion of the game and gave Florida momentum heading into the locker room. That game was tight also: 7-7 at half-time, 14-14 early in the 4th before Florida and Tebow slowly pulled away.

Teams that can't run the ball in certain situations pay the price.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 11708cht

11708cht VIP Member

Jun 18, 2017
    I was at the 95 game against NU. When they came on the field , their DB”s were the same size as our LB”s. I knew we were in trouble.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I agree...Same players for the most part.
    I would throw 2001 in there as a great one too.

I am just conparing 84 to our claimed NC's

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    We weren’t barred from the Sugar Bowl. We elected to have that game put toward the two year bowl ban.

5. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    1984 was our most talented and deepest team ever. As an example, Chris Perkins, our backup PK, is still tied with Fuad Reveiz & Kevin Butler for longest SEC FG @ 60 yards.

It was against Tulane & I still contend he should have been credited with 61 yards.

Our #1 PK was RJ Raymond’s Dad, Bobby, who was one of the most accurate we have ever had.

We had Bama-like depth & acquired it the same way!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Teams that can't run the ball in certain situations pay the price.”

To your last statement, no greater example than the Choke. All we needed to do was grind out a few 1st downs in the 4th and we couldn’t.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I still contend that 1995 Nebraska could have beaten half the NFL teams

8. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Me too.
    And I didn't make my point clearly enough- the 95 Husker team would have made LOTS of teams look weak and middling.
    Even teams that won NCs in other years.

So is it fair to downgrade our 95 team because they couldn't beat (arguably) the GOAT of CFB? (With players who were, ahem, helped with help they would not get today.)
    I think not...

9. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    We might have only taught the world that year that going open kimono and self-reporting was not advantageous.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Help? You mean like getting a release from prison so you can play in the bowl game, only to go back behind bars after the victory celebration?

• Like Like x 1
  11. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That's one way to put it. Another way would be to identify that FLORIDA beat that #1, undefeated, ball-control offense by double digits WITHOUT one of the greatest offensive players in FLORIDA history. FLORIDA would go on to have 2 wins over final top 10 teams (or if you prefer, a then-#1 and a then-#2).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. eViLG

eViLG All American

Aug 18, 2013
    Ocoee, FL
    The OP’s attempt at sarcasm is noted.

13. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Totally get your point re ball control, but feel compelled to point out that your conclusion rests on the right 'jimmys n joes', not scheme. Will Muschamp was a disciple of 80's ground n pound. His execution of it, left much to be desired (needless to say).

Similarly you keep bringing up FSU'ss success v SOS, and contrasting 80's Gators' success vs FSU.

Problem there is that FSU became who they were in the 90's, due to the sanctions saddled on UF--as a result of...practices pursued in the 80s by UF....to stack the locker room (regardless how unjust the sanctions were).

...and SOS knew UF was under great scrutiny, due to our history with NCAA. In fact, if you'll recall, the job opened up for SOS, bc the NCAA took out Hall for even faaaaaarrrr pettier shit than what happened under Pell.

The point is that Spurrier had much greater obstacles to overcome than the 84-85 team(s) --especially in terms of Jimmys n joes--and STILL managed to out produce them (until he got out from under NCAA cloud, then he had plenty of talent, and we saw his potential--which included that magnificent dismantling of one of Bowden's best teams ever, in the '97 sugar bowl).

TBL, is that the FSU that SOS faced, was night n day vs what Pell n Hall faced. Not a fair comparison at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    ...and they held like big ugly dogs, all might long.

Margin prolly much greater, if the refs called the game half way decently.

15. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Not really. What killed UF, was our sunshine laws. We couldn't hide behind the law like many other schools in other states could.

...and bear in mind, a short time later, the NCAA castrated SMU (perhaps emboldened by our zealous contrition)--thereby sending a stronger message about thumbing your nose at them--which SMU did about as overtly as one could (though it has long since essentially been rendered moot, at the time, it was very compelling).

Bear in mind further, that we hired Charlie Pell, in the wake of a pile of violations of the same ilk as were *alleged* here, as were committed at Clemson. The NCAA did not take kindly to that particular act of defiance on our part--we basically invited the NCAA, and threw down the gauntlet with them...only to go into CYA mode, and play ignorant, when the bill came due.

The fact of the matter is that the NCAA went easier on us b/c of the *apparent* (since it would have come out anyway due to sunshine laws, just later...) self-reporting.

We might have won an ensuing legal battle, but the damage would have been done, and would likely have been far worse that what we endured, imho.

You might say UF was dealt a hard hand to play, once the NCAA came calling--so we (UF admin, that is) capitulated--but the fact of the matter is that we we pretty much chose our hand when we hired Pell, being essentially on notice of the mess he'd left behind him.

I just like to think that we partied from '83-'85...then had to deal with a helluva a hang over, from '86-'89.

The proud defenders of the '84-'85 team here, apparently remember the party. Many of us OTOH, remember the hangover, at least as well as teh party....and appreciate the parties that we were privileged to enjoy, in the 90's, and mid-oughts (with their own hangovers, but of a different self-imposed variety (i.e.--Zook/MaClChump).

I guess the ultimate takeaway here, is that when you party like a rock star....you can expect to be hung over like a big ugly dog.

C'est la vie.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. fortunateson

fortunateson Junior

Oct 4, 2015
    OK...now that we've strayed off topic, when am I getting my damn 1984 National Championship gear?! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    Thanks for the insightful perspective. Sounds like you were in the midst of all of this. So, in what way did they go easier on us, other than avoiding some form of full-on "death penalty" like I think I remember SMU had leveled upon them?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    I honestly have no thoughts on that team. I know barely anything about them. Didn't watch them play a game. All my thoughts on this are based on what people who were there thought so I like reading this but at the end of the day, I'm not young and have no recollection of the 84 Gators so... Where was I going with this. See, told you not young.

19. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Seriously the best post ever. Well done Till. LOL! AGREED!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I was at that game too. Damm you Bernie Kosar!!

Our 1984 team was awesome. It was loaded with NFL talent if I recall correctly. John L. Williams, Neal Anderson, Lorenzo Hampton, Scott Trimble, Kerwin Bell, oh heck I could go on and on. :)

• Like Like x 1