Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

1984 National Champions!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by fortunateson, Mar 11, 2019.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Appreciate it my friend, and I know we all have different pov's on topics...

My take here is the 2008 defense shut down the highest scoring offense in NCAA history. (A balanced offense with a Heisman QB and great run/pass mix.)
    Therefore, I don't think it is hyperbolic to say they would shut down a lesser ranked one.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I was at the Gators-Cane game at Tampa in 84

Had a fifty dollar bet with a coworker that gave me ten points

We took the lead very late then Kosar took about thirty seconds to take it back

But I still have my points

Then we tried a last ditch throw which they intercepted and run it back for a td and win by 12

Got fifty reasons why we didn’t win it all that year

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. tilly

Lots of good offenses in our history, but could any offense really top these?

2008?:
    08 had a heisman winner and 3 time finalist at QB
    08 had the best offensive player in program history (Percy)
    08 had 4 NFL guys on that O-Line (3 still in the NFL today)
    08 had 2 NFL TE's
    08 had 6 NFL Wideouts. (Percy, Nelson, Hammond Jr, Thompson, Cooper and Murphy) Think about that. SIX NFL wideouts.
    08 had an Amazing running game with Percy, Rainey, Demps, Moody, Moore
    08 had Dan Mullen calling plays
    Lets remember. That 08 offense was so deep, that an injury to the top two QB's would have led to some future Heisman scrub named Cam Newton.

How about 96?:
    96 had Heisman QB
    96 had 4 Starting NFL wideouts (Green, Anthony, Hilliar, McGriff)
    96 had a Hall of fame running back. and two other really good ones. Taylor, Jackson, Williams)
    96 had a Loaded O-line with a lot of NFL seasons to follow (Collins, Carlisle, Pillar etc) Kallich and Young were both very good with Kallich getting a small run with the Redskins I believe
    96 had SOS drawing plays in the dirt and going 80 yards on people before they could blink.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

My friend, the "improper cash payments to athletes" included pocket change for pay phone calls. We were also popped for major payoffs like. . . . . Gator hats.

To attack and punish UF like they did, while shit goes on like making direct payments to Cam Newton's dad via a church. . . . under everybody's noses. . . . Mark Ingram driving around Tuscaloosa in a Cadillac Escalade that his cousin said openly was provided by Alabama -- and NOTHING ever came of any of it. . . .SCREW the NCAA and the SEC. And I was around when all that happened.

Go Gators

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    ....and shut their asses down despite their OL being permitted to hold repeatedly and egregiously, with complete impunity!

6. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It's ancient history, but as a point of information the NY times ranking of the Gators as no. 1 in 1984 was based on computerized analysis not a poll.

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    The styles of offense between the mid 1980s and the Spurrier's UF teams were just different that's all. Does one want to win the game quickly or win slowly knowing that the win is inevitable in the end? Those 80s UF teams were not too interested in going for 50 points against a rival but just get that satisfying win. Scoring close to 30 pts was the goal for those 80s teams.

The most impressive thing about the Spurrier era teams was winning those SEC titles with regularity and giving the school's first national title.

I do believe that Meyer's/Mullen's spread option offense which features a physical running game to go along with a safe passing offense that can generate yards without turnovers and occasionally going for big plays is similar in concept to the 1980s UF offenses. Both teams in the different eras emphasized special teams, defense and ball control/field position offense. Still, their quarterbacks/receivers were also capable of putting up all-league passing stats as well: Peace & Bell by the time they were finished at UF ended up in the top 3 category of SEC passing quarterbacks similar to how Leak & Tebow were in the top SEC/UF passing categories after they finished their college careers.

On the other hand, Spurrier's offenses with solid defenses usually wins the game by the first or second quarter. After one gets a 2 TD lead or more, just how many more points does one actually need to assure a victory? Often times, the game plan of the other team goes out the window when they fall behind and many begin to panic and make mistakes. See Saban & Alabama against Clemson last year.

However, what happens when you run up against a team that can match you defensively and slow you down? By not emphasizing the running game enough and/or recruiting enough depth at running back/OL, Spurrier's teams had trouble defeating Florida State & others (i.e Tennessee in '01, Alabama in '99, etc.). UF under Spurrier had a losing record vs fsu and had never won a game in Tallahassee - just a tie.

By not being able to always impose their will through a physical running game made things tough for some of Spurrier's teams (i.e, '98). Later when Zook followed SOS at UF, the Gators went back to that physical style of play and were able to finally win that game in Tallahassee after more than a decade and a half without one.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. cpgator

cpgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Fair point, though I don't think it strengthens the claim for a MNC. Polls represent the aggregated biases of a lot of voters but a computerized analysis reflects the aggregated biases of a much small number of programmers.

9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Great post RD. All so true

10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Yeah BUT - it’s highly unlikely those computer programmers are intentionally tilting the criteria to favor one team. A poll is directly impacted by bias.

11. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    No kidding. What we did then looks like child's play when compared with what is going on now. Other SEC schools were probably worse to boot; Herschel Walker showed up at UGA with a new trans am. Auburn was dirty, Bama was dirty, and probably UT and LSU as well.

I'm not saying we were innocent, but the hammering we took from the NCAA was over the top. Plus, Pell was essentially ruined and run out of football. Coaches get caught doing far worse today, and just move to another job.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Right on brother! And does ANYBODY honestly think Woody Hayes, John McKay, Bear Bryant, and Bo Schembechler were all squeaky clean?? NONE of those programs were ever investigated. And I don’t know whether or not Joe Paterno was dirty himself but he sat at the top of the NCAA infractions committee for years and turned a blind eye while that good ole boy network did whatever the hell they wanted. And we’re all pretty sure Paterno knew how to ignore bad things going on around him.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Love some of those plays!

14. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    “Fore-runner” of Sagarin. Actually, one and the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tilly

I get all that brother, but I seriously doubt UF fell on its sword over hats and phone calls. Like I said, it may even be what got us on the map.
    But only one players name was left unredacted from the documents. Lomas Brown. He admitted to over $2000 in payments after lying to the NCAA previously.
    We only know that because of a clerical error, but the university knew more and administered self imposed punishments because of that. My guess is if we had all the info, we might be a bit less fond of Pell's legacy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tilly

He would likely get a "Show Cause" today. Because they would have to consider the Clemson stuff too.

17. I would agree that the 2008, 2006, 1996, and 1984 teams in any order are the best teams in Gator history. What concerns me is that the history with the 1984 team is largely forgotten due to the NCAA and SEC sanctions. 2019 happens to be a good year to commemorate that team with a 35-year anniversary celebration. Maybe the team does not warrant a banner on the side of the Swamp, but there should be something to serve as a reminder. Is Norm Carlson still active as the Gator historian? There are some great opportunities with the 35-year anniversary of the unclaimed national championship and conference championship that can be sprinkled in between the 150-year anniversary of college football. If not this year, there is still the other unclaimed national title from 1985 to celebrate next year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

The 1995 offense was better than the 1996 offense. Look it up. The difference was, in 1996 we had a really good defense to go with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    It was. I would also argue that we didn't have to play a Tommy Frazier-led NU team that was arguably the GOAT in CFB.
    Our 95 team was pretty amazing and would have won the NC in many years. Just not that year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. cpgator

cpgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Agree. That Nebraska team was loaded with great players who couldn't get into school anywhere else. Once Nebraska had to start meeting conference academic regulations they suddenly went from looking like world beaters to looking like a team from a school where you freeze your nuts off in the middle of nowhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1