Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by Allanon, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Allanon

Allanon VIP Member

Jan 30, 2010
    We go to a lot of movies as we are big movie fans. I have been watching the Academy Awards since I can remember.

My wife and I went to see 1917 this afternoon. I wasn’t sure how she would like it. As soon as the movie was over she turned to me and said she thought it was the best movie she has ever seen.

In my opinion, as good as other actors have been this year, George MacKay in this movie should easily win Best Actor. It’s a travesty that he is not even nominated.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Who?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Allanon

Allanon VIP Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Young actor at 27. He was excellent in this movie.

4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Good thread for the pub!
    Edit: This IS the pub. Thought I was in the Swamp Gas. Lemme go grab another martini. :emoji_cocktail:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That narrows it down

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Nobody was going to easily beat Joaquin Phoenix this year. The only actor who's nomination was questionable to me was Leonardo DiCaprio.

7. kurt_borglum

kurt_borglum VIP Member

Dec 18, 2007
    If you have any interest in WWI, be sure to see "They Shall Not Grow Old" and the 30 min video on how it was made

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Allanon

Allanon VIP Member

Jan 30, 2010
    When we saw Joker I figured Joaquin Phoenix would probably win. But this young guy in 1917 was absolutely phenomenal. That’s just my opinion.

9. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    More great cinematography by Roger Deakins, and a no-fluff , exciting script. Just excellent movie-making.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    The movie was amazing. Rarely do I feel like I’m literally IN the movie. But I felt like I was on the field with the man guy the entire time. I left the movie shaking.

Probably the best directed movie I’ve ever seen.

11. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Incredible production, direction, acting and cinematography, it’s ground breaking with the long single shots.
    But the plot is basically a saving private Ryan prequel, with some obvious holes in it. Wish they could have found e the semblance of real story to use, there were countless ones to choose from.

12. kurt_borglum

kurt_borglum VIP Member

Dec 18, 2007
    I think the story line was based upon a true story from the director's ancestor who fought in WWI

13. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Saw if recently. Agree with the comments. The cinematography was top notch.

14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    his grandfather told him some stories about being a runner, but the plot was not based on any real events from him. The german retreat was real though.

15. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Just got back from seeing this in an IMAX.

Holy crap! That was almost too much in the IMAX.

The plot was unimportant, IMO. I felt like the idea was, "here's a taste of WWI." With some great acting and human interest themes - and to those ends it was A++.

Before seeing it, I was disappointed it didn't take place at the Somme, or Verdun, or Passchendaele or something, but now that I see what he did I realize that (one single two hour shot) couldn't be done with one of those meat grinders.

• Like Like x 1
  16. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    I saw it last night and it didn’t disappoint. Amazing moviemaking about a miserable war. There are some videos on YouTube showing the timing and precision required to make that movie.

Fun fact: The young actor playing Lance Corporal Blake also played young king Tommen Baratheon, last seen jumping out a window in Game of Thrones.

• Informative Informative x 1