Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

16 of 21 Gator sports programs have won a National Championship

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by TJtheGator, Jun 11, 2022.

1. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Football
    Baseball
    Men’s Basketball
    Men’s Golf
    Men’s Tennis
    Men’s Swimming and Diving
    Men’s Outdoor Track and Field
    Men’s Indoor Track and Field

Softball
    Women’s soccer
    Gymnastics
    Women’s Golf
    Women’s Tennis
    Women’s Swimming and Diving
    Women’s Indoor Track and Field

and finally tonight

Women’s Outdoor Track and Field

5 to go:

Women’s Lacrosse
    Volleyball (been damn close)
    Women’s Basketball
    Men’s Cross Country
    Women’s Cross Country

Go Gators!!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Those were the ones I thought we still need..come close in VB..and we have had some success in Lacrosse..women's BB maybe be harder..but I am seeing improvement ..hope it continues..Cross Country..I am not as informed...

3. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Volleyball came very close reaching the national title match twice. Mary just cannot get over that hump.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CalGator

CalGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I am proud to say that over the years I've followed ALL Gator sports 24/7 365 so have learned alot about all of the sports we compete in. Below are my thoughts on the sports we have yet to win a title in. Keep in mind that we've won the first ever title for UF in 4 sports over the last 5 years or so so you never know when we'll break through.

1. Women's lacrosse: We just rolled out this team within the last 10 years and have been kicking butt and taking names since day 1. Unfortunately it will be tough to break through since the best teams and players are in the NE. I wonder if we could use some NIL $ to sign a generational player to get us over the top.
    2. Women's Volleyball: We're the dominant program on the east coast and have been for a LONG time. Unfortunately I think we have the Mike Martin of the sport leading our program and I don't know if we'll ever get over the hump.
    3. Women's basketball: we've never even had a truly elite team. Under Ross we had pockets of "goodness". Like with the men's team I think the right coach could get us a title.
    4 & 5. M & W Cross country: Does coach Holloway have any control over this team? I'll admit that this is the one sport I know nothing about. I know our distance runners have been getting alot better on the T&F team.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
  5. pcgator

pcgator Freshman

Jan 1, 2017
    Cross Country is at a disadvantage (as you said...maybe NIL can help that) as Mouse knows what it takes to win T&F championships and they tend to spend scholarship money in other events than distance. Yes... he is technically the HC of both sports and I believe money (scholarships) are used as both teams combined.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I talked about XC on the other thread but to repeat...
    Chris Solinsky is our coach in charge of XC, though Mouse is technically HC as PC notes above.

I've seen good improvement in the individual runners- like Valby and many others.
    And the men's class we signed that began in 21-22 was really strong.

So I think we are on the rise...
    However, we've been mid-pack in the SEC the last few years.
    Going from mid-pack SEC to front pack SEC is one thing. IMO that's happening.
    Going from mid-pack SEC to winning the NC is a heavy lift.

Cross-country is one of the few sports that the SEC doesn't dominate. Outside of the top 2 teams- it's not that strong. (Unlike track.)
    SEC schools-outside of Arky- have spent their scholarship money on shorter track events. (Or jumps, etc.)

But we are certainly in a new world with NCAA athletics.
    With a few more runners like Valby, we will be on our way.
    Edit- here's Solinsky's bio...
    Chris Solinsky - Cross Country Coach - Florida Gators

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 2