Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(VB) #16 FLORIDA VS. #1 LOUISVILLE (THIRD ROUND) (NCAA WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL TOURNAMENT)

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by johnny_cakes, Dec 9, 2021.

1. 352Fella

352Fella GC Legend

Jan 30, 2008
    East Gainesville
    What's worse is we're now playing for 2nd place in conference. Kentucky is now the standard, and they have an NC trophy to prove it.

2. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Yep, Ky is now the lead dog in the sec, but didn't do them any good in the tourney. They got bounced out b4 the Gators

• Like Like x 2
  3. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Well played

4. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lost in the sweet 16 to undefeated #1 team.....grab the pitchforks
    People may damn sure get their wish when Mary retires. There isn't some special thing about UF that guarantees they have an elite volleyball team. We could EASILY see the team go in another direction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Mary has made the tournament 30 consecutive years, never lost in the first round (so we have been to the second round in 30 straight years), only lost in the second round three times, been to eight final fours, is the winningest female coach of all time, and has never had even the slightest hint of controversy or program problems. And done it all in a conference where volleyball is an afterthought compared to the big 10 or pac 12.
    Good luck getting that with the next coach. People that would even talk idly about wanting her gone are insane.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. Johnhoge

Johnhoge Freshman

May 4, 2007
    Oragator1 is right on. I live in Sacramento and went to see the Gators play UC Davis earlier this year at Sacramento State in their 1,200 seat gym. Walked in looked ahead and there were the Gators in huddle with the legend Mary Wise - was an honor to be in the same building as her. Many other schools now are pouring resources into all sports so it is very difficult to win a NC. Plus she is a great mentor to the players. Doc Rivers said it gave him comfort knowing his daughter Allie was begin mentored by Coach Wise (dang, she is married to Seth Curry).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The louisville Wisconsin semi was epic, Wisconsin won it in 5.
    The level of defense between those two teams is why Mary hasn’t won one. We have never had defense like I saw tonight.
    Wisconsin is kind of like us, they have been to five final fours and three NC matches and not won one. Kinda hope they get it this year.

• Like Like x 1
  8. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Legend

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Agree -- semi's were epic match. Seeing VB played at this level is a treat. Finals equally epic. Down to a tie-breaker. Like Oragator1, I was also rooting for Wisconsin -- glad to see them break through. And such an huge, energized crowd. Great vibe.

Interesting to see Wisconsin’s injured star Danielle Hart participating in every huddle and supporting her teammates on the sideline.

Gee, can’t play but still supports the team. What a concept.

9. HeyItsMe

HeyItsMe GC Hall of Fame

Mar 7, 2009
    Florida continues to be far and away the best volleyball program without a title. They’re like the FSU baseball program of volleyball: way more historical success than a lot of programs with a title without the actual title to show for it. I have hope one day soon. Hell, it wasn’t long ago they were in the finals themselves so we know it can be done.

• Winner Winner x 1