Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

14 Marlins w/Covid-19?

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by pkaib01, Jul 27, 2020.

1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    NFL owners don't care, they are reactive to every issue. They had 3 months to prepare and come up with a suitable gameplan, but they're just hoping the pandemic would be controlled or magically disappear.

2. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Football will be infinitely worse. Is there a team sport where the players touch each other more than in football? Blocking, tackling, literally lining up face to face every play. If one player gets it, they will ALL get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

My dad is from Cincinnati and I was a Reds fan as a kid until the Rays came along. He is stoked, but it would figure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. obgator

obgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    If sports teams with their resources can’t handle this properly, imagine the foolishness of forcing schools to open and exposing children and teachers.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The teams have a 30 man roster and a second roster, which would be prospects. Sort of like Triple A, but different. But, 11 out of 30 players on a team plus coaches? This entire group now needs to quarantine. Remember: contact trace and quarantine? So if the Marlins continue with the entire second group, what does that do to their competitiveness? And that sets aside the risks. This is what we have been saying in the football threads. Really unfortunate. The baseball was a nice distraction from news and events Hopefully mild cases and the players get better. But, now we see the risks of sports outside the bubbles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I was talking to one of my NFL players last week and he said there is a theory going around the players that the owners do not want the season to be played because if they play one regular season game then cancel due to covid, they would have to pay the players in full. Better for the owners to pay them partial non playing salaries.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    That sounds plausible and would explain why they've been rather lackadaisical about this whole thing.

8. mutz87

mutz87 #nowaytospinit VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    How short until MLB shuts it all down?

9. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Absolute foolishness.

But then again, this is America where economics, conspiracy, and selfishness trump science, rational thought, and the greater good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Might as well.
    Also they can shut down the Extra Innings rule where you put a runner on second

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    I cant believe they put themselves in this position to even have to think about making this call, TBH. I think the sunk-cost fallacy will probably push them to try to keep it going until something gives though.

12. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    I was thinking the same thing about sunk-cost. Powers that be are going to see how much they can endure to keep this season going.

13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Plus the o’linemen and d’linemen are the athletes that would actually be at higher than normal risk due to their size. So they would be both most exposed to the virus by just playing the game, and most at risk should they get infected. It’s an impossible dilemma for football. I think athletes with good cardio and with low BMI would be 99.99% fine based on what we know, not a problem for soccer or nba or even baseball athletes - and obviously dbs and wrs in football fall into this lean athlete category. But a bunch of 300+ pound linemen getting it and you may see a death or two. It makes the risk with football totally different from even other team sports.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    That's a very valid point. Hadn't even considered that. God this fall is going to SUCK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tilly

They have like 30 players at spring training sites isolated from the parent club. That is how they will have to remedy. Marlins may have to play all minor leaguers and sit the entire big league squad.

16. tilly

As a Rays and Lightning fan, I want both. They are both really good and have a chance. It really sucks from a sports perspective because these moments are not common for a fanbase.

17. tilly

This. Rays game was crazy. Both teams got the runner home with no issue, but neither decided the game.
    Any rule where a reliever can throw three pitches and they all be ground ball outs....and lose...is a stupid rule.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    grew up going to tarpons games at al Lopez. . Got the free ones or $1 tickets in line at Publix.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I imagine that you will see an objection from teams not on their schedule but in either the AL East or NL East if they go that route. Not really fair to the Phillies that they needed to play the ML squad and the Orioles get somewhere between their AAA and their AA squad.