Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

14 Marlins w/Covid-19?

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by pkaib01, Jul 27, 2020.

1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016

So the Marlins knew a bunch of their players tested positive before the game? I would hope they were courteous enough to relay this information to the Phillies.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    That is not 0.003%. You are off by 2 orders of magnitude.

3. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    MLB has planned for this scenario happening. All MLB teams have an overall 40-man roster and there is an active 30-man roster (as compared to normally 25) that dresses to play games. Teams also have an additional 20 players who are not on the 40-man roster but are currently practicing daily at a minor league facility and can be called up at any time. So, assuming no other players test positive, the Marlins still have a pool of 46 players to put together a 30-man active roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    True. I take it back, we aren't going to have a college football season :(

5. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I would expect the parents of a local 11-12 year old LL team to act this way not a professional team with multimillion dollar corporations playing each position.

I know they have back up players, but the primary issue is one of exposure and tracing, not having enough outfielders or relief pitchers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    The virus will be a wild card ripping through some teams and not others. Do you play a healthy Alabama Or LSU with walk-ons?

The NBA players are accepting life in Disney’s gilded bubble because they make millions. College football won’t have a luxury bubble or the financial incentives.

7. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The Marlins sent the Phillies a note saying, "Several of our players have tested positive. We think it's only fair to let you know so you can decide whether to play us or forfeit the game."

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    You can't cobble together a team that wasn't exposed to those 14 people. Given the fact that people are still coming back with false negative tests, nobody is going to want to walk out onto a field and expose their team to a team with an outbreak ripping through it. I can't see how they aren't shut down for at least a week.

9. altalias

altalias GC Hall of Fame

Aug 13, 2008
    Before the baseball season started I heard someone on the radio ask Buster Olney what are the chances that MLB finishes the season. He said, "zero".
    There are a lot more players on a football team. The players are younger and therefore less mature. So if Mr. Olney is correct my mind is blown .The odds are less than zero, but they can't be, but they are...

10. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    While MLB has a contingency for this kind of occurrence, COVID could turn the season into literally survival of the fittest. A team like the Marlins could end up fielding a team that is blended with AAA players and some major leagers, while another team in the NL East could somehow avoid the virus and be at full strength. Is that really fair?

Some will say injuries are part of the game, but COVID isn't an injury, it's a virus. One that spreads and is deadly.

Leagues that can bubble will likely be ok in a tournament style "season," but MLB and football? I don't think that works in a bubble, and anything with travel in a non-bubble setting is at much higher risk. Sad, but I don't see the MLB finishing, and I don't see a football season this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. gatorzfan

gatorzfan VIP Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I'll blame it on fat finger.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yep, if your first baseman breaks his finger and can't hold a bat for a few weeks, that doesn't result in the second baseman breaking his finger too.

• Like Like x 3
  13. pkaib01

pkaib01 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Very true.

And even if you could clear 30 players for the MLB roster, it's a competitive disaster.

14. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    And a virus that may have jeopardized the long-term health of one of the game's best young pitchers

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Those rules are in place by the NCAA to remain compliant with title 9. Title 9 covers more than equal numbers.
    Title IX Frequently Asked Questions

You bubble the football team than a group of female students can/will sue on the basis of title IX.
    Why aren't we being bubbled and tested as well?

16. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The Marlins should have reported this to MLB to make a decision. They had 3 players who didn’t play yesterday who were supposed to and who had played Saturday. So, we should find out when the tests were. They need rapid test results, but 12-24 hours. And, of course, it is now evident why they stayed in Philadelphia.

17. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Again, MLB planned for this scenario and that is why they are carrying a pool of 60 players (at basically two different locations) for a two month season. Who knows what will happen going forward as far as more Marlin players testing positive but I assure this and other possible scenarios were thoroughly discussed, planned for and unfortunately, even expected.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I really don’t care that much this year if my favorite teams win a title or go even record during covid sports year. I just want to see sports. I’m sure most fans feel the same.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Well they probably would have to come up with something, in terms of equality.

But i was referring more towards the “hourly contacts” and other benefits rules that would have to be adjusted to accommodate a full bubble environment. I think that is mostly NCAA bylaws, and they can basically do whatever they want there. Nothing is set in stone.

This is all moot discussuon anyway, as it seems there is no intention or plan to do anything of the sort - not for football anyway.

I like whoever had the idea of having some “bubble tournaments” for basketball. That might literally be the only way to even have a basketball season of any sort. I think football is toast because there is no plan, not even attempting at a plan from anything I’ve seen. There still time to get creative for NCAA basketball, and they could do it for both men’s and women’s so there’s no question about equality.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  20. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It’s not really much fun or sporting if teams are cancelling games left and right or games are decided by a virus based on missing players. Unless this is a 1 day blip and somehow it’s clean from here on out (unlikely), the competition is already tainted.