Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

14 Marlins w/Covid-19?

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by pkaib01, Jul 27, 2020.

1. pkaib01

pkaib01 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What does this mean to our chances for football this year if MLB with all their resources cannot protect 30 professionals.

What does this mean for the MLB's 60 games season? Is this another permutation of survivor?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well that only took 3 games.
    This is the problem with a non bubble model. It will never work nearly well enough, especially in a hard hit spot like Miami. Players are out in the community and coming back to a group environment with the team. It only takes one player and they are all getting it.
    Now what do you do with the team they played the last three days?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I thought it was 4. 14? That escalated quickly.

Not good for anything really. If quarantine starts deciding games it just gets stupid, I assume they just cancel the season if that’s the path we are on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    This is why I cant see how football will work either.

• Agree Agree x 8
  5. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    The exact conversation I just had. Definitely not college football with "amateur" athletes. 85 players plus staff. Players are college kids doing college kid things. 0 chance.

• Agree Agree x 8
  6. pkaib01

pkaib01 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting that the Marlins played the Braves last Tuesday and Wednesday. Both Braves catchers are out with covid-like symptoms but negative tests. If those tests turn out to be false negatives, it could make a case for the batter's box being a vector for transmission.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    The only thing that I could see would be making the games 10-14 days apart with strict quarantine periods before/after travel. Sort of a bubble-lite system. No chance it could work right now if players can just come and go as they please. With football there are few enough games for that to be feasible. Any sport that's playing like and 40+ game season … nah.

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Crap...this after the Rays have a miracle comeback yesterday and I am excited to have sports back. :mad::(

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Marlins game today cancelled.

Crap. I don’t care about baseball (at all, though I’ve watched a few innings from the restart which was probably the most baseball I’ve watched in 30+ years).

I was hoping they could get it done, as at least that would be good news for other sports. But already with a game cancelled over COVID I expect this won’t go on much longer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    That just doesnt seem realistic with 100s (x 100s of teams) of college kids that aren't professional athletes. I dont think it happens simply for the liability aspect alone.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    My Reds actually spent money this offseason and are trying to win for the first time in forever. And sounds like they've got at least 3 guys out with Covid.

12. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    NBA is the only league really getting this right so far. MLS as well, though I don't follow the league much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. pkaib01

pkaib01 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yankees-Phillies games postponed due to the weekend Phillies Marlins series.

14. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Yeah, there's no reason to do it in amateur athletics. In theory, at least in pro sports player's interests are represented and they have negotiation power over their working conditions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    No positive tests in the MLS bubble in like 2.5 weeks. Two teams ended up dropping out, and they had to reconfigure the schedule on the fly, but they accounted for all the positive tests leading up to the games starting. But the two teams dropping out actually ended up making the groups all have 4 teams each and making the tournament more "normal" lol.

16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    It should be noted that the Miami Marlins themselves have many more cases than the entire English Premier League did for over a month and a half to finish their season.

• Informative Informative x 5
  17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Which would be concerning, it’s within 6’ obviously - but outside - and presumably those guys spread it without symptoms?

I figured spreading it on the field would be pretty rare, but inside the clubhouse and dugout I was observing they didn’t seem to have many precautions at all (some guys wearing masks, others not). It’s like they didn’t think to guard their team facilities, so now you have 14 cases just on one team.

These guys should be very low risk, I said at the beginning to play sports either you have to accept people playing while positive, or you can’t play. Because 14 day quarantines were guaranteed to determine games. I figured by having starters out of action, to have a cancel already is surprising and worse than I thought would happen at this stage.

The NBA is hoping a bubble keeps the infection out. Even that is highly unlikely to be fully successful. If it gets in at all my guess is it spreads inside the bubble like wildfire and at least some team has a similar issue as the marlins did here.

So what do the leagues do?

18. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    the bubble had worked so far for mls, they are several weeks in and have been clean. It comes down to whether the NBA players, who are far more entitled than the mls guys, do what they are supposed to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I can’t see football being confined to a bubble. Too many players, coaches, support staff, etc., per team. And then you’re looking at a 6 month lockdown period. That’s way too long to have people isolated, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    New Zealand did a full, real shutdown. As a reward, they just had a rugby game with a packed stadium because COVID is no longer a thing for them. America did a half-ass shutdown with arrogant, ignorant anti-intellectuals refusing to quarantine and wear masks. America's punishment will be no fall sports.

Oh well.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4