Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

#11 and the boys

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by shane4three, Jun 8, 2019.

1. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    4 SEC teams in Omaha says otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    We SWEPT the Holes and half the Omaha field is made up of SEC teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Never thought we were a good team this season. Pretty below-average actually. As for next year, unless Sully gets some serious pitching talent in his next class (he's got one signed), it's going to be another frustrating year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well I guess UF made FSU look silly by sweeping the Noles again this year, correct?

And based on the majority of your posts, I have a pretty good feeling you will be wrong about next year.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Technically, we want it to be a long year.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    I admit this has been a pleasantly strange year. Playing round ball in April, baseball in mid June.. heck it will be football season like next week...lol.

I could get use to this..;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    It is just a matter of time with Pearl.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    ..to win it all??

or until he has another team bbq?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I have followed Pearl since he was an assistant at Iowa. I'd put my money on something like the latter before the former. He has a lot more experience with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Hes a division 1 ncaa basketball coach so a safe bet.

Just saw something today about sanctions coming soon for handful of unnamed teams.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Ahhh, the watchful eye of the perfect and never erring NCAA—

How refreshing.....

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    What happened weeks/months ago isn’t very relative now. No one really cares. Now is relevant. Could Care less if we beat them 3 months ago and sure Sully feels the same way. It’s about what happens at the end not the beginning or middle.

You think FSU didn’t handle two good SEC teams last week?
    I’d reread my posts.
    Hopefully Arkansas will take care of business.

13. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Yes we did 3 months ago.

FSU just went 4-1 against the SEC.

14. TJtheGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Lifetime losing record against UF

15. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Of course it's relative, it's part of the contiguous season. Where's you cutoff for relative? The last game? Is UGA beating UF in football relative?
    Pretty sure I remember enjoying those games, pretty sure Nole fans have a different memory. To erase something because it doesn't fit your narrative is absurd

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Let me preface. Your extremely knowledgeable. We have a different mindset but you love the Gators like I do and know your stuff. Because I feel different doesn’t mean I don’t have my own knowledge accumulated over years and years in different capacities. I mean no disrespect (not sure the same can be said back towards my thoughts). There are several on this board that don’t “adhere” to the go along with the majority philosophy. Gray just the other day said almost the same thing I said about a topic. To say I’m disappointed about this season is an understatement but I think with some major pitching changes we could be much better ( I said could) next year.

Now back to the topic

Would you rank us ahead of them right now? No one in America would have us in the top 25 and FSU is at worse #8.

So you would take mid week wins over FSU over finishing strong and making the CWS. My perception is different than yours and that doesn’t make it absurd.

Continuous season- So you’d take the beginning and middle over a strong finish. I don’t like FSU but they got better and we didn’t. Gotta tip your cap they are better than us right now or maybe you and a few others would argue we should be ranked ahead of them?? No baseball fan would say we are better than FSU. They are in the CWS we beat em 10 weeks ago when it didn’t mean nearly as much.

You’d be shocked at how many people believe as I do. They are better in basketball and baseball right now. Gotta tip your cap. Not real worried about last year in football and btw Mullen and any good coach could care less about what happened last year. Maybe that gives you a little more insight into me. I care about the now and future. Not 3 months ago, all coaches do at high levels might examine the past to see what worked and what didn’t but they don’t walk around talking about a win even 2-3 weeks ago let alone 7 months ago.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 10:30 AM
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Agreed. Talking about this week...the now.

18. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Here's the thing......you are moving the target. I took exception you your saying the season sweep wasn't relative (and I still take exception). Now you are shifting to a different argument, that it is just less important than making Omaha. But the two things are not mutually exclusive.....the season sweep of FSU can be relative, can matter, and still be lower in stature than finishing the season in Omaha. Would I rather go to Omaha or sweep a season series? Of course I would choose Omaha. But that wasn't the debate.

Everyone was disappointed with the season, I think that's perfectly clear. But here's the thing, you seem to be making a point that the future and prospects for the program are all that really matter (at least to you). I would argue, and many non partisan experts would agree, that the UF program is still vastly superior to the FSU program. They have captured lightning in a bottle, but the second they get eliminated from the CWS that becomes the past, old news. Will it even be relevant next week? By your parameters apparently not.
    There is no question you are a good and loyal Gator fan, and knowledgeable about the team and the sport. But you also have a strong tendency to gravitate toward the negative, and IMO it skews your perspective at times. Doesn't make you wrong and me right, but I'm gonna call it like I see it.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. TJtheGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Which will be forgotten the minute they exit stage left in Omaha.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    It’s just like when the media gave ol’cottontop’s Mom at LSU all the love—when they lost, it was over.....

• Agree Agree x 3