Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

$100 million campaign to fix Jesus' image

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Oct 12, 2022.

1. sas1988

sas1988 All American

Nov 16, 2016
    Denver
    If only ALL Christians were like you the world would be so much better. It's all other religions that have people following men's interpretation of God's word/will as well. Not just Christians. No one belief system is at fault.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    I appreciate your words to Tilly, and agree with them.
    There is truth in this, but it appears to me the distortions and misrepresentations of the gospel, as it was preached and taught by Jesus in his Beatitudes and Sermon on the Mount, come from unsympathetic, judgmental people who cherry pick portions of the Bible to justify judging, threatening, and cudgeling those they deem evil or opposed to their nationalistic or religious beliefs. Too many evangelical leaders and preachers misunderstand or misrepresent words of Jesus, and have taken them out of context to further their political and prejudicial agendas. The Jesus they preach is a punishing judge, not the messiah who instructed and encouraged his followers to lay down their lives for the benefit of others, not the one who came to lead the poor and broken from chains of despair, heal the lame and give sight to the blind. The doctrines and dogmas of orthodoxy revered today are cobbled together on mistranslated portions of scripture to the point of incoherency.

Their strategy is one of vindictive punishment, returning blow for blow rather than turning the cheek and seeking reconciliation. Jesus associated and dined with the hated pariahs of his day - prostitutes and tax collectors. He was not a baker and was never called to bake a cake for a wedding between 2 homosexual individuals, but he healed the homosexual companion servant of a Roman centurion, praising the soldier for his faith, and invited a tax collector into his inner circle.

The 'Christians' leaders of today supporting Trump, calling for the death or imprisonment of the Gay population are following a perverted gospel of hate and retribution established centuries ago when the established religion held sway over kings and commoners alike, demanding conformation and obedience to the point of death. This is their legacy and what they are attempting to re-establish today.

Christianity today is not so much a way of life as it is a battleground.

Matthew 7:21-23 - Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    Is promise keepers the organization a college football coach (maybe Colorado) left coaching to lead?

4. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Yes

5. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    yep. Bill McCarthy. It's HQs in Colo Springs as is focus on the family.

6. danmanne65

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    I looked it up. He not only led it but founded it. He left the organization in 2003 to take care of his ailing wife.

7. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Yeah, I guess he left the Buffs right after one of the most, if not the most bogus, natty ever.

8. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My vote for most bogus natty was byu in 1984. They beat a 6-5 meatchicken team in the freakin holiday bowl. There were several teams that year including the Gators that would have skull dragged byu.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. danmanne65

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    More bogus than UCFs half dozen or so

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Yes. He was a founder years ago I believe.
    No idea what they do now, at the time it was about keeping promises as a man to your wife/family. Etc.

11. sas1988

sas1988 All American

Nov 16, 2016
    Denver
    Truth is that in this world Hate is what sells/gets contributions (even religious people) and motivates people much more than what Tebow does for others less fortunate. I appreciate those of you that try to adhere to the true word and give so much of yourselves without seeking a quid-pro-quo or any recognition whatsoever.

• Like Like x 1
  12. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    The last successful image campaign just made Jesus white. Based on recent tweets from right wing leaders Jesus was a badass mean guy who spent most of his time turning over tables and making people feel small using ancient social media. So… just make him a pro wrestler tweeter mean guy and he’s golden again. Basically Trump I guess.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  13. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    In the US Catholic world, the national Cathedral is the Basilica of the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington DC. I'm probably not getting the name exactly right. I'm too lazy to look it up.

It's beautiful. I go every time I am in DC although it's the other side of the Catholic political spectrum. Newt Gingrich is a prominent parishioner, which should give you some sense.

Behind the altar they have the gigantic mosaic "Christ in Glory", which is their fantasy, the risen Christ returning and exacting retribution on their enemies. This time they just KNOW He's going to be an avenging wrathful God, even if they got it wrong the first time.

We call him Rambo Christ Basilica-Fall-2021-1-1.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    In too many circles hate, hand in hand with anger and fear, are stronger motivators than love. These 3 strong negative emotions are what powered trump into the arena, underscored his success, and continue to fuel the current political climate. The sycophantic 'Christian' leaders and their followers who encouraged, endorsed and supported him are motivated not by love, but by fear and loathing, contrary to the teachings of the one they claim as their Lord and God.

When asked what is the greatest commandment Jesus replied it is to love God with all one's heart, soul and mind, and love our neighbors as we love our self. And if there be any doubt as to whom Jesus considered a 'neighbor' - I would refer those who take issue with the definition to the story of the Good Samaritan, Luke 10:25-37, paying attention to Jesus's reply when the 'expert in the law' (NIV) asked, "who is my neighbor?"
    Bible Gateway passage: Luke 10:25-37 - New King James Version

I Corinthians 13 ~ 1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

• Like Like x 3
  15. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Uncles?

download.jpg

16. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    This is a troubling image, one that most definitely "speaks a thousand words." It demonstrates how people will claim a Christ that underscores and projects their agenda or reflects their cultural heritage. On this very forum people have made claims Jesus would have been a conservative while others claim he would be a liberal. They see and perceive what they want to see.

There is a church, the Basilica of the Annunciation in Nazareth that is adorned with mosaics, and statuary donated by Catholics, Orthodox, and other Christian denominations from countries all over the world. Each piece of art reflects the ethnic heritage, facial features and complexion of the people who donated them. You can scroll through a number of pictures of these donated pieces at this link - National Mosaics in the Basilica of Annunciation - BibleWalks 500+ sites

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Thank you for the link. Absolutely beautiful, especially the mosaic from Singapore.

18. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks. I will look through it. The national shrine in DC has a lot of the same structure period inside the church they have approximately 70 mini shrines for Our Lady as the way she is viewed in different cultures.

Virtual Tour here. You can get an appreciation of Christ in Glory and its size from the initial image.

Virtual Tour - National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception

19. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    God warned us that to ignore Worldly views. Jesus isn't the one that needs an image makeover. Humanity needs the makeover. I am the first to say I haven't done everything the right way. I went to college, had a career, but never went out and evangelized. As a follower, a career should have been the last thing to do. My career got in the way of church and fellowshipping more times than I can count. I hope I at least got a few folks to come to Christ by talking to them. I know of many Christians who are missionaries full-time and on paper are considered in poverty yet they have everything they need. Nope, Jesus isn't the issue here, it's humanity that needs a makeover. It's coming sooner than most think.

20. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I assume you're talking about the final stage of the end times? If not, I apologize for assuming.

Polling I've seen suggests that a significant percentage of Americans think the world is going to end in their lifetime. I'm not sure if that's something they're hoping for or if it's more of a fear. I think people don't like the thought of everyone going on with lives after we die, so perhaps the thought of the world ending is actually comforting to many in a counter-intuitive way. I've been hearing such predictions as long as I can remember, and it seems to always be just around the corner. I guess anything is possible, but it just seems a bit narcissistic to me for people to think that the world is going to end while we were here for it. Would be interesting to see how far back those sorts of questions were polled.

• Agree Agree x 1