Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, you may notice glitches here and there. We are upgrading our servers shortly, please pardon the dust and hang in there. : ) Thanks for your patience.

100 Ford Employees Tell Management to Stop Making Cop Cars

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by chemgator, Jul 10, 2020.

1. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    No idea what this is supposed to mean.

2. littlebluelw

littlebluelw Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yours was a good suggestion. These workers...not so much. Not a fireable offense IMO but I do question their general intelligence thinking that their suggestion somehow helps to solve social injustice.

3. GatorKWM

GatorKWM VIP Member

Feb 1, 2010
    It’s an “Animal House” reference. The pledges that no one wants to talk to, sitting together on a couch.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. SCGator52

SCGator52 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    San Antonio, Tx
    Here’s a news flash to those who signed the letter and those that agree with this. You do not have to work their if you don’t agree with the product they are producing. Forcing a company to discontinue a product that has never been or never will be racist is not right. This cancel culture has gone to far and until someone steps up and says enough and they have a right to an opinion it will continue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Thank you! Shouldn’t there be a three day ban for someone not knowing an Animal House reference?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Again, if it were 100 people separately submitting the same suggestion, it probably would not have leaked. These young liberals made sure the world found out about how they were "taking a stand" against police oppression, even though the suggestion was idiotic. Now the company has to respond publicly to the idiotic suggestion, and be careful to do so in a way that doesn't offend black people, millennials hyped up on their protest power, or any other potential customers. There is no question that this "suggestion" will cost Ford sales; the question is how many?

Ford will continue to struggle not because of how they handle their suggestion program--they will continue to struggle because they don't know how to make a quality vehicle. A good company does not need a suggestion program to get employees to make suggestions. They just need management to listen once in a while.

7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I never mentioned firing them, that was someone else. But trying to shame your employer is not very endearing to the management.

8. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    If you have 100 suggestions it very well could have leaked—a 100+ people all independently coming to the same conclusion is quite a bit more powerful than passing around a letter and getting 100 people to sign it. All it would take is someone to know about those suggestions. Which again, could be many people both for and against, not just those darn kids.

Bottom line is if the company did not want suggestions, it shouldn’t have asked for them. To fire people for responding to your prompt and making an (entirely predictable) suggestion you don’t like is idiotic and not how well run companies operate.

Ford’s struggles relate to its lack of vision, not its quality. They make fine trucks and police vehicles. There is a reason the F150 has sold so well. But they have no idea how to move beyond those sectors. They are way behind on electrics and self driving, don’t know how to make a car anyone wants, and haven’t innovated anything novel for years. They are stuck in the past.

9. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    My son’s last two vehicles were Fords. A truck and an SUV. He Liked both and had no issues with either. He still has the SUV. I don’t think their trucks and SUVs are as bad as you say.

10. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    I has a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (now the RS) and that twin turbo SUV would fly, had it chipped and it put out over 425HP. Great on gas too. Traded it for a F150 with the same EcoBoost engine but it not as nice a ride as in the Sport was. Both were problem free for over 150,000 miles (100,000 - sport, 50,000 to date on the F150)

11. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Ever heard of the “Back-up Assist feature”?

Best feature that has come out in a pickup truck in 25 years.

Anyone can now back up to a 40’ trailer by just turning a dial.

The campground that I’m staying in is probably 75% Fords and the rest Dodge Rams.

Ford knows their market - some F350 dually’s Price out close to 100k fully loaded.

12. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    What surprises me the most is we find only 100 employees who watch CNN.

13. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    So, Ford asks its employees for suggestions. About 1/10 of 1 percent of its employees suggest the company reconsider building police cars. The suggestions were made, in Ford's words, in a 'respectful' and 'constructive' manner.
    Among the conservative reaction here: "Fire them!" "They embarrassed management" "Google isn't nice to conservatives!"
    Elsewhere, conservatives turned the 'respectful' suggestion into a demand.
    That's what the rightwing Blaze website did:
    After Ford employees demanded the company stop making police vehicles, the CEO clapped black with logic, common sense
    And that's Greg Gutfield told his viewers on Fox: "They demanded Ford stop!" and that the CEO told them to "get lost!"
    Both false, of course.

I should be surprised, but I'm not.

• Like Like x 1
  14. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I will have to see a video of someone "clapping black" before I decide whether it is false or not. If the CEO clapped a black person in an unwelcome manner, I would think this would be very bad for Ford, especially if he had named his hands "Logic" and "Common Sense".

I didn't see anything false about either claim. Neither claimed or insinuated that all Ford employees submitted this foolish idea, just that some Ford employees did. And the way they submitted their suggestion (and leaked it to the press) could certainly be indicative of a demand. Gutfeld was, of course, using creative license when he interpreted the CEO response (which so far appears to be a "no") as "get lost". The liberal media are also not above using creative license in describing someone's response in a similar manner. So my FACTCHECK comes back as "True, when allowing for creative license".

Of course Ford will claim publicly that the suggestions were made in a "respectful and constructive manner". They don't want to make this P.R. debacle any worse by saying what they really think about these young jackasses. Ford can't afford to go on record as bashing social justice warriors, lest they lose all the business of millennials.

Ford Motor Company jobs are not government jobs. They are private sector jobs. In a right-to-work state like Florida, you can be fired at any time and for (almost) any reason. Their jobs may be more secure in a place like Michigan, but maybe not. And statements about company policy that get "leaked" to the global media are a good way to get fired. Especially on a hot button issue like social justice. Ford probably will not fire any of them for this, but you can bet that each one of them has a black mark next their name on their personnel file, and it won't get to three strikes before they are out. And they will most likely be counseled by their bosses why they should not do this again.

15. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Nor do the majority of cops do damage to people. We need cops and cops need cars. I'm all about BLM but no sense does this make.

• Agree Agree x 1