Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

100 Ford Employees Tell Management to Stop Making Cop Cars

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by chemgator, Jul 10, 2020.

1. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Why? Good question and I’ll offer a possible answer:

If these 100 outspoken employees (likely progressives) were conservatives at Google or Twitter or almost any giant tech firm and they voiced their opinion they would be cancelled from within and likely fired or asked to leave. I think we’ve seen proof of that already with some conservatives.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. dynogator

dynogator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Making cars for the police doesn't make you complicit in police brutality, that's the dumbest thing I've heard today. I know Ford asked for employee input, but they probably didn't expect the suggestion that they cancel a major contract to somehow strike a blow at racial inequality.

Foolishness. Some people need to regain their grip on common sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    85,000 is the number of Ford employees in the US. Ford employs around 200,000 worldwide.

By the way, I disagree with the position. I have absolutely no problem with Ford manufacturing police cars although Fiat-Chrysler would probably be pleased if Ford stopped making police cars considering that the Dodge Charger Interceptor would fill the void although in reality police cars represent a very small percentage of total output for both companies.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  4. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When they went public with it, they stepped over the line. Ford did not ask them to send out their suggestions to the world for comment. And sending in suggestions as a group has a hint of it being a demand, not a suggestion. If 100 different people sent in the same suggestion, it would carry a different meaning than one suggestion signed by 100 people. I'm sure Ford will learn their lesson, even if they don't fire these people: don't ask for suggestions.

5. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    Probably not, but Ford could use some radical thinking. Resting on their laurels with police cars and F-150s has left them well behind the eight ball. Yesterday Tesla’s market cap went up by more than the entire value of Ford. The whole company. And that was just a typical Friday.

Ford has been on a 20 year decline because in large part because of its unwillingness to reconsider its core business model. I’m not saying that SJW signaling is going to turn them around, but there is perhaps a kernel of wisdom in what at first seems absurd.

6. PerSeGator

Jun 14, 2014
    “They” didn’t go public with it. It leaked. And that leak may have come from anyone who had access to the letter, not just the people who signed it. Heck, it might have been a hard core Trump fan angry that he was asked to sign a piece of “SJW nonsense.”

As for group vs individual suggestions, did Ford specify that they only wanted the latter?

If the lesson Ford learns from this is to not solicit suggestions, or to punish those who give them upon request, I expect that the company will continue to struggle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not every suggestion needs to be acted on or carried out. Ford should address the suggestion, whether they take it or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    One of the restaurant chains I worked for had a forum seeking employee suggestions. I submitted many ideas I thought would be beneficial. One was to do away with plastic cups and give out to go cups exclusively since most people preferred those anyways. Glad I didn’t get fired for that...

9. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Employee suggestions sometimes work. I once ha d a friend that worked on the assembly line at a new Toyota engine plant. He suggested that they move his table about 2 feet closer to the line and said he would save so many steps per day and be more productive. They moved the table and gave him a 5k bonus for his suggestion. The jet ski he bought with that money was a beauty.

• Like Like x 6
  10. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't see why in the world management would be embarrassed. As others have pointed out, management asked for employees' suggestions and opinions and they got some, apparently done very respectfully.
    It sounds like both sides did exactly what they should do in a well-run company,

Ford employees ask if company should stop building police vehicles

11. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    First of all, I'm guessing you have no knowledge of how things are really done at Google or Twitter. If you do, please elaborate.
    Beyond that, I suspect Ford's management is a little more reasoned than "Well, Google would fire conservatives, so I guess we better fire liberals."
    I imagine the company is a little more level headed than that.

12. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Fired by Google, a Republican Engineer Hits Back: ‘There’s Been a Lot of Bullying’

Lawsuit Alleging Anti-Conservative Bias at Google Ends Quietly

And as I said in a previous post - we never know the outcomes as they all have NDA as part of their cashing in the settlements

13. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Agree. Fiat-Chrysler still needs all the help they can get.

Though I do absolutely love the 300 with a V8. Always ask for it when I am renting.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The cop car by itself does no damage to people... It's the drivers as someone else pointed out.

If these 100 employees don't want to make cars then let them make ventilators. That's neutral product worthy of their skills.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    That’s probably because all of those FSU alumni that you were managing had a difficult time counting cups on a stack that all looked the same

16. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Legend

Feb 6, 2020
    I bet these 100 people assemble the Ford hybrid.

18. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    That’s why you don’t fire them. You put them on the couch with Muhammad, Jugdesh, and Sidney!

19. dynogator

dynogator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I like this meme. :)

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. PerSeGator

Jun 14, 2014
    Whether their suggestion is one Ford should follow is an entirely different question than whether the employees should be fired for making it.