Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

10 Things that will shock you about Minnesota

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by gatorknights, Apr 25, 2019.

1. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Dude pretty much nails it. He clearly did his homework when putting this together.

The North Shore sure is beautiful, too bad there is this thing called winter. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Not that I am an expert, I believe Minnesota and the region can be best described as "July and winter." Kind of the exact opposite of middle/south Florida, which has February and summer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Another one is there are two seasons in MN. Winter and Road Construction.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    @gatorknights ~ You've been in Florida a good many years. Have you retained your accent? The disappearance of regional accents saddens me. Don't care what they are - Maine, Boston, New Yawk, Joisey, midwest, southern, Cajun, whatever - I love hearing them.

When Trucker and I left Florida the first time in June, 1970 we moved to Wilmington, Delaware and I remember people there commenting on my southern accent. When we went back to Florida for Thanksgiving that year my mother's next door neighbor told me I sounded like a "Yankee."

• Like Like x 2
  5. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    When I got down here for college, the locals made fun of my Minnesoooota accent. I went up for a buddy's wedding that summer, six months after being here, and they were giving me grief about my "southern" accent. :D

I can fake the MN accent, but I tend to sound more like my avatar and not so much like the locals. It's really a hard accent to fake. And, most of the MN folks get indignant and feel insulted if you point out their accent. I'm with you, I love the different accents we have, especially in places like Orlando and Gainesville (well, the university community anyway) where so many people are from somewhere else. My first marriage was into a southern family from Georgia, and my father-in-law had the best southern accent I've ever heard. "Cut own thu ere' , I's burnin up!" Dude was awesome.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    ^dang, I had to read that last line a few times before I figured it out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I had quite the learning curve to battle, that's for sure. When we went to visit mamma an 'em up air in Jawja, it was full immersion in that language known as Southernese. It was really cool, I loved it.

8. altalias

altalias GC Legend

Aug 13, 2008
    A few years ago I was in the Brainerd Lakes area at the beginning of July and it was in the 40s. That is winter by my Florida standards.

I bought a sweat shirt and told the clerk to go ahead and laugh I am from Florida and I am cold. She said she was cold too. I asked her how she survived the winters if she was cold at 40 degrees an she said she puts on lots and lots of clothes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The most "shocking" thing to me was how clean it is... I love clean cities, and all American cities should be that clean, IMHO. That... and no liqueur being sold on Sundays is shocking. :eek::D

• Like Like x 3
  10. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    And they think no booze sales on Sundays cuts down on drinking.

[​IMG]

It just adds to traffic to the local muni liquor store on Friday and Saturday nights to stock up for the weekend.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I think you meant “momanem”

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    That's what first hit me about Minneapolis. Was there for a week and a half in December. As cold as it was, I was less exposed to the cold because of the ease of commuting, parking and getting around downtown without going outside. Minneapolis is one of my favorite cities in the US. IMHO, Florida can't touch Minnesota for culture output.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Downtown MPLS has a skyway system that connects buildings via a second floor enclosed and weather controlled walkways. Kinda like the ones at airports where you go from the main terminal out to the gate. If you had an apartment or condo along the skyway system, you never have to go outside nor need a car. It creeped me out because I can't imagine not going outside, even up there in the winter.

Your Guide to Navigating the Minneapolis Skyway System

14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Thanks for sharing this, @gatorknights. Having lived most of my life in FL, the transition to northern MN has been interesting. I agree with the guy's suggestions, but #9 is no longer true throughout the state, only in certain counties. We can buy booze in Duluth on Sunday.
    He should have subbed in the shocking lack of diversity. That has its ups and downs. We experience diversity on campus, but outside the cities and college campuses, MN is by-and-large lily white Scandinavian culture. Not that they do not recognize, support, or celebrate diversity. They do. Just not alot of cultural diversity up here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    When I was a kid, if you weren't Swedish, Norwegian, from Denmark or German, you were a minority. :) If we wanted to actually see a black dude, you had to go to a Twins or Vikings game. They're out there on the field. Slight exaggeration I know, but it seemed like that. My how things have changed in suburbia, but get out on the farms, and there is essentially no diversity. Not because minorities are not welcome, they sure as heck are. My explanation was "if you didn't have to live there, would you really choose farm country?'

• Like Like x 1
  16. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    My hometown, Eden Prairie is on the list. As Jeff Howell says, "I ain't saying I'm the baddest, but I'm in the top three". Minnetonka, Edina and Chanhassen (Paisley Park) are in there too. Yah fer sherr u betcha

• Like Like x 1
  17. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Duluth is pretty good too. And their hockey team kicks a$$.

• Like Like x 1
  18. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Minnesota water even in July is too cold for me but I do like the people

Worked with engineers from 3M on one of their prototypes

Good people

But I refuse to live anyplace that can’t grow mango

19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN