Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

10 games left. We need to go 7-3...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ekfornam, Feb 2, 2019.

1. ekfornam

ekfornam Junior

Oct 10, 2017
    I've been saying this is an NIT team for several weeks now, but the bubble has been surprisingly weak this year, so maybe there's still a chance for us.

Forgetting the SEC Tournament for now, 7-3 gets us to 19-12 which I *think* might be enough to get us into the big dance. I think we can all agree 18-13 isn't getting us in, not with zero quality wins. So assuming 19-12, that means we need to go 7-3 in the final 10. Where do we get those 7 wins? Here are our final 10 games:

@ Auburn
    @ #1 Tennessee
    Home vs Vandy
    @ Alabama
    @ #19 LSU
    Home vs Mizzou
    @ Vandy
    Home vs UGA
    Home vs #19 LSU
    @ #7 Kentucky

I think we get wins in home games vs Vandy, Mizzou, and UGA, and then beat Vandy on the road. That's only 4 wins. IF we can somehow beat #19 LSU at home and Alabama on the road, that still only gets us to 6 wins. The rest I just don't see us having a chance.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. 1bobcat

1bobcat GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This team had NIT written on them in November. It will be an amazing job if they can make the NCAA tournament.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I called 8-4 in the last thread like this. We are on pace for my prediction. But we NEED that Auburn game badly.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Vandy X2
    Mizzou
    UGA
    Bama
    Auburn
    Split with LSU
    Then since we will have no bye we can steal a win or two in the SECT

5. garygator27

garygator27 Senior

Mar 28, 2017
    I think we finish 5-5. Maybe get one in the SEC tourney, and head to the NIT. Hopefully they can exceed my expectations at this point.

6. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    What sucks is I think we are a legit NCAA team. The only game we weren't competitive in was FSU. Even against Tenn and UK, where the final score looked bad we were in it the entire game. We're one of the 64 best teams in D1. But, as the saying goes, you are what your record says you are.

If we can steal one of the next two were still alive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. gogators73

gogators73 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Don’t see 7. Maybe 5.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    We aren’t going to the NCAA tournament. NIT or bust at this point. Offense that is as bad as this doesn’t deserve the big dance. This season can’t end fast enough.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. ekfornam

ekfornam Junior

Oct 10, 2017
    Auburn is really, really strong at home. I am just not seeing a W there.

10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Pretty much.

But I think at this point it's almost even odds that we miss the NIT (going 3-7) then go 7-3 or better.

My prediction would be 5-5, and the consensus seems to be that is not good enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I don't have the schedule in front of me, Tilly, but I recall starting that thread and considering eight games winnable. Auburn, though, was not one of them. There are still plenty of wins out there for this team, but I agree with those who consider this an NIT team. And that might not be such a bad thing for these guys. I'd love to see Hayes hoist a trophy in MSG (assuming they still host the NIT four in NYC).

12. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    @ Auburn Win 13-9 (5-4)

@ #1 Tennessee Loss 13-10 (5-5)

Home vs Vandy Win 14-10 (6-5)

@ Alabama Loss 14-11 (6-6)

@ #19 LSU Loss 14-12 (6-7)

Home vs Mizzou Win 15-12 (7-7)

@ Vandy Win 16-12 (8-7)

Home vs UGA Win 17-12 (9-7)

Home vs #19 LSU Win 18-12 (10-7)

@ #7 Kentucky Loss 18-13 (10-8)

1-1 in the SEC tournament would get us to 19-14 which I think might be good enough to get us in as a play-in team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Nah. This is a sub par power 5 team w/ zero post game and a badly coached offense overall. I get that the offensive struggles in some way may have been unexpected even from White, but we waste so much clock and take so many bad shots that obviously some of it has to go back to the coaches...there's just a look of general confusion on offense. Plus the lack of a post isn't exactly something that just hit us out of the blue just this year...

Maybe the fat lady hasn't had her official performance yet, but she's warming up. Basically these next two games are must win, but odds are we go 0-2, and even splitting them only keeps us on the bubble radar. Not exactly where I thought this team would be.

Last year was only just slightly below expectations, last year did have some much higher moments though. It's disappointing we seem to have taken a substantial step back. Of course a 4 or 5 game win streak can still change that. But this team has shown little indication of being able to chain quality games together, they've only shown ability to get hot for 1 game or 1 half at a time. This is not a winning formula imo.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    It seems we have one of these threads after every game. 19 is the magic #. There is no way we get to 19 in regular season. I'm talking 0% chance. We're looking at having to win at least a game, probably 2 in SEC tourney. Looking at our history in SEC tourney, odds won't be good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. returntono1

returntono1 Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Orlando
    Very little chance. Plan for next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    0% huh?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Agator88

Agator88 All American

Oct 7, 2014
    You can't drop any of those 4 games against Mizz, Vandy, and UGA. Not sure how anyone else's schedule breaks down, but I'm not a believer in Auburn and I think our D gives them problems, can we finish on the road? Bama is a team we can beat, defensive battle and we will have a chance to win late. I thought UK was peaking at the right time, and we somehow were in that game until the end. 6-4 will get us to 18-13, I think we would then need at least 2 tourney wins.

Last year Syracuse got in, the play in game vs ASU at 19-12 with a conference record of 8-10. They had no great wins, 1 vs ranked opponents and that was 23 Clemson. They only won 1 conference tourney game, then lost the 2nd. 20-13 overall and their non conference was one of the worst I have ever seen.

Speaking of Arizona state 20-10 reg season record, 8-10 in conference record, horrible Pac-12. Lost first game of conf tourney and they got in the play in game as well.

I guess what I'm saying is, anything is possible.

18. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Yup! Zero.

19. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    That would be about as good as we could hope for and, given the overall strength of the SEC, should get us into the NCAAT, fingers crossed. Bubble teams will always have to sweat it out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    We may need to win the SEC-T for an assured spot!

We show we can play with anyone (e.g. first half vs UK); we show we can lose to anyone (e.g 2nd half vs UK!)

Likely outcome over next 10 is 5-5, IMO.

But, gators do have the opportunity to play their way in...or WIN their way in!

• Agree Agree x 1