Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

10 days between games is a long time

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Dec 11, 2019.

1. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I’m ready for the press too. Wouldn’t mind seeing a nice mix of different looks.

Always think the pre-conference schedule is a chance to try a lot of different stuff: to see what we fail at & see what we are competent doing.

My thoughts on the O. Push fast and hard initially. Look for transition buckets. If not there: AN to run the half court O. Exactly what @GatorPlanet posted.

• Like Like x 1
  2. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Pushing the ball up the floor with Nembhard? Sounds like an unrealistic idea there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Our halfcourt offense is atrocious.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    I know this is an exercise in fantasy, but does anyone know how much practice time is allowed during these 10 days? I assume there are finals and whatnot that are eating up an inordinate amount of non b-ball time.

5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    No.
    I’ve actually seen us get better shots lately.
    Gotta make some of em.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    1. Better shot selection - specifically for a few of the guys. White needs to pull them immediately if this happens.
    a. KB should not ever shoot 3's unless it's in the flow of the offense or shot clock winding down. His 3-point attempts against Butler were killers as no one under the basket to rebound and easy transition buckets going the other way.
    b. Bassett should never shoot 3's unless shot clock winding down.
    c. S. Lewis must stop with the turn-around and taking other difficult shots. These shots are not even close. He needs to play the way Casey Prather did his Senior season and if a 3-pt is open in the flow of the offense than take it.

2. Line-up decisions:
    a. Payne cannot be the only big in the game as this was a disaster vs Butler as he's not ready for this roll yet. Only play him with KB or Bassett.
    b. Lots more Mann. To me he's the top offensive threat and he needs to play more. Still baffled why MW didn't continue to play him vs Bulter when he was on a roll.
    c. Nembhard playing off the ball, not at pg. Team plays faster this way and AN seems to have played really well when at the 2 or 3.
    d. Mann and Locke in at the same time. I think they're the 2 best 3-pt shooters on the team so would love to put pressure on the other team by spacing them out.

3. Push the ball off turnovers and missed shots. To me this has been MW's biggest deficiency as the HC of Florida. I have seen numerous times this year where he slowed us down on a potential fast break. Have no idea why, but he has to stop doing this.

4. Moving without the ball. Against Miami and Xavier, thought we turned the corner but once again this was the theme over the last 2 games.

5. Learn how to pass the ball into the post and establish down low.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Smarter play (good passes, shot selection)

• Like Like x 1
  8. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    So far it seems to me that MW aka WM wants to slow down the game and allow his D to make more stops while the O makes just enough baskets to win. He has yet YET to run any press. Our O is so methodical and slow it's horrid.
    There is a great piece written about the BB offense, which for me helped explain a lot. So what I would like to see:
    1. We have to improve on D, last game was really bad.
    2. Press, using Mann and our other guard. With a deep bench we can wear out the other team.
    3. DD O with these two guards.
    4. Princeton O when Nemhard is in

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. g8trdave

g8trdave It's Great to Be a Florida Gator!!! VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lawrenceville, GA
    They were taking finals, so don't expect too much right now. They'll be working much more between now and the SEC schedule.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    No standing around.
    No jumping to make blocks. Let the help do that.
    No losing your guy on the weak side.
    Practice shooting, practice more shooting and continue until it's all muscle memory. No more weights except the weight of the ball.

11. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    not to make excuses but our schedule early on is ridiculous with regards to length between games… Seven days between games is a long time and then 10 days???

any coach would tell you it’s extremely hard to establish a rhythm and build chemistry when all you do is practice and barely play. We all know academics plays some role with classes, finals, etc But would have thought it would have been easy to have a home game here or they’re mixed in these huge layoffs

12. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Agree with you, but when you play two games in three weeks it’s not easy… Scheduling a home game here or there in between the seven day and 10 day layoff makes perfect sense.

13. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    Hope to see some improvement.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Our only quality win to-date loses some luster as Xavier gets beat by an awful Wake Forest team. Utah St. next Saturday is looking more and more like a must-win for the OOC profile.