Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

10 days between games is a long time

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Dec 11, 2019.

1. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I'm jonesing for another game but I do hope all of this time off will pay dividends. With that in mind, what is the one thing you would like most to see change is you had the ability to do so?

Faster tempo?
    Different sets?
    Different lineups?
    ?????????

If you choose to respond let's try to keep it positive. There has been plenty of time to vent about White since the last game. We have some good bb minds on here so it would be nice if you fleshed out your answer.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Faster tempo
    Better shooting

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    By better shooting do you mean better shot selection? Remember this is within your power to control to an extent?

4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Faster tempo.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    1. More ball movement - in a way that can speed things up, make the D work harder and open up lanes which will lead to better shots
    2. Faster play recognition - get the ball across mid court faster and into whatever play is called
    3. Faster tempo - can help but depends on the D and how fast they react, either way, it puts more pressure on the D
    4. More clear outs for Blackshear, Johnson and/or Lewis - Blackshear is a given and Johnson has proven this ability and Lewis needs more chances to develop his drives
    5. Ball out of bounds plays below the basket - where are all the great opportunities we are used to? This young team is having problems learning new ideas

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatorgeezer

gatorgeezer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    offensive flow, improved foul shooting

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Faster tempo.
    Ques or Scottie handling the ball more.
    Let Andrew start the second half if we have a lead.

8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    The downtime has been good for my neuroticism.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Definitely a faster tempo. I'd have them watch 8 hours of NBA teams that are masters at getting the ball up the court in a hurry, both on missed and made shots. Work outlet man drills. The goal: no less than 5 seconds to get up the court. How? Passing. If it's someone like Ques or Scottie they can use foot speed, but passing is always faster than running.
    I rewatched the '06 and '07 NC games again. One thing that stood out was 1. how fast we played 2. how much we passed the ball. I'd even spend a day watching that team. Heck, anything to show them how it should be done.

This team needs some serious work in halfcourt sets, but if we can generate ANY points in transition, we won't need to be so reliant on the halfcourt offense...and missed/made 3s.

1. On D: Press
    2. On O: Transition

That's where I would spend a chunk of my time if I was White and staff

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    and my debilitating anxiety

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Don't run any plays next game. Play it like it's a pickup game and tell them they're in control. Mike White should only direct the inbound plays and defensive sets. Our guys are wound up so tight offensively that their creativity has been drained and they're not having fun. If you're having fun, shots become much easier because you're not overthinking.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Even if we didn’t shoot great, I would be happy to see a faster pace game. Fast breaks at every opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Great post! Welll said! Won't happen! (hope I'm wrong)

14. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Hit their early shots!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. mogator1

mogator1 Premium Member

Feb 8, 2019
    1) I would install a full court man press with traps. I would start the game with this defense and start Mann, Lewis, KJ, Payne, and Blackshear. The whole purpose for this is to establish pace. Even if the press is broken and we give up quick baskets occasionally, we should be able to quickly counter by playing up tempo offense and we have the athletes on the floor to score in transition. And we also should make some steals and convert some quick scores off Turnovers. I would play this for the first 5 minutes or longer, depending on success.
    2) I would also install more sets to run with Team 2. This team would consist of AN, Locke, KJ, Scottie, and KB. This "team" would not press, play more of a grind out, half court game concentrating on more screening, off-ball movement, and spacing on offense, complemented with specific sets that are installed. Even though this team would not play up-tempo, the goal would be to run the sets efficiently and get a "good shot" up as quickly as possible. This team would play for the next 5 minutes or longer, depending on success.
    3) Depending on the opponent, foul trouble, player performance on any given night, etc. I would rotate the subs in for the balance of the half. And I would play either "team" that was the most successful that night for the balance of the half. And we can switch to a 1-3-1 trap or pick up at half court instead of full, to throw in some wrinkles to keep the opponent off balance.
    4) Rinse and repeat for second half, only sticking longer with the successful approach.

With the athletes on this team, we have to play faster to maximize our talent to give us a competitive advantage. By slowing to a snails pace, we are neutralizing our biggest advantage.

• Creative Creative x 1
  16. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

Roll the ball out and say “sic em” ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Absolutely. Get this team playing with fire, passion and fun. Get them out of their heads. They're overthinking everything, but in the end it's just basketball - a game these kids have been playing all their lives.

18. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    No suggestions. I just wonder if the 10 days off will hurt us. I was actually encouraged by our 3 games in 4 days of tournament play. I've been a bit frustrated since (although I haven't responded on here, since our last game, to what I still see as a lot of negative overreaction on these boards).

So, I started to wonder if this team just doesn't react well to having a lot of time off between games. Maybe they do better playing games on a regular basis.

For our perspective, it might be better to watch some of the games the 04's lost. I still recall posters on here claiming the team just didn't have what it took after some losses. The team had lost their fire, etc. And, this was after they'd already won a national championship! :eek::cool:

(...and, no, I'm not comparing this team to the 04's. :rolleyes: )

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Street ball, which is exactly what people here have been complaining about. I suggest pushing the ball up the floor as fast as we can looking for the gimme basket. If it's not there, get into a halfcourt set and run some sort of motion offense, letting Andrew do what he's best at, passing the ball. He needs to work a pick-and-roll with Blackshear, or draw attention and then find the open jump shooter. When our young guys don't have a plan, they stand around looking at each other and wondering what to do. And we end up taking bad shots.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I also agree with MoGator on the full-court press. Do it. Even if we end up giving up a few easy buckets, it speeds the game up and gets you into the running mindset.

• Like Like x 1