Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

10/17 & 18 Practice notes

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Oct 17, 2018.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Still No updated roster :(
    Orange wins again, Blue ran a lap around the field.
    Langworthy is ready to go,at the plate led off and hit the first pitch on the nose,he struck out late in the game and pitched the last inning, walked 2 and allowed 1 hit, had an error in right that allowed a run, Kirby McMullen pitched an inning 6 singles and 4 runs, less than stellar base running cost Blue at least 2 more runs.
    Nelly looked good, slapped one double to left, let one get by him in right but made good contact a couple of times, Baker was sharp in Center and looked pretty solid at the plate. Reese at SS made one error but was otherwise ok. 3rd sacker cut in front of the SS and made a nice pick up and throw to first.

Other than the 2 bad innings by Kirby & Austin the guys pitching looked pretty good. The batting stats are pretty meaningless since they don't strictly follow the order (they told one player to bunt, he did and was out so they let him bat again and hit away, another time hitter flied outand led off next inning, its practice and they are working on stuff so it makes perfect sense just not easy to follow, btw didzi mention no updated roster :)

Don't remember seeing Dalton and made no note of #16?

Finn had a good game, shagging foul balls with the guys in uniform who moved into stands when the BP, Stretching, bunt practice etc were done.

Best I could do without a complete roster.... probably heading over tomorrow, scrimmge posted for 3.30 practice at 2.30

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. nattygator

nattygator Recruit

Oct 14, 2017
    I have a picture of the roster and can send it to you if you want.

3. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lot of times guys have a class or lab and are late to practice some days in the fall. Thy have to get in stuff in fall since there is no flexibility in the spring. Considering Dalton is upper-class that wouldn't surprise me in his case. Trying to get needed classes for graduation.
    Or he just missed lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. kgator27

kgator27 Sophomore

Jun 30, 2018
    Seen a couple practices. My positive takes:
    Chris Armstrong (#34) gonna be a FREAK
    Austin Langworthy is dialed in
    Same for Nelly. Same for Dalton.
    Butler looked fresh on the hill
    Hunter Ruth allowed 1 hit in 4 inn I saw P
    Corey Acton (22) looks solid
    Brady McConnell (now #13) lookin' smoooooth IF
    Fr. P's Pogue (20), Luethje (17) and Scott (14) will contribute on bump
    Miozzi solid at C (#5) "may" allow Brady to fill void at 3B.
    Its Fall so no negatives

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  5. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Well the bats came to play today and Blue got to watch Orange run at the end. No Sign of Sully or Finn. But did have a @GatorLurker sighting.
    Starting on the mound Dyson and Hunter McMullen
    Acton led off for the Blue and squibbed one to Dyson, only time they got him out today, 2 doubles and a Homer plus made some sharp plays at third.
    Nellie was upper cutting all day and finally hit one out in the last frame. Making good swings just warning trach power until the end.
    Armstrong trippled, Jordan Butler hit the ball well twice, out trying to stretch a long single,
    Going to need some work on turning the 6-4-3, twice the SS bobbled a perfectly hit groundball and another the 2nd baseman over threw 1st after making a good turn.
    Baker threw the last 2 innings for Orange and gave up the homers by Acton and Nellie.
    2 guys in the crowd struck me as possible scouts, based on their familiarity with the staff, video guy and interest in watching the live video and apparently charting pitch speed, they moved out of the sun and away from the video when Dyson and McMullen completed their 2 innings.
    Lang~Worthy was 1 - 4 with a single
    With one exception of one bobble/drop outfielders played pretty well. Lots of speed and decent or better throwing.
    Lurker may add thoughts on what he saw, I got an updated roster :) helped a lot
    if you are near enough to come up the work outs are fun to watch, lots of in game coaching and the interaction between the guys playing and pitchers not scheduled to throw sitting right behind home plate is entertaining, there is nothing else in sports like baseball bench jockeying, these guys may never make it beyond college ball but they are major league ready comedians (and the love their own work)
    Dalton was dressed but did not play or I missed it

• Like Like x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thank you all for the time you put into these reports. It's like manna from heaven for this info starved Gator baseball fan.

Wow! Frosh infielder Cory Acton, a noted batter, goes 3/4 with 2 doubles and a home run. Then you say he looked good at the key 3rd base position. Another post had frosh Pena looking good there. If one of these guys sews up 3rd with Brady McConnell said to be sharp at SS it goes a long way towards addressing infield concerns - one of our most pressing pre-season questions.

Acton's bat, along with fellow frosh Kendrick Calilou's production, helps provide a remedy to those losses we face in top hitters of ours going pro.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gatorfan5220

Apr 3, 2007
    What impressed you about Armstrong? He's a very interesting Frosh.[/QUOTE]

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This team is looking to be deeper in the everyday lineup than UF has been in a while. Lots of it is unproven talent, but I like Sully having a lot of options and ability to play matchups or go with the hot stick.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    A healthy McConnell who plays up to his high school billing goes a loooooooong way toward answering some questions.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. kgator27

kgator27 Sophomore

Jun 30, 2018
    [/QUOTE]
    - 6'4" 215 frame
    - Can play any position on the field. Any.
    - Was ambidextrous, but word spreading he hurt his left arm, so scratch that. Can/will still play RH.
    - Quick hands and power. Saw BP round he hit one half way up the light pole in RF. That's about 20' over the scoreboard. Hit the light pole again the next round.
    - Cannon for an arm, PG has him up to 91.
    - Dad is Jack Armstrong who - for those who don't know - P'd in Bigs for +/- 10 years.
    - 2 Brothers P'd for Vandy and S. Carolina.
    - Hasn't exactly torn it up in scrimmages yet (sounds like he got ahold of one yesterday) but you get glimpses of what's coming.
    - That body, those skills and that lineage... :ninja3:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. kgator27

kgator27 Sophomore

Jun 30, 2018
    Could not agree more. Started a thread a while back about the 2016 (Jr) and 2017 (Soph) recruiting classes having exactly 1 infielder total still on the roster, and that would be Brady. One would think UF would have 2-3 solid SS lined up and waiting to take over. Thank goodness for Reese sticking around and hoping Brady is 100 or it would be all Freshman.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  12. gatorfan5220

Apr 3, 2007
    - 6'4" 215 frame
    - Can play any position on the field. Any.
    - Was ambidextrous, but word spreading he hurt his left arm, so scratch that. Can/will still play RH.
    - Quick hands and power. Saw BP round he hit one half way up the light pole in RF. That's about 20' over the scoreboard. Hit the light pole again the next round.
    - Cannon for an arm, PG has him up to 91.
    - Dad is Jack Armstrong who - for those who don't know - P'd in Bigs for +/- 10 years.
    - 2 Brothers P'd for Vandy and S. Carolina.
    - Hasn't exactly torn it up in scrimmages yet (sounds like he got ahold of one yesterday) but you get glimpses of what's coming.
    - That body, those skills and that lineage... :ninja3:[/QUOTE]

Great job doing research on Armstrong. Trying out a 6-4 guy at first certainly makes sense. We could always use another power hitter.

Both he and fellow frosh Pena were considered tossups at either infield or pitcher. We're fine on the mound it seems.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Who’s been playing 3rd? That’s another critical position to fill.

So, will Nellie likely be in RF this season? Or back at DH?

14. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Acton at 3rd, hard to say about OF just yet

• Like Like x 1
  15. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I told @GatorLurker after Thursday practice I felt like I was back as an 8 yr old keeping score on the radio or in Jr High & HS writing baseball reports for the local paper, I guess what comes around goes round is true for me

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Good point. Shiflett was destined to be an outfielder. The one I actually thought would be a good college Ss or 2b was ciccarello. Super smooth with some pop.