Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

0-5 and pondering the future

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by BoliviaGator, Sep 16, 2018 at 4:44 AM.

1. BoliviaGator

BoliviaGator Senior

Sep 22, 2014
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Collective record of our first two choices as head coach....Chip Kelly and Scott Frost.

They are scuffling along. I think both are a little bit on the arrogant side, though I could be wrong about Frost.

I don't think Kelly will ever have UCLA winning like he did at Oregon. He won't be any better than Jim Mora IMO. His ego is such that he thinks he can take the equivalent of West Coast Pitt and win big. He's sadly mistaken.

Nebraska is one of the toughest jobs in the country (along with Tennessee, albeit for the different reasons). Nebraska was the perfect machine in the 1990s when they had legions of interior linemen from the Midwest, coupled with all those skill players from the coasts. Roster limitations slew the husker beast, but not the expectations...to churn out Tom Osborne-esque behemoths.

To make matters worse, they're in the Big 10. Nebraska-Minnesota just doesn't have the same appeal as those old Big 12 matchups. What 5-star recruit from Texas wants to play Northwestern or Purdue? I guess the counter-argument is that they lost their starting quarterback and also the fact that Frost won big at Central Florida (hardly a titillating program).

To be fair, we're not an 'easy' program either...with our Bama-like expectations and relatively little history to back it up (aside from being fortunate enough to have two of the greatest college coaches that ever lived). For us, Mullen is a pivotal coach in our storied history. Currently, we live in this binary history of OBC and UM.... Mullen doesn't have to be as great as either one, but if he can just be as good as he was in Starkville, it could redefine our program in a positive, lasting way.

Despite the UK game, it appears that we made a sound decision and the other guys could be like our Rich Rods (reference to him passing up the Bama job)...and no, I'm not suggesting that CDM is Saban!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Frost is a good coach who got done in by the new generation of QB’s who transfer if they aren’t the starter. All his back ups left and I believe he lost his one scholarship QB in the opener. He had to start a walk on against Troy. At the most important position that is trouble. Too bad he couldn’t land Terry Wilson.

I never wanted Chip and I’m glad we didn’t get him. He wouldn’t be able to recruit

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Sophomore

Sep 25, 2016
    We dodged a bullet with Chip.

I still think Frost gets it done at Nebraska. Riley/Eichorst/Perlman left that place a dumpster fire.

I also think Mullen gets it done here. Gets it done= consistent 9+ win seasons, no cheating, minimal arrests. I’m fine with that, even if our spoiled, moronic fanbase isn’t.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Some wanted Taggart. So make that 1-7.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Important point. I hope most of our fans don't demand a Saban or believe Urban is worth the black eyes. Averaging 9+ wins, competing nationally sometimes, and running a clean program is the goal for me. Hopefully fans have learned that football doesn't define them or the school, and is something to seek excellence in but not at any price.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Frost does have ultra confidence. Believe me he knew what he was walking in to. Losing at home to Troy is on him. That should not happen.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bionicgator

bionicgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Lynn Haven, FL
    This week Nebraska is playing at Michigan. Frosty could be 0-3 with the cobbers.

8. gator_lyn

gator_lyn Junior

Oct 28, 2017
    We had our glory days and cheated to win some National Titles. Its the other Universities’ turns to cheat to win.

• Disagree x 5
    • Dislike x 3
    • Come On Man x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Agree x 1
  9. I resemble that remark. And I'm truly stunned by what has happened in Tallahassee, and super pleased *we* aren't dealing with that kind of mess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 All American

Sep 4, 2017
    Yep against the same Troy program who went into Death Valley last year and beat LSU who a week later came into the Swamp and defeated us.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Goin' for the popular vote, eh? :emoji_spy:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  12. UrbanGator

UrbanGator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Maitland, Florida
    Please explain how our cheating in the late 70’s won us championships in 96, 06 & 08?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    Taggert didn't bring his Oregon coaching staff with him. The best coaches stayed in Oregon, leaving him with his Willie in his hand.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Very nice Analysis Bolivia. I fully agree about Chip Kelly, never wanted him to be the Gators coach.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Frost has inherited a steaming dump and is playing a walk on QB. Taggert has a returning QB, returning offense (though like us, the value of a returning bad OL is questionable) and very good defensive talent. Taggert is by far the worse underperformer of those 2. However, I thought he was a bad hire (losing record all time) and am not surprised he is struggling, though I am surprised with the speed and size of the nole implosion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 All American

Sep 4, 2017
    Right. Outside of the Samford game, the Noles D has been solid. They just look like how we have looked; D holds and holds and then eventually cracks due to the ineptitude of the offense. I feel no remorse for them though

17. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships Freshman

Sunday
    Kelly is a joke. If Frost can’t win at Nebraska no one can

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. jackchen

jackchen Recruit

Sep 8, 2018
    Short after Taggert Will was hired, the Seminole AD left for a NCAA executive position. Why? Also, Jimbo F left Tallahassee for aTm. Why? For money? Maybe partially. The whore house is a mess. They both know more and better than most of us here. It would be great to see Seminole misery down in the next 3 or 4 years due to its prohibitive contract with Taggert W. Beat them and get elite players in the sunshine state.

• Agree Agree x 1