Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

0.1% inflation for March

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Apr 12, 2023.

1. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    my pt is simple. raising prices can lower, increase or even keep profit margins the same & that is true given any rate of inflation. Further, I think the changes in supply are the real reason for increases profits. not simply the raising of prices. changes in supply, not inf per se, are what is fairly diff IMO. I don't think we'd see such a phenomenon if this inf was caused purely by loose money.

Last edited: May 21, 2023
  2. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    I'd agree with supply chain causing inflation before I would "corporations using inflation as an excuse to raise prices." As you noted, generally speaking, if a company has prices set too high, they'll feel the wrath of god. While there may be more opportunities for profit here and there, that's part of being in a free market system. If corporations get too greedy, they get crushed. It's also undeniable that we doused the money supply fire more in a 2-year span from 2020 to 2022 than we ever have before in any previous 2-year span. The Fed moving heaven and earth to reverse that is further evidence that it was a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I’m not sure who you are replying to in this thread, but the point you are making here is the point I am making. You had a backward supply curve shift, with a static demand, resulting in higher prices, and higher profits. This is a natural result of the shift, not some management decisions on a whim to raise prices and screw consumers. Then add some demand stimulus to the mostly fixed short term backward shifted supply and it makes matters worse.

Of course in time things tend to equalize which is what we have been seeing.

This whole narrative of greedy corporations are causing inflation by increased profits by jacking up prices is exactly backwards. Supply and demand shifts cause prices to rise, which leads to higher profits.

4. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
  5. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    In the long run. We’ve had so much corporate consolidation that these market forces are slower - in my opinion - so you can great away with pricing increases for longer time periods. It’s why monopolies and oligopolies suck.

6. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    All of the scapegoating to avoid the cold hard truth economists have warned about for decades, which is that we over-juiced the money supply and thus we have inflation. If the money supply wasn't a concern, the Fed would keep interest rates at 0 and pump money all the time. M&A's have always happened in corporate America. Just accept it. We over-pumped.

7. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    You offered zero evidence in this thread other than your undying blind support of anything that you feel is a dig at the Biden administration. Transparently your argument abdicates any attempt to provide factual backing and resorts to “I just know”. You my friend, don’t know. By the way Fed funds rate was near zero for a decade until the pandemic and the Orange God was calling for it to be cut when he was in office. Low supply and profit taking caused 70%+ of the inflation. Stimulus was short lived, replaced lost revenue, never led to demand increases over prepandemic trend as most industries are selling far less units than 2019 but at higher prices.. not because people are buying more.. they aren’t.. because they have fewer to sell and make more money with higher prices and fewer units in uncompetitive markets.

IMG_0101.png

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    If you can read a graph, what do you think happens in the next year or so given the sharp spike in rates? Hint: starts with an "r" and ends with a "cession". It'll be Biden's recession. Trump +10.

9. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
  10. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Deflection. Now that you have given up supporting your claim you want to talk about the nasty side effects the Feds policy? Ok. The fed is making a mistake. No rate raise will fix supply shortage prices. Only time will.

11. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    These quoted economists are liberal think tanks with a left leaning agenda. Personally I don’t take them terribly seriously. As long as people are willing to pay more companies should charge more. That’s why they are in business. People can vote with their feet and shop elsewhere, buy a substitute or just don’t buy it in many circumstances.

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    actually a rate rise should slow the economy, slow demand, equalize supply and demand and hasten fixing supply shortages, and thus inflation.

13. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    Unnecessary and deleterious at this point IMO. Bank lending has finished the job. In any event in looking at bond yields it appears the market is pricing in a less than 25% chance of a rate hike. I suspect we may see a rate cut late 2023 or early 2024

14. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007

15. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    It’s like saying you’ll fix the bad gas efficiency of your car by crashing it. Sure you car won’t guzzle gas… but it’s destroyed.

Rates aren’t surgical. We have surgical shortages.

16. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Deflection would only be present if you had a legitimate argument that needed to be countered.

17. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Yeah, let’s compare a car to our $27 trillion economy.

18. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    More deflection. The point you have not laid out a single data point for is stimulus is causing current pricing to be high. I'd like to see that leg work. You stated it. Please support it so I can consider your statement of fact.

19. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    derp derp

20. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    From a recent report I received:

"For the first time in twenty years, credit card balances were flat in the first quarter after the fourth quarter holiday spending spree. According to the New York Fed... Interest bearing debt, as a percent of disposable income, dipped to 7.6% in Q1, after two years of increases from the historic COVID lows. This is relatively low, 20 years ago, credit card balances averaged 14% of disposable income."

FRED has the same pattern mentioned above,, historical lows, but a slightly higher raw percentage.

upload_2023-5-23_8-24-47.png