Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

‘White People Food’ Unattainable Picture Of Health

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Sep 3, 2018.

1. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Interesting article. Focuses on the challenges to eating healthy in African American cultural but highlights some of the overall barriers to nutrition in economically disadvantaged groups that crosses skin color or culture. Healthy food is expensive. However, our healthcare is outrageous due to some self inflicted factors like diet. I’m sure online bullying is important too.

‘White People Food’ Is Creating An Unattainable Picture Of Health | HuffPost

2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There is also the issue of healthy foods being available in many African American communities, so called healthy food deserts.
    But the salient point in the article, (and it applies to more than this article), is that it’s an issue of class as much or more than race. Go to a poor white community in the appalachia and their food isn’t any better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    You know, I'm sure that's out there. But I think there's a lot of African Americans who are clearly into eating well.

And this complaint is pretty ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Interesting. As mentioned social class is relevant. Hispanic? Asian?

Why is our country so overweight? Over 30% are obese. Michele obama attempted to at least talk about our overweight children. Since that is our biggest health concern (and cost). and of course the far right mocked her efforts led by Palin and rush. Who made fun of her being too fat.

5. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Collard greens and black-eyed peas used to be part of the diet that some southern blacks ate. They are not bad for you (unless cooked in bacon grease) and are not expensive. I don't know if the diet eaten by poor blacks is any worse than what poor whites eat (tons of potato chips washed down with super-sized soft drinks and cake for dessert, from what I can tell).

6. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    I used to work with several black people who were born and raised in Africa and the Caribbean islands. Based on the (delicious) foods I would see them bringing to work for lunch every day, I notice they tend to have diets that place an emphasis on brown/white rice, grilled chicken, fish and veggies. I've also noticed that they tend to be slimmer than their African American counterparts born here in the U.S.

7. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Meh. The article essentially places blame for poor eating habits on everyone besides the individual eating. Marketing, culture, white priveledge, etc. We live in a country where our poor people are fat. No other country is really like that. Other than people that literally have no access to decent food options there really is nobody to blame but the individual.

8. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    That's a cop out. When it is millions of individuals don't you think there is more to it than that? American poor arent any more self destructive or dumb than the poor in other countries... or is that your argument? The article doesn't blame, contrary to your assertion, but points out what the contributing factors are. The more you know...

[​IMG]

9. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    You're asking me if I think millions of individuals make poor decisions when it comes to diet? Let me count the number of fast food restaurants I pass on my way in to work today.

I also think millions of individuals make poor decisions when it comes to their exercise as well.

And pointing out the contributing factors is, indeed, blaming. What else would it be?

10. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Poor people can exercise.
    Poor people can buy rice and veggies.

I think it is more to do with food is comfort. Folks with harder lives use food as their escape.

No data...just an opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    Less educated people also smoke more than those with more education. It's about intelligent choices.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    What I am saying is if millions of people are choosing poorly here there are underlying reasons other than stupidity which you dont seem to entertain as a possibility.

13. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015

2 out of 14 seems almost like its representative of blacks in the US population.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    exactly. that's why i said the complaint was ridiculous.

15. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I admitted there can be issues with accessibility. Outside of that you can call it stupidity, laziness, or myriad similar things. What people put in their bodies is their choice. I've never met anyone that doesn't know what healthy eating looks like. Even the people in your article say they know what healthy eating looks like, it's what "white people eat." They teach you the food pyramid and healthy eating in elementary school. Eating healthy and staying active is no more expensive than eating like crap.

So no, I don't entertain the possibility that there is more to it than poor choices. If eating unhealthy is part of your culture, as the article acknowledges, that is a choice. Even when I was broke as crap I ate relatively healthy.

16. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    So why are we so much fatter than the rest of the world?

17. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Because our poor has access to food, unlike the poor of most every other country. And a large percentage of our country, not just poor people, choose to eat unhealthy and live a sedintary lifestyle.

18. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    We also have very powerful food and pharma lobby groups. They thrive on confusion and misinformation.
    And we subsidize crap like meat, dairy and HFCS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep. There's a girl from Uganda who brings in her own food and it's healthier than what even most whites eat here in the US. Lots of mashed bananas and banana leaves with chicken stew. What she gets appalled at us isn't the food we eat but how much we eat. For example, I usually go get a foot-long sub (Ham and Turkey w/cheese on half and just balsamic vinegar from Subway - just the sub no chips. I'll finish it and she says that would feed her entire family for a meal. Talk about feeling guilty.

• Like Like x 1