Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. ATTENTION VIP MEMBERS: Your favorite full color wall calendar with Gator sports schedules is on the way to you in the mail! Expect it in a week or two at most. Questions? Ask here.

‘The View’ star Joy Behar mocks Mike Pence’s Christian faith: ‘That’s called mental illness’

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by NOLAGATOR, Feb 14, 2018.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Why? Because he disagrees with things that you think he shouldn't?

2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Let's put it this way, if she had said, "The terrorists who say that Allah told them to blow themselves up must have a mental illness. Only crazy people hear voices demanding violence," how many people on this board would be upset?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tilly

Who on this board would taunt Muslim's if Behar had mocked them?

4. tilly

Well the "blow people up" caveat is a big one. Anyone claiming we should kill mass groups of people because God said to is insane. But they are not insane because they believe that God can speak.

5. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    Dude would have been considered a corny fuddy duddy even in 1950 for his whole "don't be in the same room alone with a woman that isn't your wife" and calling his wife "mother" thing. But that stuff is harmless, and maybe the least offensive thing about him. What I was thinking was that he's basically a bigoted culture warrior firmly wedded to an economic ideology that has nothing but contempt for the poor and marginalized, and serves the wealthy and advantaged, which is basically the opposite of Jesus' teachings.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    So then we're agreed that not just any Muslim joke would bother people? It would have to be something more than that. It would likely have to be discriminatory. Because if she were to aim her joke at religious people, instead of just Christians, that would also encompass Muslims, but I doubt anyone would be offended about her including Muslims.

Anyways, she probably should have kept her views to herself, but I did have a chuckle at people pointing out the irony here.

7. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    the lib women on the view spew hate

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    If you believe that God can speak to you, you really cant discern what are Gods commands and what are just your own desires, can you? And I assume if you believe God can speak, so can Satan, right? They probably sound the same. Of course from my POV the only voice in your head is your own, whether you want to call it God or your own unconscious desire telling you what to do or whatever.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    You honestly need to ask that question? Honestly?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He a better comedian than Joy-less Behar is. I cannot believe that any human being would want to be around that hateful person.

11. g8tr80

g8tr80 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The point of this - at least in my opinion - is why do entertainers need to offend anyone? Muslims, jews, christians, democrats, republicans etc. i don't know how this benefits the company that employs them. The entertainment industry is taking economic hits left and right. I see where the ratings of awards ceremonies ( the all star games of entertainment) are at all time lows. TV ratings are down especially those late night shows which offend half its potential audience. I see where sports - when they enter the political domain - also lose ratings. People aren't going to see movies. I don't necessarily think it is solely because of the overt political stances taken by actors, but it is a factor. I don't know. It just doesn't seem like good business.

And please, drop the Fox news tripe. It is a news and opinion channel. As is CNN and MSNBC. That is where political opinions are supposed to reside. I know what I am getting myself into when I tune in.

12. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Because humor generally offends someone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    The View already tops the daytime news talk ratings and draws about twice the average daily viewership of Fox & Friends, so it doesn't seem to be too bad of a model for them.

And The View is explicitly an opinion talk show. I don't think anyone is getting surprised by tuning into The View and hearing the hosts expressing their opinions.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    I get where you are coming from, but The View is an opinion show. I think they spend at least half of their show talking about topical news stories. That is what people expect when they tune in.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. tilly

But that is an exaggeration and maybe a misinterpretation of Jesus teachings. Look I am a moderate politically, especially with things like welfare. But this idea that a republican financial ideology is "contempt for the poor" is crazy. Contempt for lazy perhaps, but for honest poor folks? No way.

16. dynogator

dynogator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    It's actually an old joke. I've heard several versions of it. The punch line is always "if voices are talking back..."

17. tilly

I think it was a bad thing to say to any person of any faith. Had she said the Crusades were crazy, because they believed God told them to do it, I would be fine. But simply saying that anyone of faith that claims to be led by God is crazy is the epitome of the very intolerance she likely claims to hate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. tilly

Yes. I understand folks will taunt other faiths. (which is wrong) I meant that I doubt they would do it simply because Behar made a joke.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I know that unfortunately a very small group here like to belittle.

19. philobeddoe

philobeddoe Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    [​IMG]

20. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When Christians say that Jesus told them or they heard from Him, typically they do not literally hear a voice.

They hear a confirmation based on some questions: Is what is being asked of me Scriptural, as in should I give aid to this cause or go on this mission trip? Second, do coincidences seem to fall into place, do doors open that would typically not be? Lastly, do I have a peace and confidence about it? Or am I really fearful? Is there cognitive dissonance?

I know someone who is very very devout in their faith. Pray to start the day, pray to end the day. Knows the Bible like the back of the hand. Yet felt a calling one day to go over to another side of town...not the best part. Put it off. Put it off, until night came. So went there. Stopped. Waited. Stood there. Then a minority appeared with a gun. Robbery? Murder? No. The one with gun was going to commit suicide right there. It was stopped. The suicidal person was given the extra Bible that he had.....they parted a life saved, a gun broken and discarded. That is one case of "hearing Jesus".

I know of some others, including my own experience in going places and doing things that are extra ordinary. If you PM me I will share.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1