Zero Enroll in New LA Plan on Obamacare’s First Day

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Oct 3, 2013.

1. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,407
    Who can't get private insurance?

If you make below 133% of the poverty line in a state that expanded Medicaid you qualify for Medicaid, but considering that I make far more than that I don't exactly have the option of deciding that I would rather sign up for Medicaid instead. And I'm not 65, so no Medicare. And those are the only two "public insurance" options. Thus, private insurance for me.
  2. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +893
    Do you have a link? You can't really prove it's basic politeness or good manners. :ninja:
  3. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,051
    [​IMG]
  4. DieAGator

Ratings Received:
    +893
    I imagine the uninsured are surprised to find that for an individual any decent plan is such a substantial portion of their real income.

People are probably thinking:

"I get it now, this is like an Obama jobs plan, stimulus, or bailout, all smoke and mirrors"

"These prices are too high, the government must be lying again"

"I'll wait until prices come down because Obama said they would."

"Oh I can enroll at a later date if I'm sick, right?"

"hmm, lets see, pay a penalty or be stuck with a $5000 a year medical plan just to make Obama happy?"
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    So in other words, the poor are approved for Medicaid. Medicaid like what my sister had? The same Medicaid, that before she lost her life to cancer 4 months ago at the age of 28 with two babies, that wouldn't cover her stay at the UAB apartment complex? Which is where terminally ill patients, and/or overall sick patients stay while they're going through treatments. The same Medicaid that wouldn't cover some treatments which in the end tied her hands on what options she had to be treated and cured? The same Medicaid that pretty much let her just slowly feather away.... Hmmmm... I'll take my chances and my niece and nephew elsewhere before I let the government choose which one of us deserves to live or die.

^^^^^that's just my personal opinion. From first hand experience.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +296
    Until your employer decides it's cheaper to funnel you or your family to the exchange.
  7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +453
    Well yeah, most people would prefer to have private healthcare insurance to Medicaid. Most people would prefer to not be that poor as well. I don't think anybody (at least those on the left) are arguing that being poor and having Medicaid is better than being more well-off with private health insurance. But there is a trade off, where if Medicaid covers more treatments (or in this case rent), it costs the government more money and lowers the incentive to move to the next income group.

Obamacare limited the number of people who "couldn't" get private health insurance. Those with pre-existing conditions now can. Those who are under the age of 26 can if their parents have it and are willing to have them on their plan. Those that would have trouble paying for it are going to be fairly heavily subsidized. However, if you can't afford even the highly subsidized private insurance at low levels of income, then you can use government healthcare.
  8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +453
    If they do that, basic econ would there are two options for the result:

1. The company was right to do this, they won't lose employees over this because they raised compensation in other manners (which would apparently be more optimal for both their employees and the firm) or were previously "over-compensating" their employees (ie. they were paying too much for their employees since they could pay less and their employees wouldn't leave).
    2. The company is wrong to do this and they now would lose their quality employees to competitors that still offer insurance. At this point, the firms that act in a more economically optimal manner (in this case providing insurance) will grow while the irrational firms will decline.
  9. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    There is likely a lot more truth to the bolded part than many are willing to admit..

Since this abomination was passed, the lemming masses kept hearing it would be free. Now they are learning otherwise.
  10. DieAGator

Ratings Received:
    +893
    You are assuming some companies will use healthcare as a tool for recruiting. It could happen except they will have the same constraints as the competitor that stops offering insurance. Most companies in same industry have similar costs and margins so it's unlikely that someone will find a company in that industry with such an advantage that they can offer private insurance policies as incentive. Now, if you add that workers might find insurance by changing industries altogether it makes more sense. But that transition is very difficult for most workers.
  11. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    why should employers have to pay for health insurance? just let people buy their own health insurance like they do life insurance and homeowners insurance--very simple.
  12. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    Sounding alot more like SR22 car insurance