You're Not Special ...

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,496
    That's what I told a lady today, well, in so many words. Context; business luncheon today. Topic: corporate wellness. Format: panel of health and fitness professionals.

When the subject turned to metabolic ward studies, the lady loudly remarked, with a chuckle, how such a study would merely reveal that her metabolism 'doesn't work.'

So, boldly, I approached her afterwards, handed her my card and gently suggested that her metabolism was working just fine. She immediately became defensive and informed me that, oh no, there was something wrong with her metabolism, that she wasn't joking.

Curious, I asked her if she had been diagnosed with a defective metabolism. She then altered course a bit and informed me that she'd been diagnosed pre-menopausal at the age of 36. She then clearly projected a desire to be rid of me.

So, as she literally moved to almost run from me I told her, "Look, never mind me helping you. Consider that off the table for now. But can you help me ? Please, if you have the time, please email me and explain to me why working with you would be any different than working with any other female who wanted to lose weight."

I'll be interested to see if she takes up the challenge. I very much fear that she's like so many for whom the diagnoses that they've gotten are now serving as a built-in excuse or even a magic talisman.

But back to the thread title, no, I've STILL not seen any evidence for a broken metabolism. In the field, never mind pre-menopausal women, I see insulin-dependent diabetics losing weight in the very same way that perfectly healthy people lose weight.

And seriously, which is more empowering, "I'm broken" or "I'm screwing up" ? Or, as weight-loss guru Leigh Peele puts it, "You WANT to be wrong!"
  2. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +357
    Miami has a better chance of winning the national championship than you have of hearing from that woman.
  3. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    people are in denial about their situation. in reality, people just need to toughen up and realize that it's going to take a lot of hard work and dedication to achieve their goals...it's simply easier to just say that there is something wrong/make excuses instead of actually do the work.
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,496
    I know, kk. I know. But I was actually a little pissed-off by her public remarks ... if only because I saw other women in the audience seemingly nodding in approval. Wish I'd at least been on the panel.
  5. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    I definitely hate that ladies attitude, it is so defeatist. Its amazing how the harder you work at diet and exercise the better your genetics get. Hmm?

I am sure there are things that you could be diagnosed with that effect metabolism for example an underactive thyroid. But guess what they have meds for that.
  6. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    Typical lack of accountability, and that is going to be the DEATH of our society (figuratively and literally).

It's never YOUR fault (i.e. a direct consequence to your decisions), it's something else's fault. Face it, you are fighting an uphill battle, and the world is against you. Failure is just a sign that the battle is too tough.
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,496
    ^ Mark my words: one day it will be a hate crime to sat stuff like this.
  8. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +285
    ^^ Em not to go all political. We've drifted away from accountability more every nano-second. One of the problems of plurality.
  9. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,496
    It's okay by me. Sometimes we're more controversial here than on Too Hot.

Everything is either a disease or an addiction these days.
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    I would much rather have arguments with IFers and Crossfitters than Republicans or Democrats.