Your Preseason Top 25: is UF in it

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by garettk, Feb 12, 2014.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    Completely agree on rankings not being done until at least 6 weeks in... no "official" rankings anyway.

People will always be doing their own guesses on which teams are strongest.
  2. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,083
    Yeah but they eventually work themselves out. I think preseason rankings are fine because they are basing off of the current talent potential.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    But the preseason rankings tilt the game in favor of the highly ranked teams and against more lowly ranked or unranked teams before we even know how good any of the teams are. Especially in the case where there are significant differences in strength of schedule.

A highly ranked team can take a loss early, still be ranked and then climb back up in the rankings, beating teams that aren't very good.

A lowly ranked team to start might take awhile to climb into the top 25, then play a tough game and lose, and get dropped right back out. And that team could in fact be every bit as good as the team that started out highly ranked and lost early but climbed back up the polls.

I think polls would probably be a lot more accurate if not taken until several weeks in, after people saw how teams were really playing.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,083
    Yeah but what fun will that be walking around saying we're number "NR" ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    We are a top 25 team preseason. The schedule is brutal, so whether or not we end the season in the Top 25 is a different story...I say we do. With the roster changes many other teams are facing, I think we will win 1 or 2 that we aren't expect to!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,151
    I'm more worried about losing one that we AREN'T expected to. I have faith, given how close UF was to winning a big game last year, that UF can knock someone off. But they have to prove they also won't lose to a team like Vandy or UT by 17...
  7. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,425
    We got the right 'leader' for that distinction.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +314
    Maybe we shouldn't be ranked because of our record last year.
    However if we aren't ranked fairly high by the end of the year based on our last 4 years of highly ranked recruiting then the problem isn't the players
  9. phillyblount

phillyblount Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +235
    As always, rankings will take care of themselves, especially with our schedule.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. VanNoord

VanNoord Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    No. 25 sounds about right.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    Zook style, our prestige will get us around 20, and we'll drop out of it sooner rather than later
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 All Glory to Zarathustra VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,753
    1) UFS
    2) Alabamia
    3) Aubrin
    4) Meetchicken State
    5) Stanford (yes we can read and write).
    6) OSpU
    7)USCw
    8)Oregon
    9) LasSU
    10) Texass
    15) UF
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Florida is a top 25 team for sure. 3 reasons:

1. Injured players are going to be back, and the worst of the team (OL) will/should be fully healthy, and the new recruiting class should add quality depth with quite a few players who can contribute early.

2. The defense returns stars. One thing we all know, and can agree on is the fact that Will Muschamp can and will field a perennial top 5-10 national defense. Believe me when I say the media does not forget that, and also does not forget that we have Dante Fowler Jr, John Bullard, (plus two quality DT's who can contribute in Cummings, and Orr), Mike Taylor and Antonio Morrison will also be back, and no one can forgot the phenom that is Vernon Hargreaves. Dante Fowler was quoted saying "Give us 21, and if we give up more than that's on us", and a defense that is expected to give up less than 21, usually deserves to be in the top 25.

3. Last but not least the most important thing, Kurt Roper. Who is bringing back, and instilling a spread, up tempo, and no huddle offense. Finally, the coaches have figured it out that not only Florida's roster, but Florida's QB's are spread QB's. Roper should finally get the OL to gel together under an offense they can be familiar with, and the QB's (Driskel) should be comfortable running an offense dedicated to his type of skill set, zone reads and such.

So yes, I not only believe Florida is a top 25 team, but also will bounce back drastically from last year.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,974

I like this post... And I agree 100%.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +870
    15-18. Preseason rankings are all about how you look on paper. And we look really good on paper. Driskel is back, Kelvin Taylor is the truth. The defense is going to be stout.

Where will we end up? Not a clue. We have the talent to be a top ten team. We have the offensive track record to be unranked. No idea how it will go. It will be a fun to find out.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatorgrad92

gatorgrad92 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +482
    In short, no, UF is not in my preseason top 25. I don't think we belong there until we show we can win games we're supposed to win. If we can decisively win our first three games, then I think we might deserve to be in the upper teens.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,081
    We may end up a top 25-caliber team in 2014, but I doubt seriously that we will be in the top 25 preseason. Most voters who pick the teams base it on (a) the previous year's record and (b) the number of returning starters. Looking at the rankings of Florida since 1990 (College Football Ranking comparison fromo 1996-2013):

Year-------------Previous year------Preseason------------Final--------Notes

1990.........................26th........................21st....................................8th............Loaded team, new system
    1991............................8th...........................3d....................................7th
    1992............................7th...........................8th.................................10th............12 lost starters
    1993..........................10th..........................10th..................................5th
    1994............................5th............................4th..................................7th
    1995............................7th.............................5th.................................2d
    1996............................2d..............................4th..................................1st
    1997............................1st..............................1st...................................4th
    1998............................4th.............................3d....................................5th
    1999............................5th.............................6th.................................12th..............12 lost starters
    2000..........................12th............................9th.................................10th
    2001...........................10th............................1st...................................2d..................Loaded team
    2002.............................2d.............................6th................................25th................12 lost starters, new system
    2003...........................25th.........................23d..................................23th................13 lost starters
    2004...........................23th.........................14th................................25th................13 lost starters
    2005...........................25th............................9th...............................14th.................Loaded team, new system
    2006...........................14th............................6th.................................1st..................Loaded team
    2007.............................1st.............................6th................................13th................13 lost starters
    2008...........................13th.............................5th.................................1st.................Loaded team
    2009.............................1st..............................1st..................................2d..................Loaded team
    2010..............................2d..............................4th..............................27th.................12 lost starters
    2011............................27th............................22d...............................35th.................12 lost starters, new system
    2012............................35th............................21st................................6th..................Loaded team
    2013..............................6th............................12th..............................63d..................Train wreck

Average................11th.......................9th........................13th

Number of times the preseason rankings was five rankings or less than the previous year's final ranking: 17 of 24 years (71%).

Number of times Florida finished higher than in preseason: 7 of 24 years (29%)

Number of times Florida finished lower than in preseason: 16 of 24 years (66%)

It is clear that for most years, the preseason rankings are largely a reflection of the previous year's rankings.
  18. wulimaster

wulimaster Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    I'm going to pretend I don't know we're ranked. That will help me keep expectations minimal and save myself health problems.
  19. garettk

garettk Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +301
    A couple of observations: 1) Wow, I forgot just how great the 90's were; 2) Based on average preseason vs. actual finish, UF (albiet very little I would argue) is overrated (caveat, 2013 absolutely skews average).
  20. kalaniocc

kalaniocc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +938
    hopefully uf is in the postseason top 25. and that's all i have to say about that.