Your commute?

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by deathroll, Aug 19, 2013.

1. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +596
    Curious to know if anyone's ever had a 1 hour job commute or known folks that have? How long did that last?

Thanks.
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,351
    I have one now. It sucks.

I have been doing it for 6 months and am looking to move closer to work.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,062
    been driving 67 miles one way(takes an hour 15 to 20) for past 10 tears-recently signed a contract to sell biz-sale closes next Mon so no more drive oohhhrahh
    • Like Like x 1
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,351
    If mine were open road it would be easier, but DC traffic with everyone cutting everyone off is mind numbingly annoying.

And congrats of the sale.
  5. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,770
    I once had a job where I had to drive 45 minutes there and about 1+ hr home. It lasted 2 years before they fired our team leader who could run the whole place better than anyone above him. They brought in this idiot who did nothing all day but micro manage and I went off on him. So I was fired. :)
  6. bmfgator

bmfgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    Done it a long time. No big deal! Thank goodness for Sirrius!
  7. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +585
    My wife had a job with a 1:15 commute. We live in the East Valley of Phoenix (Gilbert), and the job was all the way in the West Valley (Goodyear). Had to fight traffic all the way through downtown, then it opened up for the last 10 miles or so. Job was ok, but hated the commute. Boss blindsided her and fired her. Found a job located next to the airport about a month later that paid a little less, but the commute is only 35-40 minutes. Much happier now.

If the drive is mostly open road, an hour+ commute is annoying, but better than a commute that is fighting traffic a good portion of the way. Fighting traffic is just more draining, and it takes a lot out of the average person.
  8. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +239
    Had a 1-hour commute when I moved to CA in the early 80's. Lasted about three years before I was able to find another job and better place to live. It was tough and the traffic worn me out.
  9. ufrulz2

ufrulz2 Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +206
    When I lived on Long Island, for a year my commute consisted of the following: driving to the LIRR (5-7 minutes), parking and climbing the train platform (3 minutes), waiting for the train (in a perfect world, no more than 3-4 minutes), taking the train to Jamaica (no, not THAT Jamaica) and switching to a Brooklyn-bound train (20 minutes), taking THAT train to Flatbush Avenue (20 minutes), trudging through the station to the subway (5-6 minutes), waiting for the subway (5-10 minutes), riding three stops to Borough Hall (8-10 minutes), and then a 10 minute walk to the federal courthouse. And believe it or not, it really wasn't all that bad, because unlike my law-firm days, I knew I would leave the office at 5:30 on the dot -- meaning I'd be home by 7 at the latest.

Yes, an hour+ commute sucks. But it's all relative.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,239
    My commute is only 3.5 miles (if I decide to go to office at all)! On nice days of fall and spring I'll ride my bike or run.

Did a lot of commuting when I began my business. Routinely drove 3-4 days a week up to 3 hours each way. Once work was steady enough, I hired employees that were physically located closer to the majority of our work.

Recently had a guy resign due to burnout from long commutes so it does wear old.
  11. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,959
    I work from home. I *wish* I had a commute :ninja:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gatorjjh

gatorjjh BS Jm, UF Class of '69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,280
    I telecommute - in Palm Coast 2 hours from my residence, but 20 minutes from my grandkids- I make the drive Sunday evening then back to Irvine on Friday evening - it works for me I think the drive time is less important than what is at the other end, a job you like - or in my case the grandkids make the drive (and being away from my house in the scrub south of Micanopy) well worth it :)
    • Like Like x 2
  13. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +576
    Commuted an hour each way for many years. Quite often ended the trip in a bad mood and often worked later to avoid traffic. Now commute 15-20 min, better quality of life , but make a lot less.
  14. ufMIB

ufMIB Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
    86 miles one way for me since February, only takes me an hour and 15 min. Almost All rural interstate, never any traffic. I'd take my drive now over 45-60 min in heavy traffic. I work road construction and have all kinds of different commutes. This is the longest so far.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. GolphinGator

GolphinGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    I did it a couple of years ago for a year from Silver Springs to my office in Gainesville. I didn't mind it so much other than the miles on the vehicle and the cost of the gas seemed like a waste. I had a couple of advantages as I could choose either 441 or I-75 depending on the drive time and mood or weather. I also own the business so was not going to get any heat from being late. The plus side is being able to chill out and listen to the radio mainly sports in my vehicle. Again though I was driving in low traffic making good time on most days.
  16. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,770
    I used to install and re-screen pool cages and we would do jobs 2-3 hours away all the time. Sometimes we just got a hotel and stayed a week until the job was done.
  17. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    I have a friend that commutes from Lakeland to Clearwater (over an hour in good traffic). Been doing it for 30 years!

My commute is 15 minutes when I go into work (usually twice/week). I spend about $30 month on gas. Most of that is to and from the golf course!
  18. MtownGator

MtownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +284
    Me no- I'm lucky.
    There are several (11) mechanics that drive an hour to 1.5 hours to work.
    If the money is right then they will make the trip and keep their family far from the city bs.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    My commute to work is about 25 min, not so bad. However, I'm in a master's program at UCF...and I live in Tampa...in Westchase at that (adjacent to Oldsmar). So twice a week, I drive TWO HOURS each way to UCF...starting to get used to it though. I can listen to a lot of good techno/tech-house podcasts on these trips and to tell the truth, I kind of like the commute now. Have some good friends in O-Town, so it's a good opportunity to see them as well. I just don't like spending so much money on gas...
    • Like Like x 1
  20. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Glad I don't have such a problem. Mine is 20-25 minutes, and I'm still thinking about moving closer to the office.
    • Like Like x 1