You got to be kidding me!!

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PSGator66, Mar 21, 2014.

1. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

I think that would be about the law of unintended consequences as it relates to our society becoming more accepting of people of size. That's not fat bashing but the proverbial "Camel's Nose in the Tent" scenario. It leads to some strange ideas and the people who think incrementally probably don't see the harm in any singular step along the way. One day it's no longer making fun of fat people, the next it's including them in the Americans With Disabilities Act, then ultimately it's allowing them to get away with murder.
  2. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Um, okay? Incremental thinking, as policy forming, is a bad idea? Works for me.
  3. fastsix

I'm just saying we shouldn't allow fat people to get away with murder just because they're fat. Sure, it seems like a good reason, but it's really not.
  4. tegator80

I presume you are saying that being a former male is justification for murder then fat should also is the next logical place to rationalize, I guess - with the understanding that this is veering the thread off-course - that the ACA and the idea that everyone is treated equally in the eyes of healthcare - kind of gives them a free pass towards their behavior. Make poor lifestyle choices a dynamic as to what healthcare costs them (including the actual doctor's costs and not just the premiums) and I think you would see a lot less fat - and cigarette addicted - people in the US.

My only reason for my original post is that there is a slippery slope from giving people a sense that it isn't their fault that ________. That is all.
  5. fastsix

No, I'm saying the slippery slope argument is ridiculous in this instance. Allowing people to be transgender no more sets up a defense for murder than allowing people to be fat does, and as far as I know, the only person arguing it does is the guy on trial.
  6. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Um, so what are you saying? You said it the unintended consequences of laws we've passed and behavior we've allowed. But not really?
    You said it's the slippery slope of what we've done. But you didn't mean it?
  7. tegator80

Okay, I am in agreement. The guy (girl?) is trying to get out of a murder charge anyway he/she can. My point was...he/she wouldn't have thought of that tack if we haven't started down the path we are on. Nothing more.
  8. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

If she looks like this now, I'll accept her defense.

[​IMG]