You could see the shutdown coming?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ces1948, Oct 13, 2013.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,308
    This. Murphy through a wide open TD out of bounds (on a beautifully designed play with a wide open tight end) because he had two LSU guys wrapped around his legs

Sent from my All knowing Android Device
  2. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,308
    I keep getting ripped for this....but on TV I can't tell. So someone inform me...where are the open WR? I rarely see them.

Sent from my All knowing Android Device
  3. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    murphy needs to get rid of the ball quicker, especially with the terrible oline. He's not comfortable throwing the ball yet after a 3 step drop.
  4. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    that's a hard thing to spot without those end zone cams which show all 22 players at once; tv angles suck.
  5. BigSlick

BigSlick Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    THIS^^^ I was yelling QUICK before every snap, even I could figure out we had NO TIME to drop back and throw!!
  6. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    I don't think Murphy was caught in any system.....other than LSU's systematic blitzes on passing downs. Once LSU showed what they were going to do when we needed 5+ yards, we never adjusted to have some safety valves available. The O-line was getting destroyed and the backs we kept in to block were not very effective either. I'd like to have seen a few double TE sets where we could slip the TE into the space that the blitzing LB just vacated. I've seen Bama do that countless times, but the O-line needs to block for at least 3 seconds for that to work. LSU was the better team on the field Saturday and we had no answers for their defensive calls.
  7. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    Our offensive play calling is unimagitive. Our Oline cannot dominate a good efensive line. The QB gets little time to make his reads, there are few holes for the backs to hit. Our WR's are Ok but before they can run their route the QB is running for his life.
    Question: Is it the players, scheme, coaches? Or what...?
  8. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,057
    Yeah well I keep thinking "move your QB out of the way". What weren't they thinking?
  9. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    the only shutdown in this game was by the lsu defense. plain and simple. it is the same people on every thread talking about... throw throw throw. maybe we would have if the O-line could have handled their front four and blitz packages. but we couldn't and there were no chance to throw. we were outmatched in the trenches. its blows up the whole offensive gameplan.
  10. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,565
    Agree...but the OL wasn't blocking for the run either. Bottomline is if the OL doesn't show up there's no passing game OR running game. It's not rocket science. I think the folks complaining about the passing game have legitimate concerns. If you don't see it you haven't been watching much Florida football the last 3 seasons. If the OL had just played on-par (win some, lose some - in the trenches), we would have seen better production (or should have, no telling what would have happened in the redzone w/ this offense). However, you've posted this same sentiment in a few threads now....we get it, YOU said we have to run more...NOT pass more. But NEITHER of those were working on Saturday!
  11. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    cool man. the OL blocked a hell of a lot better in the run game than the pass game. last thing you want to do against lsu at lsu is get behind the down and distance, with a qb making his first big road start. we ran the ball for an average 4.5 yards on first down. not too bad. if your getting 4/5 yards on first down then you making second and third down much more manageable. then we go to throw on second down, get sacked, or murphy is pressured, has to throw it away, getting knocked down. it wasn't pretty. and yes i watch the games, all of them, season ticket holder before you go down path. i will continue to post that we should run the ball this much until the o-line can pass protect. if they can protect i am all for throwing the ball. i think its essential to be more balanced, but against lsu the pass game was a bad option, which is obvious , in case you didn't watch the game.
  12. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,032

You know, this is a very good point and interesting that you brought it up when I commented similarly in another post.

This Gator O has so far averaged over 400+ ypg until LSU. Against UT, UK, and then Arkie, this offense was pretty well balanced and productive and began making so big plays to move the chains and keep drives alive, and even got more efficient in the RZ, but...

I said something similar to what you said during the third quarter of the Arkansas game, that I noticed that we were sitting on the lead on the Hawgs and just sitting back and playing defense and field position.

Then Arkie got a FG and made it a two score game with almost the entire 4th quarter left, and then I noticed how we drove down and got a final TD to put the game out of reach.

I got ansty there for a while, but I too saw the "slowing down" of the offense, the perverbial "foot off the gas pedal" so-to-speak, and then this game happens at LSU.

Against LSU, I said all week they were going to come after Murphy heavily and that we should have spread the OL out, spread the field, and force them to place us man-on-man and leave a lot of room for TM to run and scramble when he needed to. With their younger defense, it would have given us an advantage.
  13. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +924
    Murphy wasn't the problem it was the protection or lack thereof.