You could see the shutdown coming?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ces1948, Oct 13, 2013.

1. ces1948

ces1948 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +222
    This is about Tyler Murphy. When he came in against Tennessee we didn't know quite what to expect but were very excited by the outcome. Tyler seemed to have that "something". Against Kentucky the excitement continued with some nicely improvised plays and some nice down the field completions. Against Arkansas though the big shut down was coming as the staff clearly wanted Tyler to play "within" the system. Yesterday the transition was complete. It was like Tyler was "stuck" and did nothing and was given nothing to work with. So now we have another guy who will spend the week second guessing himself and thinking he was the problem.
  2. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Its a theory. Hard to argue with. Did we even throw an incompletion down the field yesterday? A lot of people will say we didnt have time throw down field but it only takes a 3 step drop to left a fade 30 yards down the sideline if you have 1 on 1 coverage, which we should have seen as much as they were blitzing and crowding the line. Or roll the QB out to buy some time and take a shot. With not ever throwing down field and bleeding the clock, yesterday was perfect execution of the "dont try" offense.
  3. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    No
  4. Jyork

Jyork Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    He overthrew Dunbar for a touchdown in the end zone. A couple other incompletes,but I agree we didn't take enough shots down field
  5. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +555
    shutdown?? you can't couldn't be watching the same game that i was. i saw a team that everytime we tried to throw the ball, had defenders in the backfield in about two seconds. unreal. the offensive staff didn't shut him down, lsu's defense shut the whole offense down. just to clarify that point.
  6. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +248
    Not hard to shut down a team that never throws downfield.
    Never throws on first down.
    Just stack the box.
    There are teams who have less talent this year that did far better on offense against LSU
    Than UF
  7. gator07

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Yep. Youre right. Thanks.
  8. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,364
    Well, UT and UK are probably two of the three worst teams we play. LSU is probably one of the top 2 teams we'll play.

So the competition probably has a little bit to do with it.
  9. gator07

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I would also add - what happened to the zone read? Only saw it a couple of times. This is a play that works well for us but mysteriously disappears from our playbook randomly. And please don't start with the we need to protect our QB stuff. He can protect himself.
  10. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I agree, no zone read with JD and none with Tm. They run it some, but not nearly enough. Both Qb's were recruited by UM, and both are better suited for that type of offense. We keep trying to stick square pegs in round holes. TM can play both sytems, but our OL is so porous at times, he can't stand back in the pocket and throw down field.
  11. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    When I read the title to this thread, I had to look back to make sure I wasn't in Too Hot forum.
  12. nunurbizness59

nunurbizness59 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    They didn't stack the box, they blew us up with a 4 man rush
  13. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    They blitzed a lot. Usually when it was a passing situation, because we send signals to the opposing team that we are reluctantly now going to try to throw a short pass.
  14. TWGator

TWGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +108
    No. The plays were there. Our OL got absolutely destroyed Saturday. You can plan to throw the ball downfield all you want, but it just won't work if your QB is being constantly harassed.
  15. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +612
    Two plays that should have been but were blown up by no protection. First was when Burton lined up at TE and went right down the middle of the field, was wide open....TM had about 2 seconds to throw. I don't even think this was a blitz, pressure came straight up the middle. Second was the crossing pattern by Westbrook? Again, wide open on a RZ play that should have scored and Murphy had very little time. You can blame this on Murphy all day long but the line and RBs have got to give you at least a couple seconds to make your reads. Taylor ran great but totally whiffed on a couple blocks.
  16. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +783
    I saw many times where an offensive lineman was pushed backwards or abused on his butt (Halapio). I lost count how many times LSU was in the backfield. Tyler never stood a chance with this offensive offensive line. Yeah he could run, but remember if he goes down, we won't win another game. They are protecting him through this gauntlet and it's the first game of this gauntlet too.

I thought maybe this offensive line was getting worse every game while other teams seem to improve every game (Alabama). Then I remember who we have played so far - none have a defense anywhere as good as LSU. Georgia's defense may look awful against high-powered offenses, but they will be every bit as good as LSU's when we play them. Really, outside of Vandy and Ga Southern, every team will have a Top 5 defense.
  17. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +890
    Exactly. Same as last half of the 2012 season -- everyone wanted to blame Driskel/Pease/Muschamp for not throwing deep passes, when it was pretty obvious that there was not enough protection for Driskel to do that without being sacked.
  18. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,431

Yep. Not much to dissect here. The OL cost the offense in every aspect (not to let the DL off for giving up 180+ yards either, but our O couldn't do a damn thing because the play was busted before it could develop).
  19. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +535
    People see what they want to see.

Our OL SUCKED. That is what happened.
  20. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +407
    simple formula why we can't throw downfield. It takes 2 things

1. Time for the route to develop meaning OL protection
    2. Receivers that can get separation

We have neither, the 1st point is more troubling because I feel with Drob, Fulwood, and next year Ermon Lane and JC Jackson your starting to see playmakers one of these guys has to pan out